| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Tranny fluid ? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25942 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | kolesy [ Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:44 am ] |
| Post subject: | Tranny fluid ? |
So I need to service the tranny, ie change filters and refill. I was wondering about how many quarts of fluid I would need? I have an 05 sport with the auto tranny. Thanks peoples! Mike |
|
| Author: | corwyyn [ Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:51 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Pick up 5 qts, that should be plenty. When I changed mine last month it took a bit over 4 qts to get it into the normal range when warm. Make sure you get the ATF+4, either thru the dealer or at your local Wal-mart/auto supply store. IIRC Wal-mart even carries the Mopar brand ATF+4 fluid, probably cheaper than a dealer. |
|
| Author: | myjeepwalks [ Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:55 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I think 5 or 6 quarts you should be fine. While you're under there may as well do the transfer case too. My 02' took like 8qts but i also had the valve body down to install the shift kit. Transfer case takes like 2qt if i'm not mistaken. |
|
| Author: | corwyyn [ Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:00 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Also, if you go any place but the dealer for the filter make sure you get the right one:
Most of the auto supply stores only list the filter for the 45RFE tranny even though it was changed mid-2003 (I think) for the 42RLE. I wound up just putting the original filter back in, I'll change it in a couple of months. |
|
| Author: | myjeepwalks [ Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:17 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
the 45 also has a spin on filter for the cooler. pretty sure the 42 doesn't. |
|
| Author: | kolesy [ Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:24 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
You guys are the heat!!!! I plan on runnin ams oil produxxts for the tranny and transfer case. I was just curious on the amounts. Quick appreciated responses gentlemen! And corwynn thanks for the pics. |
|
| Author: | Rush345 [ Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:36 am ] |
| Post subject: | From Amsoil cross reference pages. |
I went to Amsoils cross reference page and just copied and pasted, in my experience when I converted my 02 Sport last year it was pretty dead on. These dcapacitys are for an '05. I had a quart and a half of ATF+4 left over and 2 quarts of engine oil left oil planned that way just in case of use and need of topping off. Just poped the oil filter last month and added 1 QT. to top off,no problems. Yep it's all Amsoil. Hope it helps CAPACITIES Engine, with filter..........5.0 quarts Cooling System, Initial Fill..........14.0 quarts Automatic Transmission, 4-Shallow Paneed Initial Fill..........4.0 quarts[1][2] Automatic Transmission, 545RFE Initial Fill..........5.0 quarts[3][4] Automatic Transmission, Total Fill 4 speed 45RFE..........14.0 quarts 4 speed 42RLE..........8.8 quarts Manual Transmission, NSG370..........3.2 pints Differential, Front..........2.5 pints[5] Differential, with 8.25 RBI Rear..........4.2 pints Differential, Front..........2.5 pints[5] Differential, with 8.25 RBI Rear..........4.2 pints Transfer Case,NV231..........3.0 pints Transfer Case,NV242..........3.4 pints Transfer Case,NV241..........4.2 pints 1. With ENG at operating temperature, shift through all gears. Check fluid level in NEUTRAL and add fluid as needed. 2. DTC'S may be set , reset W/ DRB III, if necessary 3. With ENG at operating temperature, shift through all gears. Check fluid level in NEUTRAL and add fluid as needed. 4. DTC'S may be set , reset |
|
| Author: | hooperswish [ Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:19 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Wouldn't it be better to flush it to get all of the fluid replaced? |
|
| Author: | kolesy [ Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:44 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
hooperswish wrote: Wouldn't it be better to flush it to get all of the fluid replaced?
True but more money and I don't really think I need it since I have no issues at all. Just need to do a filter swap and replenish the fluid. Thanks Rush!! I am using AMS oil produsts for this as well! I was just curious if the numbers there were actually accurate compared to what others actually have done. After this there will be AMS Oil through out the pig to include even all the grease!! |
|
| Author: | JJsTJ [ Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:21 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
kolesy wrote: hooperswish wrote: Wouldn't it be better to flush it to get all of the fluid replaced? True but more money and I don't really think I need it since I have no issues at all. Just need to do a filter swap and replenish the fluid. Thanks Rush!! I am using AMS oil produsts for this as well! I was just curious if the numbers there were actually accurate compared to what others actually have done. After this there will be AMS Oil through out the pig to include even all the grease!! FYI, when I did mine, it took 6 qts. It might be because I drained it for a couple hours while doing other things but when I topped it off I ended up having to add the 6th Qt to bring it to the full mark on the dipstick when hot. |
|
| Author: | kolesy [ Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Thanks John! Sorry bud but i found a local dealer who owns a part store with the stuff in stock otherwise you would of been my man! |
|
| Author: | JJsTJ [ Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:09 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
kolesy wrote: Thanks John!
Sorry bud but i found a local dealer who owns a part store with the stuff in stock otherwise you would of been my man! No problem, Hope he is giving you a good deal though. |
|
| Author: | kolesy [ Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Oh its a pretty good deal. I get it at cost since the guys shop is my buddies main sponsor for his race car. Thanks though John, The guy don't know much about fourwheelin and the vehicles used in the sport so I had to school him with info I got from you for the KJ. |
|
| Author: | _UnLiMiTeD_ [ Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:07 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
quick question, is this just for the pan filter being dropped? i see on the amsoil info it has 2 trans filters? sorry still learning on this kj lol |
|
| Author: | JJsTJ [ Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:47 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
_UnLiMiTeD_ wrote: quick question, is this just for the pan filter being dropped? i see on the amsoil info it has 2 trans filters? sorry still learning on this kj lol
The early, 45RFE trans found in 02- early 03 uses two filters. The later model, early/mid 03- up 42RLE uses one filter. MANY of the catalogs from places like NAPA, Carquest, etc. have the wrong filter listed in them for the later models so make sure you are asking for and getting the right filter. I know the correct part number for the 42 is posted around here somewhere. |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:40 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Mine took 8 quarts! I let it sit over night since I was trying to install a shift kit at the time but I was amazed. I had only gotten 5 quarts or so. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|