LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Inspection Issue
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11424
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Guyute1210 [ Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Inspection Issue

I dropped my 2005 KJ off to get inspected today (not even 13 mos old yet and only 15k miles on the OD), and the guy called and said that I needed my REAR brakes replaced and my rear rotors turned. I have never had a vehicle that had "warped" rotors that would need turned without having any vibrations felt through my foot. Does anyone know what the threshold is for the brake pads needing replaced and not pass inspection? Also, is it normal for the rear brakes to need replaced before the fronts?

If I do need new rear brakes, how what do you guys recommend for me that I use and not have to change the fronts out?

Author:  Dopefish [ Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

get a second opion....

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

My rear pads look like they did the day I bought the jeep. How many miles do you have on the jeep? If you had around 60k on the rears, he may be right... :lol:

Author:  Guyute1210 [ Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm taking it to another shop tomorrow night to try to get it inspected wednesday...I'm not going to say anything to them about what the other shop said. Also, with only 15K on the OD and a trip to VA (850+ miles) and a lot of trips to my parents house (150 miles) and the occational trip to work (125 miles) most of my driving is highway where I almost never need the brakes. Now that's not to say I haven't had it on the trails, but I think it's a bit premature for them to be bad. I took a quick look w/o taking the wheels off in between rain storms, and it looks to be at least 3/16th's left on the rear and about 1/4 inch on the fronts.

Author:  Elwenil [ Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

It's called up-selling. You bring it in to get an inspection and they make you feel like you need something to pass so they make more money. The inspection itself cost the shop money in man-hours, but if they can sell you something to make it worth their time, they can come out on top. The whole point in becoming an inspection station is to draw in more potential business. Get a second opinion. If your brakes are fine, never go back to the other shop, and if they are bad, then I'd be looking to see why. Brakes are nothing to mess around with, and you should replace them if they are suspect and shop owners know this and that they can turn a healthy profit from a brake and rotor job. Typically, you front brakes will wear out before your rears, so if you have never replaced the fronts, I'd wonder what's going on with the rears or with the shop manager's head. Get it checked, but be informed about what you are looking at and ask them to show you. If you feel you are being taken advantage of, leave and find another shop.

Author:  Guyute1210 [ Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

I've never had the front brakes changed. It's a small service station that is always busy, but the problem is that the guy who inspected it IS the manager. I'm going to see what this other place says, and if they are bad, would you suggest going to the stealership to see if there is a problem, or just get them changed and see what happens next?

Author:  Guyute1210 [ Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Stupid Error Message

Author:  Guyute1210 [ Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Stupid DEBUG message...

BTW i never realized that i have over 1000 posts! :shock:

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

i see the debug got ya Guyute. I have 21k on my 04 and my front pads have over half left on them. :wink:

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

From what you describe, there should be no way your brakes are bad/worn at that point. That guy is either trying to rip you off or there is something seriously wrong with them. The 2nd opinion is best and I would actually recommend a Jeep Dealer's Service department. They know Jeeps better than a small shop. Ask the small shop manager what is wrong with thme and why they are bad so soon. Then get the Jeep shop to inspect and see what they come up with. If the answers are different, someone is BSing you. Also, read up on brakes and look at them yourself.

Author:  Elwenil [ Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hmmm, the only think I could think of that would wear out rear discs prematurely would be riding around with the E-brake on and that is only with the few rear disc vehicles that use an E-brake caliper instead of the more common drum inside the disc design that I believe the KJ uses. I suppose if you have the ESP option and you have been hard on the throttle a lot that it could wear them sooner, theoretically. It just sounds fishy to me. Get a second opinion, and if they do, truly look worn, I'd have to say to take it to the dealer and get them to see if there is something up with either the brakes themselves, the ESP system, or the anti-lock system. I've seen front brakes worn out in 16K or so, but that is from monkeys driving the mountains around here like they are Richard Petty. I don't ever recall seeing worn rears in that short length of time and mileage. I'd definitely get it checked out by a no BS mechanic if possible, and/or the dealer. I also recommend not telling the 2nd mechanic or even the dealer anything in particular about the rear brakes. Just tell them you need an inspection and to check the brakes.

Author:  Cowcatcher [ Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:46 am ]
Post subject: 

There have been a few reports here of folks with disk brakes that dragged and as a reult overheated and warped. Most of the time you should notice that though.

Author:  Guyute1210 [ Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks for the insite guys, i'll post a report after i hear back tomorrow from the "new" guy. I dont have ABS, ESP, or any other fandangled stuff. I know my E-Brake is the little drum on the rear. If the new guy says I need rear brakes too, I'll take it to a stealership...

Author:  chetos [ Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

My fronts have been replaced already and my rears look like they'll need to be changed after this coming winter. I have got 26000 miles on it. I bought it used @ 21000 and the fronts were changed before then. I did also have the to brake lights go out. I think the previous owner constantly had thier foot on the brake pedal. They were an older couple--if that means anything, I don't know :?

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

chetos wrote:
My fronts have been replaced already and my rears look like they'll need to be changed after this coming winter. I have got 26000 miles on it. I bought it used @ 21000 and the fronts were changed before then. I did also have the to brake lights go out. I think the previous owner constantly had thier foot on the brake pedal. They were an older couple--if that means anything, I don't know :?


Well, no pun to anyone, but older people seem to always be on the brakes. Its bad when you are going uphill and they are still on. :roll:

Author:  Liberator [ Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:46 pm ]
Post subject:  brakes

Sounds fishy indeed. You can always inspect them yourself when he has it on the hoist and wheels off.

Stealerships do that too... scammers. :shock:

Usually rears should last longer than fronts in 'normal' use. Drum or disc?

Author:  Guyute1210 [ Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: brakes

Liberator wrote:
Drum or disc?

Disk

Author:  Sean [ Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

I know you mentioned the rear rotors at 15K, but my front rotors needed to be turned at 12K (just within the warranty for brake parts) and then they needed to be replaced shortly after at 15K. It is unusual yes, but it is possible, I would recommend going to dealer and having them look at it.
-Sean

Author:  4wdParakeet [ Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

I've gone 30k on my factory brakes and had not an issue. I pulled my wheel off to replace my strut and the brake pads have what looks like more than half pad. I'd pull the wheel off and look. In Missouri the inspections costs the shops 14 bucks and then they aren't allowed to mark it up at all. The shop then has to pay the tech usually 2 to 4 tenths of an hour to perform the inspect. The shop then puts pressure on the tech to find something wrong with the car so that some money comes in off the inspection.


Parakeet

Author:  priell3 [ Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:20 am ]
Post subject: 

I had mine at the stealership for inspection yesterday and everything passed, including brakes. 15K miles, many in the city.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/