LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

******Silicone for tranny pan? *******
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26108
Page 1 of 1

Author:  kolesy [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:33 pm ]
Post subject:  ******Silicone for tranny pan? *******

I am in th emiddle of doin the tranny (sts) and was wonderin if any high temp silicone is good to slap around the pan? A quick response would be great! Thanks guys!

Mike

Author:  Guest [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

NO.

Use axle grease to hold the pan gasket in place while you're installing the pan, so it doesn't move around on you. OH GOD how I hate RTV on anything...it's quite possibly the most vile substance on EARTH.

Author:  detroit_doc [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

There is no gasket on a 42RLE trans pan. RTV works fine.

I forget which kind was recommended for trans pans. But they list the recommendations on the package. Just pick up the one that is recommended for trans pans.

Author:  kolesy [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks but there is no pan gasket. I just found in the service manual that it says to use MOPAR RTV but obviously I do not have the mopar stuff lying around so I was wondering if just reg high temp rtv will suffice. Thanks Though!


Mike

Author:  Bodz123 [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

blue or black is fine

Author:  kolesy [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks guys! I had some blue here in the garage and slapped that on. I was hopin I didn't have to wait for the wife to get home and use her vehicle to goo run and pick up some special stuff. :D

Author:  Bodz123 [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

Just make sure you let it cure or you WILL have leaks. Best thing to do is apply a bead to the pan 1/8-1/4" and let it sit for 10 min. before you bolt it up to the tranny. and dont over tighten the bolts either, use factory torque specs. Just trying to save you the headache of getting a leak and having to do it again. :D

Author:  kolesy [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Bodz123 wrote:
Just make sure you let it cure or you WILL have leaks. Best thing to do is apply a bead to the pan 1/8-1/4" and let it sit for 10 min. before you bolt it up to the tranny. and dont over tighten the bolts either, use factory torque specs. Just trying to save you the headache of getting a leak and having to do it again. :D


Thats exactly what I did. Thanks!

This is good info too for others doing this job!

For others to know it took me eaxctly 5 quarts to do the tranny and transfer case. And that is letting the tranny drip for a little over an hour while I was doing other things.

Now the pig has AMS Oil through out it right down to the grease!!!! :)


Thanks guys!!!

I love this site!!! :D :D :D

Author:  Guest [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

detroit_doc wrote:
There is no gasket on a 42RLE trans pan. RTV works fine.

I forget which kind was recommended for trans pans. But they list the recommendations on the package. Just pick up the one that is recommended for trans pans.


oops :oops:

I was thinking he meant in place of a rubber gasket...I was in the 45RFE mindset, since I haven't done one on a 42RLE.

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have a gasket for the 42rle. Idk where it came from as a Lost member(eddo) gave it to me.

RTV works just fine. Ive used it for years on pumpkins and trannys with zero issues.

Author:  Guest [ Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

my only problem with silicone is getting all the old crap off there next time ya drop the pan. it's a giant PITA.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/