LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Code engine P 0442 question...
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34738
Page 1 of 1

Author:  jdumont [ Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Code engine P 0442 question...

Hi all, so i know this 0442 means minor evap system leak. This morning I replaced a hose underneath at the charcoal canister that had a small split in it then unplugged the battery for a minute. Check engine light now off of course.

My question now is how long (miles/drive cycles) do I have to wait before I know that was actually the fix and it wont throw that code again? I'm on vacation this week and want to get it inspected but cant until that code is cleared from the computer.
Is there any way to accelerate the code coming back or a way to check when its gone? I'm going to go check now but can i do the key on/off test even when the check engine light is off?

Thanks in advance
Josh

Author:  meh_kick [ Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Code engine P 0442 question...

jdumont wrote:
Hi all, so i know this 0442 means minor evap system leak. This morning I replaced a hose underneath at the charcoal canister that had a small split in it then unplugged the battery for a minute. Check engine light now off of course.

My question now is how long (miles/drive cycles) do I have to wait before I know that was actually the fix and it wont throw that code again? I'm on vacation this week and want to get it inspected but cant until that code is cleared from the computer.
Is there any way to accelerate the code coming back or a way to check when its gone? I'm going to go check now but can i do the key on/off test even when the check engine light is off?

Thanks in advance
Josh


I've found that 5-10 cycles will clear a code that's been corrected. You can also disconnect the battery for 2 or 3 minutes, that's done the trick for me when I found a disconnected hose throwing the P0441 error.

Author:  jdumont [ Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

POSTING FOR FUTURE SEARCHERS....

Check out this pic... its of the canister area above the diff. The hose that was bad on mine went to the center fitting that shows no hose in this image for some reason. I drew a red arrow to the fitting it went on. I just cut it off and threw in a new piece of rubber fuel line.
Just feel around here and in the engine compartment next to the battery (thats the purge valve i think) and youll know when a piece of rubber is dry rotted. I think for the most part all the rubber in the engine compartment is a longer lasting material so start in the back.

Image

Author:  Dje Ryu [ Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

If it didn't come back right away, I'd say you solved the problem that was giving you the code. However, when I put my stock rims (with tpm sensors still in them) it takes 15 minutes or 15 miles, whichever comes first, for the tire warning light to go off.

Author:  Prospect62 [ Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:30 am ]
Post subject: 

Dje Ryu wrote:
If it didn't come back right away, I'd say you solved the problem that was giving you the code.


Providing the repair was a good one (e.g. one that lasts), if the CEL doesn't come back within the first 5-10 minutes of driving, I'd say you're good to go. That's just from personal experience, I'm sure there's an actual technical answer out there.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/