It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: cheap mopar tail light guards?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:58 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:31 am
Posts: 855
Location: Maple Ridge B.C
Does anyone know of where to get some of the mopar tailight guards for cheap? i like the looks of them and would love to have a set. I phoned my dealer and they want $108 for them. Seriously, $108 for molded plastic and some sticky stuff. No way. On ebty they are going for close to $80 then shipping. Is there anywhere else that sells them at a REASONALE price?

_________________
2004 Liberty Renegade
Silver, loaded
Full skid plates
255/65/16 yokohama Geolander A/T-S
Tow hooks
Flowmaster super 44


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:04 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Woodward Ave
check the for-sale section?

_________________
02 Liberty Limited
Silver Outside & Taupe Inside
Heated Seats, Sunroof & Infinity speakers
USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:05 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 10:20 am
Posts: 1667
Go for graphite ones, they are $40 or so, I think... you can paint them.
(I wanted to paint them, but I am not sure what to use, or how to, maybe fine sand paper and spray paint black)

_________________
NYC L.O.S.T.# 022174 -
Check out my Image CarDomain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:06 pm
Posts: 814
Location: Ohio
hyedipin wrote:
Go for graphite ones, they are $40 or so, I think... you can paint them.
(I wanted to paint them, but I am not sure what to use, or how to, maybe fine sand paper and spray paint black)


Hyed...I was wondering about those...what makes the graphites so much cheaper than the others?? aren't they all made of the same material, just coated in different paint, or coated in that cheap fake chrome???

_________________
2003 Silver Sport - Debadged
245/75/R16 DuraTracs
Cragar Soft 8s
OME Coils & Front Shocks, Bilstein Rear Shocks - Muddified Lift
JBA 4.5 UCA
K&N CAI
MagnaFlow Exhaust
Rola Vortex Rack

http://www.fusion-multimedia.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:27 pm 
Offline
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 1815
Location: Northern Virginia
where did you see the graphite ones?

_________________
Jason
----------
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 10:20 am
Posts: 1667
Pote wrote:
hyedipin wrote:
Go for graphite ones, they are $40 or so, I think... you can paint them.
(I wanted to paint them, but I am not sure what to use, or how to, maybe fine sand paper and spray paint black)


Hyed...I was wondering about those...what makes the graphites so much cheaper than the others?? aren't they all made of the same material, just coated in different paint, or coated in that cheap fake chrome???

Cheap fake chrome is the "chrome" set. I have no idea what makes them cheap. Believe me, they cannot be any cheaper then they are, I had a set of black, and they were simple thin cheap plastic, and I paid $85 for them online. They fell off after 6-7 months. They sure look great, though. Graphite ones are cheap because they weren't that popular, I guess. Just get a set and play with them. I think spray paint should be fine. :)

_________________
NYC L.O.S.T.# 022174 -
Check out my Image CarDomain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:46 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:28 pm
Posts: 396
Location: Green Bay, WI
DryBones wrote:
where did you see the graphite ones?


x2. Where did you see the graphite ones? For $40 I would buy a set.

_________________
-Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -Einstein
-'07 KJ Sport
-Skink Super Sliders, Mopar Skids, Huskys, 245/70 16 Grabber AT2s, Hooks, Warholamo Rails, Black Widow Roof Rack
-Up Next: Lift?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:01 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 10:20 am
Posts: 1667
Well.. wyckoff has them for $28 a pair now. Even lower! :twisted:
If I can paint these suckers, there is not reason why anyone should buy the black ones..
http://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/jeeplibtaill.html
Just choose Graphite Metallic from the dropdown menu.

_________________
NYC L.O.S.T.# 022174 -
Check out my Image CarDomain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:27 am 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:28 pm
Posts: 396
Location: Green Bay, WI
Wow, check it out, this is right from the website...

Shopping Cart
Item Options Unit Price Qty. In Stock Cost
Jeep Liberty Tail Light Guards
[remove] Color : Graphic Metallic(8231)(-$48.30)
$23.00 $23.00
Jeep Liberty Tail Light Guards
[remove] Color : Black(6906)
$71.30 $71.30

$48.30 for black paint, that is crazy. How are these applied? Bolted on, or stuck on?

_________________
-Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -Einstein
-'07 KJ Sport
-Skink Super Sliders, Mopar Skids, Huskys, 245/70 16 Grabber AT2s, Hooks, Warholamo Rails, Black Widow Roof Rack
-Up Next: Lift?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:33 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 10:20 am
Posts: 1667
It is exact same thing, identical. Black is just more expensive. (stuck on with 3M) As we speak, I am putting my order through for these..
Unlimited, IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT NOW! :evil: You reminded me.
$29.63 shipped from wyckoff. Not bad. I can probably get a $2 spray paint from walmart.

_________________
NYC L.O.S.T.# 022174 -
Check out my Image CarDomain


Last edited by hyedipin on Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:38 am 
Offline
TRAILIN
TRAILIN

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 8:54 pm
Posts: 692
Location: NW Iowa
I bought the 28 dollar ones from Wycoff a year ago. To my knowledge, the are the same. They've been fine so far.

_________________
2005 4x4 Sport
Yakima Low Riders
Hidden Hitch
MOPAR tow hooks
RL Skink Step Sliders
Magnaflow
3/4 armored
235/70/16 Grabber AT 2
and a lot of little stuff...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:41 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 10:20 am
Posts: 1667
chetos wrote:
I bought the 28 dollar ones from Wycoff a year ago. To my knowledge, the are the same. They've been fine so far.


My passanger side fell of after 5-6 months or so, but it was my fault. I tried apply them in cold weather, and from what I learned, 3M doesn't like cold weather, and it doesn't adhere properly.. Darn it. Now I gotta wait for it get warm outside to apply these..

_________________
NYC L.O.S.T.# 022174 -
Check out my Image CarDomain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:02 am 
Offline
TRAILIN
TRAILIN

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 8:54 pm
Posts: 692
Location: NW Iowa
hyedipin wrote:
chetos wrote:
I bought the 28 dollar ones from Wycoff a year ago. To my knowledge, the are the same. They've been fine so far.


My passanger side fell of after 5-6 months or so, but it was my fault. I tried apply them in cold weather, and from what I learned, 3M doesn't like cold weather, and it doesn't adhere properly.. Darn it. Now I gotta wait for it get warm outside to apply these..


Do it in a garage. Get a hair dryer/heat gun and just head up the lights a little bit. Should be good from there.

_________________
2005 4x4 Sport
Yakima Low Riders
Hidden Hitch
MOPAR tow hooks
RL Skink Step Sliders
Magnaflow
3/4 armored
235/70/16 Grabber AT 2
and a lot of little stuff...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:12 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:31 am
Posts: 855
Location: Maple Ridge B.C
hehe yes i am to blame for peoples happiness lol.

Though the black doesnt show any sale price, only the graphite.

_________________
2004 Liberty Renegade
Silver, loaded
Full skid plates
255/65/16 yokohama Geolander A/T-S
Tow hooks
Flowmaster super 44


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:55 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:06 pm
Posts: 814
Location: Ohio
I see it says "graphic metallic" and not "graphite"...what could be the difference?? anyone have pics of the graphic metallic?? again though, nothing a can of duplicolor couldn't fix.

_________________
2003 Silver Sport - Debadged
245/75/R16 DuraTracs
Cragar Soft 8s
OME Coils & Front Shocks, Bilstein Rear Shocks - Muddified Lift
JBA 4.5 UCA
K&N CAI
MagnaFlow Exhaust
Rola Vortex Rack

http://www.fusion-multimedia.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:56 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 10:20 am
Posts: 1667
yeah, search for graphite and you will see a few pix, they are just dark grayish color, that freedom fender flares are.

_________________
NYC L.O.S.T.# 022174 -
Check out my Image CarDomain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:02 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:06 pm
Posts: 814
Location: Ohio
hyedipin wrote:
yeah, search for graphite and you will see a few pix, they are just dark grayish color, that freedom fender flares are.


I'll look for those...would it be anywhere close to the color of our dark grey sport flares and bumpers? or are those blacker??

_________________
2003 Silver Sport - Debadged
245/75/R16 DuraTracs
Cragar Soft 8s
OME Coils & Front Shocks, Bilstein Rear Shocks - Muddified Lift
JBA 4.5 UCA
K&N CAI
MagnaFlow Exhaust
Rola Vortex Rack

http://www.fusion-multimedia.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:44 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Lock Haven, PA
I might have to pick up a set of these too for $28 :lol:

If they're plastic, I'd recommend using Krylon Fusion paint. It's specifically made for plastic products. All you have to do to prep the surface is clean it with an ammonia based product, like Windex, and let it dry. Then paint. It worked great on my plastic XJ flares and trim.

Do they stick to the light or the metal area around the light?

_________________
The Jeep Family:
2003 KJ Renegade - wife's daily driver
2001 WJ Limited - sister's daily driver
1997 XJ Sport - my daily driver
1995 YJ - the trail rig
1979 CJ5 - dad's toy
1966 M416 - the jeep trailer
1948 CJ2A Willys - my new project


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:16 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 10:20 am
Posts: 1667
stick, they stick on the light, not the metal area.
cleaning with ammonia... these will come with a small wet-napkin type of thing, which you need to clean the tails with before applying, so I assume they can be wiped with that stuff as well. So we don't need to sand it or anything, right?

We have a model shop here, who sells bunch of stuff used to paint model trains, etc.. I am sure they've got some of those stuff that can be used to paint on painted/polished surface of these stuff.

Oh man, paypal won't let me put my work address as delivery address, this is not good.. I still put it there, but wyckoff says they will only ship to the other address... anyway

_________________
NYC L.O.S.T.# 022174 -
Check out my Image CarDomain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:31 am
Posts: 855
Location: Maple Ridge B.C
so tempting...i need paypal account..and a credit card lol

_________________
2004 Liberty Renegade
Silver, loaded
Full skid plates
255/65/16 yokohama Geolander A/T-S
Tow hooks
Flowmaster super 44


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com