| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| V6 or CRD? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33763 |
Page 1 of 4 |
| Author: | Matt400 [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:17 am ] |
| Post subject: | V6 or CRD? |
We have a really nice 03 V6 Liberty and like it allot but when we were looking we wanted a CRD and none were around. Now I find a few CRD's here and there, kinda sparse but looks like we could step out of our 03 and into an 05 CRD for a 5K premium. Based on fuel in our area, our 03 costs us .29 per mile to operate where a CRD would cost us .19 per mile. At 18k miles per year it would take just under 3 years to break even in the change to Diesel. But is it a gamble...? will the new "other" clean diesels heading our way drive diesel prices up so high that gas won't look so bad? |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:38 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
After all the maintance costs for failed CRD parts that mpg differance will swing toward the gas KJ real fast(EGR,turbo,TC,tranny,and many more). |
|
| Author: | Sir Sam [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:40 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
CRD. Also, you might want to pop over and ask in the CRD section. |
|
| Author: | durangotang [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:08 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
CRD x 2 |
|
| Author: | sleeve84028 [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:42 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
CRD motion is seconded. |
|
| Author: | Cobalt-60 [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:54 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I have to agree with Troy on this one. Everyone I have talked to with the CRD said that it spent more time in the shop than on the road. Does not mean that it is not a very capable vehicle, but if I wanted to deal with something that spent that much time at the dealer's, I would buy a Land Rover. Wasn't there an earlier VM Motori engine that was put in the KJ overseas before the 2.8L CRD came out? Wasn't this engine supposed to be more reliable? |
|
| Author: | bugnout [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:17 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
You haven't talked to me then Mine has been in the shop for: 1. Failed EGR - replaced under warranty at 22k Flash upgrade of ECM and TCM 2. Recall for ball joints 3. Recall for Torque Converter I have 56k on my CRD I have made a couple of MODs, these are the ones I fell are neccessary for any CRD KJ. -InTank Lift pump, -- Solved all issues with hard starting and air in fuel system -EHM -- Will save your turbo -ORM -- Better fuel mileage and saves your EGR |
|
| Author: | JL Rockies [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:26 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
CRD. Mine has been perfect. I bought used in 07 it was a former rental so you know it was thrashed. I put 46K trouble-free miles in 07. You'll find that a very small minority does most of the complaining about the CRD. |
|
| Author: | jsc7002 [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:47 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
either way I think you will be happy, but I do like that the CRD has a lot of torque and pretty darn good mpg.....even when towing |
|
| Author: | sleeve84028 [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:57 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
If my KJ ever has something catastrophic happen to it, I'll only replace it with a CRD. Even if they are trouble some - that extra power must be incredible. |
|
| Author: | MaineSleddah [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:20 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
My vote is for the CRD hands down... I bought mine used back in Febuary 2008. It only had 23K miles and all the recalls had been done. I've only logged 8K miles on it but..... I have towed a 5500# trailer over 200 miles @ 70 to 75 mph and got 19 MPG I average 22 MPG city and highway I have got as high as 28.9 MPG driving across up state NY. The extra weight up front makes it handle very well in the snow!!! I have put into and out of places most SUVs never see and no pickup could. All my mpg figures are real world and NOT the EVIC readout. My EVIC seems to be about 7% off in favor of beter than actual mileage. They have been sold all over the world, long before they were available here and most anyone who own's one loves it... |
|
| Author: | bugnout [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:31 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
MaineSleddah wrote: They have been sold all over the world, long before they were available here and most anyone who own's one loves it...
Good point, They were only 10000 sold over 2 years in the states, but they were sold in larger numbers worldwide. the earlier models were 2.5L and non-turbocharged, but still the VM engine. Parts will be available |
|
| Author: | Milner [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:53 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
CRD! Haters hear the voices of the few....30K on our 06 and the only shop time has been for window regulators....Gas or CRD have that issue |
|
| Author: | CRD Sport [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:22 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
CRD! |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:26 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Sir Sam wrote: CRD. You are trying to scare hime aren't you? Also, you might want to pop over and ask in the CRD section. It's not the fact that I don't like CRD's or deisels it's just the US version of the CRD is a lemon due to the strict emission laws and mis-matched TC in the tranny.A problem the export KJ's did not have to worry about,also the exports get the manual tranny.It also seams like the least amount of problems is occuring in the '02-'04 KJ model years overall. |
|
| Author: | chrispitude [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:11 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
JL Rockies wrote: You'll find that a very small minority does most of the complaining about the CRD.
Yep, the folks who haven't sold them yet. - Chris |
|
| Author: | InCommando [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Your 3 year calculation does not appear to take the cost of diesel vs. reg. unleaded into account, merely the "premium" cost of the new purchase. .10/mile over 54,000 miles is $5,400. Unless you are not paying tax, it will cost you at least that to cover the purchase difference. When you add the .70 cents/gal ( or whatever it is in your area ) x your actual mileage, I think you will be looking at longer than 3 years to make up the difference. And by then you will have a fairly old vehicle whose parts are readily available if you wish to import them o Ebai-aItalia or some such. Your parts local house is not going to keep much on hand for something that sold such a tiny # of vehicles. ( I'm sorry, but 12,000 is tiny, no matter how you slice it.). . Can you afford to wait 3 weeks to get a part for your DD? Even a CRD proponent is explaining that the CRD has issues without certain upgrades that he considers mandatory to eliminate inherent CRD problems. Remember to take things from fans with a grain of salt. I've had people tell me how great an MG midget is, when it fact it is one of the biggest piles I have ever been around. Do what you want as it is your money. But I think your wanting of a CRD may be coloring your view of it to some extent. |
|
| Author: | JL Rockies [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:57 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I have not made any of those silly mods listed an mine is still perfect. Also, price of gas still trends upwards while diesel is beginning to trend downwards. Offroad, I can idle over most obstacles which leaves a whole lot of juice in the tank. Ask anyone who went on the White Rim Trail with me during LOST 07. After day 1, the gassers all had about 1/4 tank left while I had 3/4 (and we weren't off the trail yet). It was quite the buzz. Torque is Latin for "Large man parts" |
|
| Author: | Cobalt-60 [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:52 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Don't get me wrong, when the CRD was released here in '05, I SERIOUSLY considered trading mine in for one. I also was VERY impressed with the CRD I ran Tellico with at the 2007 Jeep Jamboree there last October. I was very unimpressed with the stories that that owner told about it always being in the shop (and I believe he worked for a dealership), and the few others that I have run into who owned one. Gas prices here are about a $1.00 per gal higher for diesel verses petrol. What are the rest of you seeing? Too bad the 2.5L was never available here. |
|
| Author: | jsc7002 [ Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:57 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
diesel is about a $1.00 higher here too |
|
| Page 1 of 4 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|