It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Auto Transmission 45RFE
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:21 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:02 pm
Posts: 148
Location: Bay Area
Hey gang. I've been MIA for the longest time and also long overdue for a tranny oil change.

I've been wanting to ask for the longest time if anyone knows of a write-up with pictures or anything of how to change the transmission oil on a 45RFE tranny, which, if I'm not mistaken, is supposed to be one of the more robust trannies on the KJ.

I remember reading a few things about it from long lost topics I can no longer find with the search function, such as: 1) its a 45RFE if its really big and bulges into the footwells (I have an 2002 KJ); and 2) when changing the tranny oil, one of the filters or parts is supposed to be reused, unlike the 42RLE transmission, where all the filters have to be replaced. I think there was also mention of something about the RTV or whatever sealant for the oil pan. It's been a long time and I don't remember much about it at all.

Can anyone please help me find a write up, and give me advice on what parts I need to get from the Crysler/Mopar parts center at the dealership? If you know costs too, that would be awesome. My KJ is at 97,000 miles and she hasn't had a tranny oil change yet!


Thanks again everyone!

_________________
"It's not what you drive, but how you drive it."

02 Sport in Stone White
-AEM CAI, Borla XS muffler
-Duralast Premium rotors and PFC pads in front (rotors are cool but the pads suck); Satisfied pads in back drums
-6k HID mains, Hella 500 high beams
-Yokohama Geolandar HTS 235/70 R16
-smoke corners with silver turn signal bulbs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:40 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:03 pm
Posts: 765
Location: Homeless in Vegas
I have done it twice. Once in the Libby and once in the Rubi, yes you drop the pan to drain it. Replace the pan with rtv. I can't remember how much everything ended up costing but it did run a bit of money for all the tranny fuild (ATF+4) and the filter. All I do know is after the last time I swore I would never do it again. I thought after the first time I would know how to do it better, but man..............you just can't do it with out making a big mess and having tons of tranny fluid everywhere. My garage still smells like tranny fluid months later. Also note that when you do it yourself you can never get all the fluid out. I am going to start having it serviced and flushed from this point on. Its definately worth the money to have it done instead of DIY.

_________________
Jeep, its a way of life.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 KL Cherokee Trail Hawk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:46 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
here is a write up on it, its on the 2nd page and down just a little

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=31642

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:14 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:02 pm
Posts: 148
Location: Bay Area
Thanks so much guys!

_________________
"It's not what you drive, but how you drive it."

02 Sport in Stone White
-AEM CAI, Borla XS muffler
-Duralast Premium rotors and PFC pads in front (rotors are cool but the pads suck); Satisfied pads in back drums
-6k HID mains, Hella 500 high beams
-Yokohama Geolandar HTS 235/70 R16
-smoke corners with silver turn signal bulbs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:04 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:33 am
Posts: 455
Location: Louisville, KY
The 45RFE has 2 filters, a typical tranny filter (large, flat and metal) and a small oil filter looking one. I'd replace both while you are in there.

_________________
'03 Liberty w/3.7L & 45FRE Tranny
Revetek 2" Lift & JBA Gen 5 A-arms
Maxxis Buckshot XMT Mudders 31x10.5 on Soft 8's
Jet Stage 2 Chip : '07 Air Intake
Relocated IAT Sensor : '05 HVAC Controls
Front Hitch : EVIC from '01 GC : Custom Rock Rails
Transgo Shift Reprogramming Kit
KC Driving Lights & Aux Backup Lights
.......all GONE!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com