LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Luck was on MY SIDE...
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27257
Page 1 of 3

Author:  FastTRX [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Luck was on MY SIDE...

Here's my story of the day and its kinda long...(I can laugh at it now thank god! :lol: )

Well I had good start to my day. Got up and headed to school to find out that it was cancelled due to a power outage. Not to mention Northern Indiana got its first snow of the year last night so the roads were a bit slippery. My friend was following me in his dads explorer and we were heading back to my house to find something constructive to do with our time, and we turned onto the country roads close to my house which were extra slippery. I was running 2WD :x (stupid me) because I have command-trac and the main roads were dry so I never pulled the lever. Next thing you know my right rear tire is spinning faster than the left and I'm pitched sideways on this road heading sideways into a field (about 40mph)...and before I knew it I was sitting in my passenger seat with the KJ on it's passenger SIDE!! :x :x Because of the lift the center of gravity is raised just enough that when I caught traction in that really soft field the momentum met its match and I rolled on my side like a big man had pushed my Jeep over into a pile of pillows. I had to take some help from my friend because I just had rotator cuff surgery 2 weeks ago and my arm was in a sling. I pulled myself out of my door and jumped out...3 people had already stopped and were making sure I was ok. I was completely fine but severly worried about my Jeep. Long story short...wrecker came within 15 mins. of the event and had me over in no time. KJ started and was drove home...NO DAMAGE suffered besides the front fender flare rivet popped out and was loose on the bottom near the pinch weld. I did leak a small amount of power steering fluid but that was it. I was COMPLETELY surprised that nothing happened...this is ONE TOUGH vehicle!!! My KJ has gone through hell and back and still going strong!!!! :twisted: :roll:

No sheet metal reconfigurations, no breakage, no glass broken, mirror folded in perfectly, atennas still intact and no bodily harm. Luck was INDEED on my side today...and I'm glad I can look back at it and laugh, not in the hospital. I didnt manage to get any pics of the Jeep on its side (my friend did on his phone) but I do have some "after" photos. I'll get the pic of it on its side up tomarrow at school.

Please everyone w/ command-trac use part-time when its slick...the short-wheelbase of our Jeeps is bad news when its icy...not to mention the extra height from the lifts. Drive slowly and SAFELY, especially those with lifts!!!

Image
Black field dirt in my wheels...
Image


More pics to come...
Image

Author:  bugnout [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

Wow, its been an eventful year so far. Glad your ok.

Scott

Author:  Fulltimer [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

You lucked out like a fat rat in a cheese factory! Glad nobody was hurt.

Terry

Author:  03CDKJ [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

d@mn Evan!!! Glad you are OK!!!... stop doing bad stuff to that Liberty!!! :lol:
Chris

Author:  FastTRX [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm tellin you guys...its got to be my friend...EVERY time he's with me something goes wrong with me and the Jeep. He was on the trip when the diff gave away!! I'm guna tell him he can't hang out with me anymore...

I've got to be easier on this Jeep. It's been a tough vehicle...but I've seriously got to be easier on it. Thank god I didn't tear my arm up anymore because my parents would have killed me. :shock:

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

You got lucky while not wearing a seat belt.

Author:  FastTRX [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

Tokyojoe wrote:
You got lucky while not wearing a seat belt.

I didn't mention it but you caught me. I was not wearing my seatbelt because it bothers my arm. I am completely and utterly lucky I didn't flip many times.

Dont be stupid like me...I'm 18 and dont claim to know everything but I was definitley being bull-headed. I've learned my lesson.

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ohh wow, glad youre ok! It would be a weird feeling to know that Ive had my jeep over on its side! :shock:

Did you check the engine oil and tranny oil? May want to check the diffs too.

Author:  1300ZUK [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

I did the same thing with My Sonoma once, didn't do anything to the body, but mine was on the driverside

Author:  jsc7002 [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

:shock: :shock: WOW glad your ok, man I prolly would have needed a change of pants if that happened to my jeep :lol:

Author:  1300ZUK [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

btw, isn't the view of the underside great when its on its side :lol:

Author:  Sir Sam [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

FastTRX wrote:
Tokyojoe wrote:
You got lucky while not wearing a seat belt.

I didn't mention it but you caught me. I was not wearing my seatbelt because it bothers my arm. I am completely and utterly lucky I didn't flip many times.

Dont be stupid like me...I'm 18 and dont claim to know everything but I was definitley being bull-headed. I've learned my lesson.


Thats a piss poor excuse. No offense.

Author:  FastTRX [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sir Sam wrote:
FastTRX wrote:
Tokyojoe wrote:
You got lucky while not wearing a seat belt.

I didn't mention it but you caught me. I was not wearing my seatbelt because it bothers my arm. I am completely and utterly lucky I didn't flip many times.

Dont be stupid like me...I'm 18 and dont claim to know everything but I was definitley being bull-headed. I've learned my lesson.


Thats a piss poor excuse. No offense.

I know... :oops:

You live and you learn. I learned today.

Jeepster...I'm checking it all tomarrow morning.

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sir Sam wrote:

Thats a piss poor excuse. No offense.


It would amaze you how many people dont wear them. Guys use to make fun of me in High School b/c I wore mine all the time. :?

Author:  myjeepwalks [ Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:06 am ]
Post subject: 

darn dude that's nuts!! glad you and the kj are ok.

Author:  Albert [ Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:30 am ]
Post subject: 

Wow......glad you are ok. I am surprised that the jeep could roll on it's side and have no body damage at all.... Lucky on both counts.

Author:  C co Crusader 2/127 [ Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:36 am ]
Post subject: 

and nobody ever beleives e whe i say the lib is my "fat little tank on wheels". This further proves my point.

Author:  Weegie5 [ Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:54 am ]
Post subject: 

Nothing like some lake-effect snow. Man, did I hate that!

Do you got to IUSB?

Glad to hear you're okay.

Author:  itsajeepthing [ Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:19 am ]
Post subject: 

Wow ! Glad you are alright man. WHERE YOUR SEATBELT!! 8)

Author:  Sir Sam [ Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:53 am ]
Post subject: 

Jeepjeepster wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

Thats a piss poor excuse. No offense.


It would amaze you how many people dont wear them. Guys use to make fun of me in High School b/c I wore mine all the time. :?


It used to. It doesn't anymore.

I've seen enough head impact marks in windshields. enough bent and broken steering wheels. and all from minor damage that the thought of not wearing it is just alien to me.

Still, I respect if someone makes a conscious personal choice not to wear a seatbelt. It may be a dumb idea, but its their dumb arse on the line most of the time anyways.

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/