| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Flushing Radiator http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1935 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | ItalianBarista [ Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Flushing Radiator |
Hey guys, how often do you flush the radiator? And also, what type of radiator fluid do I need to replace it with? Is it easy to do? Or should I have the dealership do it when I got in for service? Thanks a lot! Take it easy ya'll, ADAM |
|
| Author: | Troysterr [ Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:27 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Flushing Radiator |
ItalianBarista wrote: Hey guys, how often do you flush the radiator? And also, what type of radiator fluid do I need to replace it with? Is it easy to do? Or should I have the dealership do it when I got in for service? Thanks a lot!
I've been told by a mechanic to do it at least once every 3 years. It wasn't as necessary in older cars, but newer cars have so many electonics, plastic parts, etc., that apparently the coolant can become highly acidic pretty quickly. Once a year would be even better. You can find the correct coolant type under the hood or in your owner's manual. (I believe it's G-05, the same for all newer DC vehicles.) http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products ... product=10 It is pretty easy to do...but I've only done it once (under the watchful eye of my auto mechanics class instructor), so I can't explain it. However, this might help: http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic. ... ight=flush |
|
| Author: | ItalianBarista [ Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:48 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Thanks a lot! I hope I don't screw it up, because knowing me, that would be an issue! haha! |
|
| Author: | kjfishman [ Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:09 am ] |
| Post subject: | 100k fluid |
I read the new fluid is supposed to go 100k between flushes. The old green stuff had to be done every few years. |
|
| Author: | Troysterr [ Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:49 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 100k fluid |
kjfishman wrote: I read the new fluid is supposed to go 100k between flushes. The old green stuff had to be done every few years.
That's entirely possible. This guy who teaches the auto mechanics class that I take is very, very good and very smart, but he's also somewhat "old school". He also recommends oil changes every 3K miles, even if you're using synthetic. He's a very honest guy, but you have to think a mechanic is going to be biased toward more service to your vehicle, since that translates into more revenue for their shop. |
|
| Author: | Trodo [ Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:26 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
If you're not sure, you could always replace just the fluid in the overflow container. |
|
| Author: | ItalianBarista [ Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Owners Manual |
According to the owners manual from Jeep, the fluid it good up to 5 years "regardless" of mileage. So I guess I still have a couple years to go. Thanks a lot for all the comments! ADAM |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|