LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

HELP!!!!!!!!! OF THE UPMOST IMPORTANCE!
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1905
Page 1 of 2

Author:  uvalax236 [ Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:41 pm ]
Post subject:  HELP!!!!!!!!! OF THE UPMOST IMPORTANCE!

I cant get my drum brake back on!!!! I took it off to clean it out. I couldent get it off in the first place and now the d*** cover wont go back on!!!! Help me out please!

Author:  2003KJ [ Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

You're talking about the hub? It should just go back on there. Give it some "help" with a sledge hammer if ya have one handy. Now that I think about it more, are you sure your brakes are adjusted properly? If it didn't wanna come off to begin with, my guess is the brakes are dragging and were still stuck to it. Noticed any poor performance lately?

Author:  uvalax236 [ Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ive never had good performance out of it. If I were to simply throw the tire back on there and torque the frekin lugs down until I can have a shop look at it?

Author:  Cacher123 [ Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sounds like the pads are "open" still and not returning far enough for the drum to clear.

Author:  Tuco [ Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

Make sure you don't have the emergency brake on

Author:  uvalax236 [ Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

The E-Brake is off. I even tried it with it on and still no sucess (it was worth a shot). Im hoping that a friend of mine can help me out when he comes over tomarro while im at school. In the meantime, I get to enjoy the world of a mini cooper! :roll:

Author:  Bonehead [ Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:05 am ]
Post subject: 

You are gonna have to back off the adjuster....its the thing that has a star sahped wheel on it with the self adjuster that rest on the star wheel. Just use your finger and pull the self adjuster bar off the star wheel then turn the adjuster backwards till the brake shoe are in a small enough position to put the drum back on......the self adjuster wheel may be hard to turn so take your time. Once you get the brake drum back on you will have to readjust the shoe by taking a flat screwdrive a stick it through the oval hole in the bottom on the backing plate and manualy turn the wheel till the shoes just barley start to drag the drum otherwise the shoe will be so out of adjustment that brake won't work right........................oh yea and it sounds like its time for new drums if they are wore to that point..........hope this helps :D

Author:  Liberator84 [ Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: HELP!!!!!!!!! OF THE UPMOST IMPORTANCE!

uvalax236 wrote:
I cant get my drum brake back on!!!! I took it off to clean it out. I couldent get it off in the first place and now the d*** cover wont go back on!!!! Help me out please!


Note to self ... Don't take drum brake off to clean :lol:

Author:  LibertyN8 [ Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:12 am ]
Post subject: 

That happened to me on ford ranger once. My e-brake cable was starting to rust and would not slide. try disconecting it and see if your drum will go on.

Author:  uvalax236 [ Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:25 am ]
Post subject: 

I got the thing off. Phew! It turns out that i was not looking in the right place for the wheel with the teeth on it (im not too drum brake literate so bare with me) to ajust the pad spacing. I got it off and im cleaing all the parts real good right now. It will go back on today. Thanks for all the help guys! Another reason why I love LOST!

Author:  Bonehead [ Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

Glad to hear your getting it worked out..............sorry I guess I could have explained a little better in my last post , I had been awake for about 5 mins when I made that post :)

Author:  uvalax236 [ Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

Anybody happent to know how the configuration goes back together? I want to have this thing driveable today but the guy who is helping me cant get it done till tomarro morning.

Author:  Bonehead [ Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Please tell me you didn't pull both side apart at the same time :shock: ............that the way I usually tell what goes where by looking at the other side. If I was sitting in front I could most likely get back togather with out the other side to look at, but over the 'puter by memory thats not gonna happen LOL sorry can't help there......................BTW I so hate drum brakes :D and you do too by now I bet.

Author:  lilmatty [ Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

Bonehead gave all the right instructions. BUT, if you really aren't savvy about drum brakes then YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE MESSED WITH IT IN THE 1ST PLACE. DITTO on the REASSEMBLY. Don't want you to get in a wreck out there.1

Brakes ARE safety. :!: :!: :!:

Author:  uvalax236 [ Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yes I admit that it was a stupid move. If anyone has a service manual on the assembly of the brakes please pm or email it to me. my handle at aol dot com. For one thing, Im never touching drum brakes again! I think there might be a possible disc conversion in the future now.

Author:  uvalax236 [ Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:20 am ]
Post subject: 

Ok everthing is on and working again. I am never touching those *&^%#@! drum brakes again!

Author:  Bonehead [ Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

:D 8)

Author:  DaGuru [ Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

At least, next time you can say you have "some" experience. :lol:

Author:  uvalax236 [ Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yes now I know how everything fits in the dang thing. It actually works better now. The emergency brake works flawlessly now. I used to have to pull it up wayyy high to get it to lock the pads but now it does it much quicker and with a lot less force. Thanks for the responses!

Author:  lilmatty [ Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:17 am ]
Post subject: 

Richard that kinda tells me your self adjusters aren't working right.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/