It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Tranmission cooler question, models, when to install?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:49 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:04 pm
Posts: 146
Location: Alexandria, VA
I want to buy an auxiliary transmission cooler. Can anybody suggest a model that will give me the most bang for my buck? Also when is the best time to install one? Around 30k miles when I drain the fluid? Also why am at it should I get some of HD hoses All J’s sells?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:59 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 6:28 pm
Posts: 3880
Location: Wichita/ Pittsburg, Kansas
I bought a Hayden for about $40 from my local auto parts store, although im being lazy and havent installed it yet

_________________
1980 Jeep CJ7 Buggy
SOA, D44/ FF14B, SBC 350, SM465, NP205, 108" WB, 37" MTs

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:53 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Woodward Ave
I think you would buy the cooler based on your needs [size, cooling capacity and attachment methods] They are a great idea and the sooner you install it the better.

_________________
02 Liberty Limited
Silver Outside & Taupe Inside
Heated Seats, Sunroof & Infinity speakers
USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:19 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
I installed a Hayden cooler also,one ment for a 28,000lbs GVWR RV,did it when I had about 200 miles or so on the KJ,paid like $30 for it.AS far as the hoses can't tell you,I change my hoses about every 30,000 miles anyway along with the t-stat and the coolant(about every 3 years).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Don't over cool
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:31 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:52 am
Posts: 3442
Location: Columbus, Ohio. USA
If your in a climate where it gets cold you should get one with a thermostat on it :wink: Some transmissions like the 545rfe on the crd don't allow locking the torque converter untill the transmission reaches operating temperature :D

_________________
Atlantic Blue 06 CRD Limited (his)
Joined by a 2000 XJ Classic (hers)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:08 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:04 pm
Posts: 146
Location: Alexandria, VA
Thx guys, why I am at it should I get a power steering cooler. Anybody have problems with the power steering overheating on a rough trail?

I am trying to prevent problems before they start. I plan on wheeling a little harder this summer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Woodward Ave
I don't do much trail riding, but I do a lot of towing and haven't ever had a problem with the power steering fluid. I know that I have the extra cooler or what ever, but I don't think it's been really benificial in my situation. I would worry about the transmission cooler first and then later down the road you can do the PS cooler if you think you need it.

_________________
02 Liberty Limited
Silver Outside & Taupe Inside
Heated Seats, Sunroof & Infinity speakers
USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com