I had the original colant (2003 with 54k) and yesterday and today I noticed the temp gauge rising during the 98* day. It went to about 3/4 mark, and it normally DOES NOT MOVE from the midway mark. I knew I was overdue, so I flushed the system completely, and while I had the stuff apart, I replaced both hoses and the thermostat.
The manual says you need to remove the thermostat to flush the block/system anyway, so for $20, I put a new one in. The hoses were about $10 each.
As for the radiator fan fix. there was a write up on this a while back. I'm not sure if it still exists, but I read it on the old board and remembered enough to help out Steve on a Jamboree in May. His fan got caked after this pass:
So we pulled the fan shroud and then fan during lunch. It was pretty straight forward. Two screws to get the shroud out. Then hand tools to take the fan motor apart. Once installed, I took a toothbrush to his radiator to remove the MAJOR buildup, and he was good as gold.
(NOTE: he doesn't have the mechanical fan.)
By the way, the fan will only come on with the engine RUNNING, not just the key in hte ON position and AC on. It's too smart for us dopes and our test lights.
Here's the pic of us taking it apart. I'm the one behind the lense
