It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: ******Silicone for tranny pan? *******
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:33 pm 
Offline
Coal Country Wheelin
Coal Country Wheelin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:17 am
Posts: 945
Location: Goldsboro, NC
I am in th emiddle of doin the tranny (sts) and was wonderin if any high temp silicone is good to slap around the pan? A quick response would be great! Thanks guys!

Mike

_________________
LIBERTY or DEATH

2005 Sport with "STUFF"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:35 pm 
NO.

Use axle grease to hold the pan gasket in place while you're installing the pan, so it doesn't move around on you. OH GOD how I hate RTV on anything...it's quite possibly the most vile substance on EARTH.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:41 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:00 pm
Posts: 278
Location: Waterford, MI
There is no gasket on a 42RLE trans pan. RTV works fine.

I forget which kind was recommended for trans pans. But they list the recommendations on the package. Just pick up the one that is recommended for trans pans.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:42 pm 
Offline
Coal Country Wheelin
Coal Country Wheelin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:17 am
Posts: 945
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Thanks but there is no pan gasket. I just found in the service manual that it says to use MOPAR RTV but obviously I do not have the mopar stuff lying around so I was wondering if just reg high temp rtv will suffice. Thanks Though!


Mike

_________________
LIBERTY or DEATH

2005 Sport with "STUFF"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:57 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 84
Location: Arizona
blue or black is fine

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport 4x4
full ome lift
Mopar skids/sliders/tow hooks
Renegade wheels 255/70/16 revo's
K&N CAI
Magnaflow cat-back
Jet chip stage 2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:05 pm 
Offline
Coal Country Wheelin
Coal Country Wheelin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:17 am
Posts: 945
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Thanks guys! I had some blue here in the garage and slapped that on. I was hopin I didn't have to wait for the wife to get home and use her vehicle to goo run and pick up some special stuff. :D

_________________
LIBERTY or DEATH

2005 Sport with "STUFF"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:18 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 84
Location: Arizona
Just make sure you let it cure or you WILL have leaks. Best thing to do is apply a bead to the pan 1/8-1/4" and let it sit for 10 min. before you bolt it up to the tranny. and dont over tighten the bolts either, use factory torque specs. Just trying to save you the headache of getting a leak and having to do it again. :D

_________________
2005 Liberty Sport 4x4
full ome lift
Mopar skids/sliders/tow hooks
Renegade wheels 255/70/16 revo's
K&N CAI
Magnaflow cat-back
Jet chip stage 2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:55 pm 
Offline
Coal Country Wheelin
Coal Country Wheelin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:17 am
Posts: 945
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Bodz123 wrote:
Just make sure you let it cure or you WILL have leaks. Best thing to do is apply a bead to the pan 1/8-1/4" and let it sit for 10 min. before you bolt it up to the tranny. and dont over tighten the bolts either, use factory torque specs. Just trying to save you the headache of getting a leak and having to do it again. :D


Thats exactly what I did. Thanks!

This is good info too for others doing this job!

For others to know it took me eaxctly 5 quarts to do the tranny and transfer case. And that is letting the tranny drip for a little over an hour while I was doing other things.

Now the pig has AMS Oil through out it right down to the grease!!!! :)


Thanks guys!!!

I love this site!!! :D :D :D

_________________
LIBERTY or DEATH

2005 Sport with "STUFF"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:19 pm 
detroit_doc wrote:
There is no gasket on a 42RLE trans pan. RTV works fine.

I forget which kind was recommended for trans pans. But they list the recommendations on the package. Just pick up the one that is recommended for trans pans.


oops :oops:

I was thinking he meant in place of a rubber gasket...I was in the 45RFE mindset, since I haven't done one on a 42RLE.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:11 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
I have a gasket for the 42rle. Idk where it came from as a Lost member(eddo) gave it to me.

RTV works just fine. Ive used it for years on pumpkins and trannys with zero issues.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:12 pm 
my only problem with silicone is getting all the old crap off there next time ya drop the pan. it's a giant PITA.


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com