It is currently Sun Oct 04, 2026 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Tight Turns in 4WD
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:28 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:43 am
Posts: 92
Location: Oregon
Is it ok to make tight turns in 4WD HI or LO on a dirt road?

Had to turn around on a rutted forest road the other day, and the only way to do it was to back up, go forward, back up, go forward, back up, make a really sharp turn.

_________________
2007 Liberty Sport
6-Speed Manual
Stock


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:34 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:27 pm
Posts: 901
Location: Walkerton, IN
If the dirt is loose and forgiving...I can't see why it wouldn't hurt. Why would you need 4WD Hi to turn around though? If you have Selec-Trac you'd be fine anyways...but if you had to I'd say it'd be ok. You would know if it wasn't...you'd feel and hear it making noises. As long as the front wheels can slightly break traction you're in the clear...

_________________
02' Frankenlifted White Sport on 31" TrXus M/Ts

89' 2 Dr. Khaki XJ- Waggy 44's, 4.88s, 35's, 3-link on 5.5" coils.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:37 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:36 am
Posts: 33
Location: East Lansing / Kalamazoo, Michigan
ya, it shouldnt be a problem on dirt roads. Just dont make a habbit of it on dry paved roads :)

_________________
JEEP -=aerodynamics are overrated=-
I own a 05' Black KJ Renegade. (With the flat hood)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:38 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:43 am
Posts: 92
Location: Oregon
FastTRX wrote:
If the dirt is loose and forgiving...I can't see why it wouldn't hurt. Why would you need 4WD Hi to turn around though? If you have Selec-Trac you'd be fine anyways...but if you had to I'd say it'd be ok. You would know if it wasn't...you'd feel and hear it making noises. As long as the front wheels can slightly break traction you're in the clear...

Well I was already in 4WD HI because the road was pretty rough and rutted, plus where I was turning around I had to back up over a small ditch.
I don't have any experience off road driving, so I was just wondering.

_________________
2007 Liberty Sport
6-Speed Manual
Stock


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:43 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:10 pm
Posts: 1322
Location: Richmond, VA
i have noticed in my old TJ that when i made tight turns at full lock the wheels would hop. never noticed this in the Kj...always wondered why.

_________________
L.O.S.T. #225019
2003 Sport 4x4
Patriot Blue w/ trail rash
Flex-Zilla 4" Lift
TrailRash hi-lift mounts
Other stuff you wish you had :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:44 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:27 pm
Posts: 901
Location: Walkerton, IN
MacAttack wrote:
FastTRX wrote:
If the dirt is loose and forgiving...I can't see why it wouldn't hurt. Why would you need 4WD Hi to turn around though? If you have Selec-Trac you'd be fine anyways...but if you had to I'd say it'd be ok. You would know if it wasn't...you'd feel and hear it making noises. As long as the front wheels can slightly break traction you're in the clear...

Well I was already in 4WD HI because the road was pretty rough and rutted, plus where I was turning around I had to back up over a small ditch.
I don't have any experience off road driving, so I was just wondering.

Ah I see. Nope...you shouldn't have any problems then. You'll be fine.

Cant beat a little exploring on a rough old dirt road. Just imagine that some people have never seen a dirt road before...and around us they are very common! Gotta pitch er' sideways once you turn on to the dirt road...make your passengers freak out.. :shock: :lol:

_________________
02' Frankenlifted White Sport on 31" TrXus M/Ts

89' 2 Dr. Khaki XJ- Waggy 44's, 4.88s, 35's, 3-link on 5.5" coils.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:51 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:55 pm
Posts: 186
Location: Joliet, Illinois
Jeep4me99 wrote:
i have noticed in my old TJ that when i made tight turns at full lock the wheels would hop. never noticed this in the Kj...always wondered why.


I dont know either but it must be to do something with the SFA because all i cherokees and WJ GC always made that wheel hop and the KJ, WK, and XK doesnt do it.

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade
2002 TJ Sport Solar Yellow
2000 TJ Sport Patriot Blue - gone
1979 CJ5


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:52 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:43 am
Posts: 92
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Cant beat a little exploring on a rough old dirt road. Just imagine that some people have never seen a dirt road before...and around us they are very common! Gotta pitch er' sideways once you turn on to the dirt road...make your passengers freak out.. :shock: :lol:

I've probably seen some of the dirt roads you've been on................grew up in Mishawaka......not far from you.

_________________
2007 Liberty Sport
6-Speed Manual
Stock


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:19 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:55 pm
Posts: 25
Location: Grande Prairie AB, Canada
Any 4x4 with SFA will hop and "buck" in a tight turn because of the u-joints in the front axle. They only have 4 pivot points per jt. IFS 4x4's with CV jt's pretty much eliminate this. With SFA, you don't even need to be in 4x4 for it to happen, just have to have the hubs locked.

_________________
06 CRD Sport, Jeep Green, 245/70 BFG AT, Ultra Start


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:57 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:46 pm
Posts: 711
Location: Westfield, IN
MacAttack wrote:
Quote:
Cant beat a little exploring on a rough old dirt road. Just imagine that some people have never seen a dirt road before...and around us they are very common! Gotta pitch er' sideways once you turn on to the dirt road...make your passengers freak out.. :shock: :lol:

I've probably seen some of the dirt roads you've been on................grew up in Mishawaka......not far from you.

Dude, I'm from South Bend.

Well isn't this just a Hoosier love-fest! :D

_________________
2003 Liberty Sport
Bright Silver Metallic
Daystar lift
General Tire Grabber AT2 245/70R16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:27 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:27 pm
Posts: 901
Location: Walkerton, IN
MacAttack wrote:
Quote:
Cant beat a little exploring on a rough old dirt road. Just imagine that some people have never seen a dirt road before...and around us they are very common! Gotta pitch er' sideways once you turn on to the dirt road...make your passengers freak out.. :shock: :lol:

I've probably seen some of the dirt roads you've been on................grew up in Mishawaka......not far from you.

Yup. I actually live outside of Walkteron OUT of Saint Joe County...in a small redneck county called Starke. You may have heard of it...possibly in a joke :lol: . Anyways...we have a lot of dirt roads near us...but I have been on dirt roads in the south bend area.

Video Guy...lol, there's a lot of people from Indiana on here, or have grown up in Indiana. I never really thought our state was that special...I'd much rather live in Colorado or in the west where there are mountains!

_________________
02' Frankenlifted White Sport on 31" TrXus M/Ts

89' 2 Dr. Khaki XJ- Waggy 44's, 4.88s, 35's, 3-link on 5.5" coils.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:21 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:52 am
Posts: 483
Location: Rhode Island
Lately it seems like my KJ is in 4x4 mode when im making sharper than normals slow speed turns (parking lots). Any clue what could be going on? Maybe its just my imagination and its always done it..... and no its def not in 4hi, low, or part time.

_________________
Pre-Lowered 02 Liberty
2.5" Rustys Coil w/ Ranchos in the rear.
ARB, OME927's, 1/4 strut plate and Als Gen 4.5 Uppers in the front.
Flowmaster Super 40 Series (GONE, SO QUIET!)
245/75/16 Kumho KL-78 w/ Spidertraxxxxx
Ripped out the plastic inner wheel liners
Herculined ALLLL over.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:03 am
Posts: 337
Location: grafton, ohio
These 4wd systems are that tender, they will take alot of abuse. It can be more anoying than damaging. You can't help but to make turns in 4wd. However, unless traction is an issue, just hit the lever, make your sharp turn and go on. If traction is such that you need 4wd to make the turn then it sure won't hurt it anyway. I don't think you should abuse the 4x4, but don't baby it either, it's there to be used. Just use common sense, if it's doing alot of bucking and jumping, then it's telling you that traction isn't a problem and you can make the turn in 2wd. When turnning on slick or slippery ground, it won't buck as much.

_________________
06 jeep liberty 4x4 65th aniver edition

04 ranger xlt sc 4x4, 4.0 sohc, 5-speed, gibson dual sport, cai, udp, bama tune, BFG's, and tru-trac

07 redfire mustang GT, 4.6 3V, 5-speed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:00 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:48 pm
Posts: 861
Location: Aurora, CO
jdumont wrote:
Lately it seems like my KJ is in 4x4 mode when im making sharper than normals slow speed turns (parking lots). Any clue what could be going on? Maybe its just my imagination and its always done it..... and no its def not in 4hi, low, or part time.


Depending on your tire and wheel size and backspacing you're probably getting tire rub on the plastic wheelwell liners and/or the swaybar. I have 245/65R17s on the 7.5" wide Freedom rims and I get pretty bad rubbing on the swaybar, enough that the lugs on the tires catch it and there's no paint left where they rub. Gives a very similar feeling to what you're describing.

_________________
Jeremy - Aurora, CO
L.O.S.T. #0

Future:
2016 Hydro Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock

Previous:
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Sold!
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Dealer buyback
2003 Silver KJ Freedom 4x4 - Sold!
32s, Frankenlift, BBars, onboard air, dirt.
KJ EVIC Install


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com