LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

cheap mopar tail light guards?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26072
Page 1 of 2

Author:  _UnLiMiTeD_ [ Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:58 pm ]
Post subject:  cheap mopar tail light guards?

Does anyone know of where to get some of the mopar tailight guards for cheap? i like the looks of them and would love to have a set. I phoned my dealer and they want $108 for them. Seriously, $108 for molded plastic and some sticky stuff. No way. On ebty they are going for close to $80 then shipping. Is there anywhere else that sells them at a REASONALE price?

Author:  sleeve84028 [ Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

check the for-sale section?

Author:  hyedipin [ Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

Go for graphite ones, they are $40 or so, I think... you can paint them.
(I wanted to paint them, but I am not sure what to use, or how to, maybe fine sand paper and spray paint black)

Author:  Pote [ Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

hyedipin wrote:
Go for graphite ones, they are $40 or so, I think... you can paint them.
(I wanted to paint them, but I am not sure what to use, or how to, maybe fine sand paper and spray paint black)


Hyed...I was wondering about those...what makes the graphites so much cheaper than the others?? aren't they all made of the same material, just coated in different paint, or coated in that cheap fake chrome???

Author:  DryBones [ Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

where did you see the graphite ones?

Author:  hyedipin [ Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

Pote wrote:
hyedipin wrote:
Go for graphite ones, they are $40 or so, I think... you can paint them.
(I wanted to paint them, but I am not sure what to use, or how to, maybe fine sand paper and spray paint black)


Hyed...I was wondering about those...what makes the graphites so much cheaper than the others?? aren't they all made of the same material, just coated in different paint, or coated in that cheap fake chrome???

Cheap fake chrome is the "chrome" set. I have no idea what makes them cheap. Believe me, they cannot be any cheaper then they are, I had a set of black, and they were simple thin cheap plastic, and I paid $85 for them online. They fell off after 6-7 months. They sure look great, though. Graphite ones are cheap because they weren't that popular, I guess. Just get a set and play with them. I think spray paint should be fine. :)

Author:  Jeepman56 [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:46 am ]
Post subject: 

DryBones wrote:
where did you see the graphite ones?


x2. Where did you see the graphite ones? For $40 I would buy a set.

Author:  hyedipin [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:01 am ]
Post subject: 

Well.. wyckoff has them for $28 a pair now. Even lower! :twisted:
If I can paint these suckers, there is not reason why anyone should buy the black ones..
http://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/jeeplibtaill.html
Just choose Graphite Metallic from the dropdown menu.

Author:  Jeepman56 [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:27 am ]
Post subject: 

Wow, check it out, this is right from the website...

Shopping Cart
Item Options Unit Price Qty. In Stock Cost
Jeep Liberty Tail Light Guards
[remove] Color : Graphic Metallic(8231)(-$48.30)
$23.00 $23.00
Jeep Liberty Tail Light Guards
[remove] Color : Black(6906)
$71.30 $71.30

$48.30 for black paint, that is crazy. How are these applied? Bolted on, or stuck on?

Author:  hyedipin [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:33 am ]
Post subject: 

It is exact same thing, identical. Black is just more expensive. (stuck on with 3M) As we speak, I am putting my order through for these..
Unlimited, IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT NOW! :evil: You reminded me.
$29.63 shipped from wyckoff. Not bad. I can probably get a $2 spray paint from walmart.

Author:  chetos [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:38 am ]
Post subject: 

I bought the 28 dollar ones from Wycoff a year ago. To my knowledge, the are the same. They've been fine so far.

Author:  hyedipin [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:41 am ]
Post subject: 

chetos wrote:
I bought the 28 dollar ones from Wycoff a year ago. To my knowledge, the are the same. They've been fine so far.


My passanger side fell of after 5-6 months or so, but it was my fault. I tried apply them in cold weather, and from what I learned, 3M doesn't like cold weather, and it doesn't adhere properly.. Darn it. Now I gotta wait for it get warm outside to apply these..

Author:  chetos [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:02 am ]
Post subject: 

hyedipin wrote:
chetos wrote:
I bought the 28 dollar ones from Wycoff a year ago. To my knowledge, the are the same. They've been fine so far.


My passanger side fell of after 5-6 months or so, but it was my fault. I tried apply them in cold weather, and from what I learned, 3M doesn't like cold weather, and it doesn't adhere properly.. Darn it. Now I gotta wait for it get warm outside to apply these..


Do it in a garage. Get a hair dryer/heat gun and just head up the lights a little bit. Should be good from there.

Author:  _UnLiMiTeD_ [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:12 am ]
Post subject: 

hehe yes i am to blame for peoples happiness lol.

Though the black doesnt show any sale price, only the graphite.

Author:  Pote [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:55 am ]
Post subject: 

I see it says "graphic metallic" and not "graphite"...what could be the difference?? anyone have pics of the graphic metallic?? again though, nothing a can of duplicolor couldn't fix.

Author:  hyedipin [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:56 am ]
Post subject: 

yeah, search for graphite and you will see a few pix, they are just dark grayish color, that freedom fender flares are.

Author:  Pote [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

hyedipin wrote:
yeah, search for graphite and you will see a few pix, they are just dark grayish color, that freedom fender flares are.


I'll look for those...would it be anywhere close to the color of our dark grey sport flares and bumpers? or are those blacker??

Author:  stick [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

I might have to pick up a set of these too for $28 :lol:

If they're plastic, I'd recommend using Krylon Fusion paint. It's specifically made for plastic products. All you have to do to prep the surface is clean it with an ammonia based product, like Windex, and let it dry. Then paint. It worked great on my plastic XJ flares and trim.

Do they stick to the light or the metal area around the light?

Author:  hyedipin [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

stick, they stick on the light, not the metal area.
cleaning with ammonia... these will come with a small wet-napkin type of thing, which you need to clean the tails with before applying, so I assume they can be wiped with that stuff as well. So we don't need to sand it or anything, right?

We have a model shop here, who sells bunch of stuff used to paint model trains, etc.. I am sure they've got some of those stuff that can be used to paint on painted/polished surface of these stuff.

Oh man, paypal won't let me put my work address as delivery address, this is not good.. I still put it there, but wyckoff says they will only ship to the other address... anyway

Author:  _UnLiMiTeD_ [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

so tempting...i need paypal account..and a credit card lol

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/