| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| recovery strap http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33504 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | scarletbegonias [ Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | recovery strap |
i bought this strap because a recovery strap is one of the many items required & inspected to have for beach travel, however after looking it over im not sure whether or not it's meant to be used as a recovery strap..is it just for towing? It doesn't even say what material/s it made out of. i'll have no hesitation returning it and buying the proper one if this is not intended to recover a vehicle. And if this is the case, what are some good brand choices for a recovery strap?
|
|
| Author: | Inc [ Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:10 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
It says right on there tow strap. I did the same exact thing off ebay so don't feel bad. The tow straps don't stretch like a recovery strap will, they stay taught and don't give like a recovery either. The recovery straps are designed for the recovery vehicle to actually drive off and bounce the stuck vehicle out of its situation. This bounce is obtained by the recovery strap stretch. The tow strap will just jerk really hard when it maxes out unlike the recovery's nice easy stretch. Pro comp, ARB are a few great recovery straps but they cost a good deal more than the inexpensive tow straps out there. I now some tow straps will snap reeally bad when pushed beyond the limit, while a good recovery strap will never snap and flail, but only fall to the ground because of the internal webbing design. So there is a safety concern as well. |
|
| Author: | scarletbegonias [ Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
that's what i figured.. what works better 30' or 20'? |
|
| Author: | Inc [ Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:20 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Well, that depends on you, both will work equally well, but sometimes you don't need 30' and sometimes you wish you had 30'. Both will work the same as long as they are the same strength strap. |
|
| Author: | bugnout [ Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:42 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Length is really determined by what you do. If your getting pulled or pulling people out of mud holes, get a long one. Lot easier to pull someone out of a mud hole if your not in it. If your mostly doing rock crawling and trail riding, 14-20 ft works best. anything beyond that warrants a winch. I carry a 14 foot strap, have not yet had a situation where I needed more. |
|
| Author: | jason thompson [ Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
That strap will work fine as long as you dont get stupid with it by get stupid I mean back up to with in 10' of the stuck rig and get a running start to pull them out if this is what is needed to get them out then your rig is to small to get them out and a bigger tow rig is needed I have used a strap like that to pull a 2wd F150 who had NO tires on the back touching and had no problem also used the same strap to pull a 7000# fork lift also with no tires touching in the front ,front wheel drive so he was not helping at all and it was like dragging a 7K# block and yes the KJ was smoking 1 front and 1 rear wheel because I was in 4lo on dry pavement and nothing broke but I also eased into it rather than just run at it like any thing you use common sense will go much further than brute force |
|
| Author: | Inc [ Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Here is a video of how a recovery is supposed to go, under ideal circumstances anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5BJpYqfjRo This way... not so much, There wasn't enough strength with this strap for this recovery, but you can see it stretch like it should but when a good strap fails it shouldn't whip like this, but simply fall to the ground.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgMKnJUg ... re=related or like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEtuO-Mh ... re=related Or possibly the scariest of the ones I've found, this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFlnwZHb334 |
|
| Author: | jason thompson [ Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:44 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
incubusmike wrote: Here is a video of how a recovery is supposed to go, under ideal circumstances anyway:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5BJpYqfjRo This way... not so much, There wasn't enough strength with this strap for this recovery, but you can see it stretch like it should but when a good strap fails it shouldn't whip like this, but simply fall to the ground.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgMKnJUg ... re=related or like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEtuO-Mh ... re=related Or possibly the scariest of the ones I've found, this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFlnwZHb334 The 2 straps that broke must have been some dinky straps Like I said the one he posted will hold back a KJ in 4lo on dry ground the first one that broke did not even hold back enough to cause the wheels on the tow rig to spin and the second looked like a rope not a strap Like I keep posting about recovery you need COMMON SENSE over strength I have seen knuckle heads break 20,000# lifting straps ,basically stronger than ANY strap you will buy other than a 25,000# lifting strap yet in all the years I have been off roading I have NEVER broken a strap pulled hooks off of frames ,bad mounting, but never broke a strap, common sense I tell people "dont go in there it will be a PITA to get you out" or "yeah I made it but I am locked front and rear and running swampers you are not and I really dont feel like getting you unstuck" ,common sense now he did say that he was riding on the beach which means sand I dont like sand and I like even more pulling people out of sand but I know it can be done have seen a TJ on 33's pull an F250 power smoke crew cab 4wd out of the sand and both were in the sand and the TJ did not have to get stupid get the stuck rig to SLOWLY turn his tires while rocking the wheel left to right rapidly then have the tow rig tug in a strait line and do not stop and it worked on the first try |
|
| Author: | Inc [ Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:41 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Don't get me wrong, I was agreeing with you for the most part Jason. I agree 100% about common sense and that strap might be enough for scarletbegonias to use, but if scarlet wants a recovery strap and not a tow strap, then I would upgrade. The guys in the videos were idiots for the most part, but you still never know when a tow strap might give compared to a recovery strap. Just because you have never experienced it doen't mean it doesn't happen too. I used a 12,000 lbs tow strap to pull my brothers broke down CJ8 on 3 different occasions, and my brother inlaw's broken down ford ranger once and already it was coming apart where the loop on the end is stitched. And those were just on city streets, so I am afraid of what might of happened if I used that strap on a real heavy duty recovery situation. (yes, the strap I had was a piece o crap) Bad part is, you may have common sense but tons of other people don't so what happens when they get stuck and you help them out with a strap meant for towing and not recovery? It doesn't hurt to play it safe and prepare for worst case scenario. my 2 cents |
|
| Author: | jsc7002 [ Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I have one of those and it works great! Ive used it alot too, for length though I have 2 and tie them together for 40' when i need longer |
|
| Author: | scarletbegonias [ Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
screwit! |
|
| Author: | Inc [ Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:25 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Nice. That sounds like a pretty good price for the pro comp one too. Not really sure what they run though, but sounds good. |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
This is the my big strap....http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_43893_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1.......made for tractors so plenty stong enough for a KJ.I noprmally use a 20' version of the same strap,then I have my 100' of synthetic winch rope(soon to be switched to 19,000lbs 3/8" orange Viking line). |
|
| Author: | jdorris [ Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:29 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
This is the scariest one I have seen, an oldie but goodie. [url] http://www.rigginglifting.com/informati ... 11029.html[/url] |
|
| Author: | scarletbegonias [ Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:23 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Got the procomp 2"x20" recovery strap in the mail today..quick shipping from amazon!! Thanks for the feedback on this guys ::thumbs up:: |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|