| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Official service manual or generic? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10534 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | hallb4 [ Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Official service manual or generic? |
Hey guys, I tried looking this up in the forums using the search engine but I could not find anything about it. I am a novice mechanic and I was wondering if it is worth the $70 price difference to get the official service manual over a 3rd party one from Barnes & Noble? I had a 3rd party one for my '88 XJ and it was very useful. I am not sure what is included in the official manual that makes it so much better. |
|
| Author: | n3qik [ Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:06 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Spent the $70, one mistake on the electrical system could cost that and them some. |
|
| Author: | chetos [ Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:59 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Official service manual or generic? |
hallb4 wrote: Hey guys, I tried looking this up in the forums using the search engine but I could not find anything about it. I am a novice mechanic and I was wondering if it is worth the $70 price difference to get the official service manual over a 3rd party one from Barnes & Noble?
I had a 3rd party one for my '88 XJ and it was very useful. I am not sure what is included in the official manual that makes it so much better. Where can you get one for $70.00. The ones if seen are for way over that price...thanks. |
|
| Author: | n3qik [ Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Got one from dealer for $ 106.44 w/tax for the CD. |
|
| Author: | waddy whiteguts [ Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:26 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Watch ebay for used ones, I got my 02 KJ factory manual for somewhere around $25-30. The factory manual is much much much better than any aftermarket book. The level of detail is so much deeper. |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:34 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
The factory manual will tell you how to take the jeep apart. The haynes manual will tell you some useful stuff, but no where near in-detail. |
|
| Author: | Saber [ Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Official service manual or generic? |
The haynes and chilton should give you all you need for most repairs, but if you need anything electrical they suck. There electrical schematic are poor |
|
| Author: | corwyyn [ Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:30 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I would go with the FSM if you can get one. I have a pdf copy of the '03 FSM and it has helped soooo much with some of the things I have had questions about doing. Not like some of the manuals from other manufacturers that look like the installation instructions for the skids and other items - lots of drawings but very little text. I hate manuals like that |
|
| Author: | hallb4 [ Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Thanks for the help guys. I will add that to my list of jeep purchases! BTW I just looked through eBay and saw some CD versions for $50 - 60 for those who asked. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|