LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Stuck in the mud.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11328
Page 1 of 1

Author:  DJBassman [ Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Stuck in the mud.

Ok, yes you all are going to make fun of me, no there are no pic's.

I went to the bank to get some cash and low and behold I see this mud hole. Two very deep ruts, two somewhat deep ruts and just plain surface mud. I just bought some BFG AT KO and I wanted to see how they do on the surface mud, knowing full well that I don’t want to go into the ruts.

So I am not even in 4wd, I am on the surface mud and I pass by the two shallow ruts slowly as I was just wanting to stay on the surface mud. It does, I check the tires and the path, seem ok. And it is what I expected. No real slipping and all.

So on the way back out of this area I am passing next the real deep ones, I am on the surface going slow and I guess I was closer than I thought. Now the funny part. I sneeze, I jerk the wheel and now the Libby is sliding down into the deep rut. I try to turn out of it, no use it is still going down, I try to give it gas, but it already stopped in the mud. Half of it is on the surface mud, half of it is in the rut and water is half way up the two tires. I check to see if the bottom of the Libby is touching the top edge of the rut and it is not, a good 6 inches.

So I think a bit and put it into 4hi, thinking that I don’t have a locker and the traction control would kick in. I do that and the wheels spin and no movement. I know that the traction control is working because of the status lights and I can feel it applying breaks and the tack shows it is cutting back on the engine. But it did not move. So I placed it into 4lo and tried to go as slow as possible. Still no movement. So I wondered what the deal was. So I gun it a bit to see the mud spray up, to see which wheels are really turning. I was thinking the two in the rut was turning and the two on the more solid ground were not. No, to my surprise all the wheels were turning, but it was not moving. After trying for about 15 minutes, the Libby dug itself lower and now the edge of the rut is hitting the bottom so now I know I can not get it out.

I had to call my wife, and in her 2001 Ford Taurus, come out and help pull me out. She was laughing up one side and down the other. She says, your were going to the bank, how the heck did you get lost! She got there just in time to see that a guy in a 4x4 truck had stopped and pulled me out.

Now that you’re done laughing. :lol: Why did I get stuck? If all 4 wheels were turning, why did I not move forward since two of the wheels were on more solid ground?

Author:  kolesy [ Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

HAHA Nice bank run!!! :lol:

You were probably high centered underneath.

Author:  krazz1e [ Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

fyi - your AT KO's aren't a mud tire - they get caulk up quick with mud and they are slicks...... next time, floor it and keep your momentum going, this will throw the mud outta the tire so you get some traction, very similar driving in snow.

nothing to be ashamed of, live and learn.

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

HAHAHAHA!!! :lol: :D :twisted:

Thats the craziest thing Ive ever heard!!! I can now say ive heard of people sneezing and getting stuck!!

I would say it was caught on something that you couldnt see. You would of needed to get out and look everything over really good to see where it was bottomed out. My rear diff was barely caught on a stump one time. Even with my locker, it wouldnt go anywhere. I just backed up and went around it. Im proud to say ive never been stuck, been very close, but not once...Even at the bank... :wink: :roll: :lol:

Edit: Just think if you were not driving the jeep and were in a car. You wouldnt of wanted to go through mud, and could of been driving down the road and hit someone headon!!! B/C of a sneeze!! :o

Author:  chetos [ Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

There's this dirt road near our local Lowes that's a short cut to take home. The only vehicles I've ever seen on this are Jeeps. :D Anyway, we had a lot of rain one night. The next day this 'road' is pure mud. I slopped and slipped the whole and if it wasn't for me just keep a constant speed, I would've been stuck just like you. One of these days, I'll slip into one of those ruts and it will be me making a phone call!!!

Author:  DJBassman [ Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

I am in colorado springs, co. I don't think it is your lowes. oddly enough, this was behind two auto stores, advance auto and auto zone.

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

DJBassman wrote:
I am in colorado springs, co. I don't think it is your lowes. oddly enough, this was behind two auto stores, advance auto and auto zone.


He never said anything about that being your lowes? :?

Author:  DJBassman [ Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jeepjeepster wrote:
He never said anything about that being your lowes? :?


Sorry, I miss read that. Must be the mud in my eyes.

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

First problem was to go play in mud in 2-wheel drive. Second, going slow. Did you try reverse? It is possible that you were caught on something....shock mounts, rear control arm mount, etc but still look like you have clearance. Go to the Jeep website and to the owners section and study up on how to drive through mud.
A sneeze that embarassed a KJ. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Author:  chetos [ Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

DJBassman wrote:
Jeepjeepster wrote:
He never said anything about that being your lowes? :?


Sorry, I miss read that. Must be the mud in my eyes.


You know that with the 'Jeep Wave Point System' being as muddy as your KJ gives you some points to add!!! :lol: :lol: :-)r

Author:  DJBassman [ Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yeah I tried reverse, tried forward. I tried to walk the wheels, where yu trun one way, then switch and try the other way. It did not want to move. the two wheels in the water, I could not tell if they were hung up. The tread was caked with mud and about the time I gave up was slicker than baby snot on a door nobe.

And mud... there was mud on me (had the windows open at first, mud in the libby, the gas peddel has a new layer on it right now. the out side of the libby had more mud than Dr Z's mud commercial. If mud does a jeep good... this libby has gotten an whole years wroth. I even have mud... well, never mind where.

It was sort of fun, until I realize it an't going anywhere. Every time my wife passes me by today/night, she jus starts laughing. Now, it even funny to me. I just want to understand why it could not move with two wheels on sort wet hard mud.

I knew I cold not go into the ruts, just fell into it. I am going to learn how to hold that sneez in from now one!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol:

Author:  Pablo [ Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:28 am ]
Post subject:  Probably Hung

I had pretty good luck getting myself unstuck the last few times... knock on wood. I had to rock it back and forth on one occasion and saw the wheel back and forth-- to wiggle out. I have the stock tires still... ugg. On that occasion, I had it 3/4 the way up the wheel in mud. Maybe the CRD thing helps-- weight on the wheels and more torque might of helped me bite on something down below the muck. I noticed that all 4 tires do indeed sling mud at the same time.

But if all four wheels are spinning and you are not going anywhere... then you have no traction. No amount of lockers/ESP whatever will help. Bigger tires, tire chains, tracks in the snow, a shovel and alot of time... those are the only things that will help you get some traction in those situations.

Author:  SD-KJ [ Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:14 am ]
Post subject: 

now what you need to do is go back and run through the deep rut with 4wd and take pictures, we need some documentation here!

-Nick

Author:  Myke [ Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:09 am ]
Post subject: 

Sounds like you need some MT/Rs, I sunk 265/75 MT/Rs on my jeep all the way to the doors. Took two days to get out.

Author:  tcj04sport [ Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Stuck in the mud.

DJBassman wrote:
Now the funny part. I sneeze, I jerk the wheel and now the Libby is sliding down into the deep rut.


:D Bless You :D

Author:  jason thompson [ Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

Well ,well now this is something I know about MUD
the mistakes you made and the reason you got stuck is that you stoped and did not react to the situation on top of that you were in 2wd
the things that would have helped is that first be in 4wd second when you started to slide into the rut just let it go in on that side and ride with one side in the rut and one side on the "harder" ground

also dont go in mud with at's you would be almost as good as someone with street tires

trust me I know mud

Author:  ShadE [ Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:09 am ]
Post subject: 

SD-KJ wrote:
now what you need to do is go back and run through the deep rut with 4wd and take pictures, we need some documentation here!
-Nick

lol. yes.....

Did it look anything like this?
Image

:lol:

Author:  DJBassman [ Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:14 am ]
Post subject: 

ShadE wrote:
Did it look anything like this?
Image

:lol:



LOL LOL LOL... it looked a lot like that! Did you sneaze? :lol: :lol: Except I have AT tires and you have a lot less mud on the top. I just found mud under the driver seat... back to cleaning it out again.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/