| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| ATF+4? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11455 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | KJART [ Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:51 pm ] |
| Post subject: | ATF+4? |
I just recently had my trans flushed at a quick lube place and I specifically asked if they had ATF+4 and they said yes. Now that I am looking over my paper work is says "Dextron III/Mercon ATF" Qty. 16 and "ATF Modifier" Qty 1. Is this the same as ATF+4? I would just take it to the dealer but they want over $175 for a flush, while the quick lube place only charges $85.00. Did I get a deal or ripped off? |
|
| Author: | 2006KJSPORT4x4 [ Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:41 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I recall reading somewhere that a Combo of fluids that "add" up to ATF-4 is NOT the same as the actual ATF-4. Plus I believe it is actually sold retail now at NAP or other places, I recall readign that too. I want to say Guyute... was commenting on this sometime back... |
|
| Author: | Guyute1210 [ Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
well i dont think it was me, but thanks for the kudos I know ATF+4 is available at NAPA and the like. I also know that Amsoil's ATF has a higher standard than ATF+4, so you can use that as well as getting the benefit of longer drain intervals. As far as ATF plus some additives, personally I don't trust it. I would get in writing exactly what the place put in your tranny, and call DCX or a dealer and find out the situation (get it in writing or faxed from DCX). Then if it is bad for the tranny, then i would go back to the place that did that flush and tell them you want your money back since it's NOT the same... |
|
| Author: | Elwenil [ Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:19 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
No, it would not be the same. Although Lubegard (probably the most popular conversion additive) claims to meet the ATF=4 spec of 9602, it is still based off of Dextron, which is based from Group II oils which are natural petroleum. ATF+4 is based from Group III oils, which are synthetic. The Lubegard additive is along the line of the common friction modifier additives used when filling a rear axle that has a limited slip unit. Here is a link to AllPar with some back ground info: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/fluids.html And a link to SAE's website in case you want to spend the cash to read the actual SAE paper #982674: http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/gro ... !969224493 typically, if it's too good to be true, it normally is. ATF+4 is over $50 a case for good reason. It's a completely unique fluid that has no real substitute. And I personally do not trust Amsoil, but that is just my experience, others may vary. |
|
| Author: | FreedomKJ [ Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Hmm, that makes me a bit nervous. Last time I had my transmission fluid changed they used ATF+3 and an "ATF+4 additive." It was several months ago, and I've had no problems yet. Should I worry about it or just keep an eye out for any odd behavior? |
|
| Author: | Elwenil [ Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Personally, I can't really say. I'm in parts, so I can rattle off all the part numbers, applications, and specs but as far as the mechanical end of it, my experience is with big block muscle cars and 4x4s more than anything modern. I did have a Kevlar banded 727 in my '72 Charger that required ATF+4, and I was careful to make sure that is what went into it. The guy I sold it to didn't listen and added ATF+3 to it since it was available at a parts store when it was low and it caused all kinds of issues. If your tranny is acting normal, I don't think I would worry about it as long as you don't work it hard by towing or wheeling a lot. And I certainly wouldn't mention this to the dealer, as it could very well void your warranty. DCX will uphold the warranty if you use aftermarket fluids of your choice as long as they meet or exceed their specs but I have not heard of using additives and I honestly don't know how they would deal with it. |
|
| Author: | warblade666 [ Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:33 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Valvoline ATF+4 is avalible at all Schucks/Kragen/Checker parts stores. |
|
| Author: | KJART [ Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:06 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Thanks for all the info and excellent links. I called Chrysler and they said what was used could "potentially" void my warranty for the exact reasons that were listed above. When I called the quick lube place the manager offered to go to the local parts store, pick-up some ATF+4, and redo the flush. I guess it pays to know what you are talking about (thanks to you guys). How important is it to use ATF+4 in the transfer case? The Chrysler service rep I spoke to really didn't have an answer for that? |
|
| Author: | dkcase [ Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:10 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
KJART wrote: How important is it to use ATF+4 in the transfer case?
I don't think it's important at all -- I have the part-time transfer case. There are only gears inside mine, no clutches. I think any ATF would be OK. I have ATF+3 in mine, because I had it in stock when I changed. But I wouldn't see a problem with another ATF. The GMs specify Dexron, the fords Mercon, Chrysler ATF+. They all specify their own particular species. In some cases the actual gearbox is the SAME New Process model. I don't remember how the full-time case allows full-time operation, so I would do some study before I commented on that. |
|
| Author: | jonb [ Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:41 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Remembering that there's a 5 (Canada) or 7 (US) year powertrain warranty, I think the words "may void warranty" would keep me using ATF+4. My 2c. jonb 2005 Limited |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|