| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Best place to keep Jerry Can http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19328 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | humptyjumped [ Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:32 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Best place to keep Jerry Can |
Just curious where people store their spare gas can when they are wheeling. 1. roof? what if you roll your jeep?!? 2. inside?!? what about fumes? 3. someplace I have yet to think of?!? |
|
| Author: | dirtykj [ Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:34 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
1. Don't roll your Jeep 2. Yeah, inside is bad choice 3. On the Rock Lizard rear bumper, via Jerry can attachment |
|
| Author: | humptyjumped [ Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | reaching for wallet.... |
Just bought an ARB front bumper... be a while yet before I can afford the Rock Lizard. Any stock bumper options? |
|
| Author: | Cacher123 [ Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:57 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Do a search under gas cans. There was a cool fab for a rear hitch mount can holder on here a while back. |
|
| Author: | jason thompson [ Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:10 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
dont bother with a jerry can for trail rides it is not needed I wheel with guys runnin moded V8's on factory YJ tanks and they run for 2 1/2 days on trails runnin 8-10+ hours a day if they need gas they just go to the station and get some If how ever you realy feel that you need that extra 5 galons then I would strap it to the roof and leave it at camp if you are not camping then I realy doubt you will run out of gas I know for a fact that a KJ get better fuel milage than a TJ ,4.0, and I get about 4-6 miles to a gallon of fuel out on the trail I also know that with a group of 8-10 rigs you travel at around 1-3 miles an hour depending on terain if you do the math I can run my TJ for about 75 offroad miles befor I must have fuel wich going ~2 miles an hour would be 150 hour off road that is like 6 days out on the trail The most I have done and been just plum beat was 3 out on the trail and never needed gas hope this helps in some way Jason |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:50 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
when Im on the trail, I never use more than 1/4 tank in one day. Its usually running all day too.. |
|
| Author: | humptyjumped [ Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:56 pm ] |
| Post subject: | thanks! helpful... |
many trails here in BC are quite remote, especially the cooler ones that I want to check out. so I want to know I'm getting home. I think I will put at least 10 gallons on the roof. |
|
| Author: | 2006KJSPORT4x4 [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:08 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Where jason's statement is true, when you go to a bug trail ride it always helps to carry extra gas in case someone may need it. When I was down in Louisiana for a trail ride everyone said I weouldn't need it....well the leader of my group went in to the forest and his engine "died" shortly after entering the trail...his gas gauge had broke and he was out of gas, he was thankful I had some to spare, not to mention a CJ used some of it as well so it could get to town to fill up all the way. Never hurts to carry some I think. Now for your question of storage. I'm actually fabbing up a mount for 2 jerry cans to go on my tailgate since I have the spare on the roof now. Once I get it done and mounted I'll be doing a write-up in the fab section. In the meantime I stillhave some room in the roof basket so that is where my can will be this weekend when I'm out camping and rtail riding Ouachita National Forest. |
|
| Author: | gatorator [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:02 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
2006KJSPORT4x4 wrote: Where Jason's statement is true, when you go to a bug trail ride it always helps to carry extra gas in case someone may need it. When I was down in Louisiana for a trail ride everyone said I weouldn't need it....well the leader of my group went in to the forest and his engine "died" shortly after entering the trail...his gas gauge had broke and he was out of gas, he was thankful I had some to spare, not to mention a CJ used some of it as well so it could get to town to fill up all the way. Never hurts to carry some I think.
Now for your question of storage. I'm actually fabbing up a mount for 2 Jerry cans to go on my tailgate since I have the spare on the roof now. Once I get it done and mounted I'll be doing a write-up in the fab section. In the meantime I still have some room in the roof basket so that is where my can will be this weekend when I'm out camping and trail riding Ouachita National Forest. Looking forward to your solution as it sounds like a good one. humptyjumped is right. In BC many of the interesting places to go start a hundred miles from the nearest gas. One of my favourite places is the N. side of Lake Quesnel and it can take a couple of days to just reach where I want to camp. Currently I take a small Ute trailer with Water, Fuel, my pontoon boat and such. |
|
| Author: | phxtoad [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:37 am ] |
| Post subject: | Hitchcans |
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... php?t=2004 My design is hitch mounted. It kills your departure angle, but comes in handy for getting to a remote camp, then removing it to wheel... Todd |
|
| Author: | dieselenthusiast [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:05 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
From my experience, extra fuel is nice to have. While living in New Mexico, gas stations are far, few, and in-between. And most small town gas stations are closed by 8:00 - 9:00 during the week nights and closed on Sundays. |
|
| Author: | cmohr [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:18 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Yeah, in Australia to do any real trips involves a LOT of fuel, the 3.7 V6 drinks like a fish too, so to do a big trip I often have to carry a heap of extra fuel. I couldn't really put it on the roof, and would be a bit concerned about the extra weight of jerry cans hanging on the spare mounting thats on the rear door of the kj itself. Those rock lizard bumpers look great but still, probably only going to be able to mount 1 jerry on the back. In Oz you can get a replacemant tank, longranger, 115 litres, thats going to take you a lot further, but, I opted to make a rear compartment to carry the fuel in the boot so to speak. I used 5ply marine board, rubber lined the inside of the box storage area, put a door on it with a rubber seal and some really strong magnetic locking gate latches to hold it closed. Auto carpeted the outside to make it lok good and presto, I carried 4 x 20litre steel jerry cans in the back (80lts) doubled my range, never smelt anything. Drove over 6500km (about 4000 miles) on some of the worst roads thru the middle of Australia without a problem, the design of the box fitted the 4 cans very snuggly in place so they didn't move around at all. I made the storage box on a raised platform so I could put all my recovery gear, tools, and things underneath with easy access so I didn't have to "unpack" everything by the side of the road if I needed to get to anything. Had room on the RHS for an area for my 35lt Fridge as well. Heres a couple of pics, when I don't have jerry cans in there it make a great storage area for general everyday use, and, adds a level of security to keeping things in the car. cmohr http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18799 http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18798 http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18800 |
|
| Author: | KW AV8R [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:05 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
That loos like a really cool design and I may look at doing something like that in the future. I haven't checked yet but have you done a write up about the building specs? I would like to save the write-up in my future projects folder. Also, does anyone have a link to the 115 liter tank? I would be interested in looking into that and see if it is available in the States. |
|
| Author: | humptyjumped [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:15 am ] |
| Post subject: | its settled.... |
I am going to fab a mount on the tailgate. I think I shoyld be able to fit something next to the tire. Really interested in that 115L tank. Never heard of it before. |
|
| Author: | MULE [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:31 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I have two jerry can holders mounted back to back on top of my Thule roof rack. That's alot of weight to lift and remove, so I use the "runt" sized cans made by Scepter. They are half the weight and capacity a full sized can is, made of plastic and leak-proof and pour great. I would have no fear of inside storage as long as I keep them out of full sun. I also have "runt" sized cans to carry drinking water in them, for camping. You can find these excellent jerry cans at Brigade Quarter Master www.actiongear.com . Before you start welding brackets and jerry can holders to the back side of your truck, check with your state or local Moter Vehicle Division. Carring gasoline cans visibly behind a vehicle might be illegal. Rear end collisions can cause them to explode. Just because you can buy them everywhere don't make them legal to use. |
|
| Author: | KW AV8R [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:12 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I just found this link for the long range gas tank. From what little I see on their website, this looks like it might be a viable option for down the road. However, I can't tell if it would be legal in the States or any other info along those lines. I'll email them tonight/tomorrow to see if I can get any more info. http://www.longrangeautomotive.com.au/index.html |
|
| Author: | humptyjumped [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:35 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
MULE wrote: I have two jerry can holders mounted back to back on top of my Thule roof rack. That's alot of weight to lift and remove, so I use the "runt" sized cans made by Scepter. They are half the weight and capacity a full sized can is, made of plastic and leak-proof and pour great. I would have no fear of inside storage as long as I keep them out of full sun. I also have "runt" sized cans to carry drinking water in them, for camping. You can find these excellent jerry cans at Brigade Quarter Master www.actiongear.com . Before you start welding brackets and jerry can holders to the back side of your truck, check with your state or local Moter Vehicle Division. Carring gasoline cans visibly behind a vehicle might be illegal. Rear end collisions can cause them to explode. Just because you can buy them everywhere don't make them legal to use.
20L extra is about right I think. Those "runt" cans look good. BTW that website has got everything on it! Are they a division of Halliburton or something? |
|
| Author: | MULE [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:39 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Halliburton!!! |
|
| Author: | dieselenthusiast [ Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
cmohr wrote: Yeah, in Australia to do any real trips involves a LOT of fuel, the 3.7 V6 drinks like a fish too, so to do a big trip I often have to carry a heap of extra fuel. I couldn't really put it on the roof, and would be a bit concerned about the extra weight of jerry cans hanging on the spare mounting thats on the rear door of the kj itself. Those rock lizard bumpers look great but still, probably only going to be able to mount 1 jerry on the back. In Oz you can get a replacemant tank, longranger, 115 litres, thats going to take you a lot further, but, I opted to make a rear compartment to carry the fuel in the boot so to speak. I used 5ply marine board, rubber lined the inside of the box storage area, put a door on it with a rubber seal and some really strong magnetic locking gate latches to hold it closed. Auto carpeted the outside to make it lok good and presto, I carried 4 x 20litre steel jerry cans in the back (80lts) doubled my range, never smelt anything. Drove over 6500km (about 4000 miles) on some of the worst roads thru the middle of Australia without a problem, the design of the box fitted the 4 cans very snuggly in place so they didn't move around at all. I made the storage box on a raised platform so I could put all my recovery gear, tools, and things underneath with easy access so I didn't have to "unpack" everything by the side of the road if I needed to get to anything. Had room on the RHS for an area for my 35lt Fridge as well. Heres a couple of pics, when I don't have jerry cans in there it make a great storage area for general everyday use, and, adds a level of security to keeping things in the car.
cmohr http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18799 http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18798 http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18800 Very Nice cmohr. Excellent design! |
|
| Author: | Cacher123 [ Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:55 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Brigade is WAY pricey on those cans! Look around. You can find them well under that price new. |
|
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|