It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Fuel tank size?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:05 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:39 am
Posts: 996
Location: Halifax. Nova Scotia
What is the fuel tank size on the 02 liberty? I initally thought it was 70L, but after filling up today with 1/8 left in my tank, it was only just over 50L of fuel... that doesn't make any sense to me?!?

_________________
02 KJ "Frank The Turtle"
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3111598


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:00 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
It is 18.5 gallons (70 liters), but when the low fuel chime comes on there is around 3 gallons left (11.5 liters).

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:03 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1297
Location: Minneapolis, MN
I won't bet on their being 3 gallons of fuel left in the tank when the light comes on. I would think MAYBE 2 gallons. When the light comes on my overhead consul it says I can go 20 miles before empty and at 17 MPG highway I’d assume I have about 1.5 gallons left.

_________________
"I'm the guy who does his job, you must be the other guy"
02 Black UNlimited Edition 4X4 Select Trac Liberty Towing/Off Road Packages 245/75/16 on black Moabs
RL diff cover/Super Skink sliders, Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift w/ clevis lift, Roof basket W/Hella FF75...
On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877


Last edited by Maximum Carnage on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:05 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:39 am
Posts: 996
Location: Halifax. Nova Scotia
My low fuel light wasn't on, so I must of had more than that left. Could it be possible that my fuel gauge is reading wrong? Cause 50L of gas, would of been 3/4 of a tank, if my tank was actually at 1/8 or less, than I would of had to purchase over 60L of gas...

_________________
02 KJ "Frank The Turtle"
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3111598


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:21 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Maximum Carnage wrote:
I won't bet on their being 3 gallons of fuel left in the tank when the light comes on. I would think MAYBE 2 gallons. When the light comes on my overhead consul it says I can go 20 miles before empty and at 17 MPG highway I’d assume I have about 1.5 gallons left.


Check your owners manual. That is what is written in mine.

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:52 am 
Offline
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 1815
Location: Northern Virginia
18.5 gal? I have never been able to get close to that number when filling my wifes 02 pre-lowered, even when bone dry. I thought the older ones had a smaller tank?

_________________
Jason
----------
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:55 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 1066
Location: Bel Air, Md
18.5 gal. was the smaller tank. For 03 it went up to 19.5 gal. and I think it went to 20.5 gal. in 04 where it has been since.

_________________
David
Bel Air,Md
2003 KJ Patriot Blue Sport w/mods R.I.P.
2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:39 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:17 pm
Posts: 111
Location: Irwin, PA
My 03 has 18.6 per the book in my glove box. A few sites I have looked at show 18.5, but im sure .10 gal of gas don't make much of a difference when you are down that low. I have read a post here that the light goes on at 2.5 gal. I am waiting for the build sheet for Jeep im sure it will be listed there.

_________________
IamBob
03KJsport
Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO
Mopar hooks
Class 3 hitch
comming soon mopar plates
rock rails
http://www.myjeepspace.com/user/iambob/gallery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:07 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:11 am
Posts: 824
Location: Castle Rock, Colorado
Many people on this forum know as I do...when the EVIC says 0 miles to empty, you still have around 40 miles to go.

_________________
2003 Limited, Silver - L.O.S.T. # 068957 Rockies
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2127390/14
2006 Kawasaki KLR650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:52 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 34
Location: H'burg, PA
DryBones wrote:
18.5 gal? I have never been able to get close to that number when filling my wifes 02 pre-lowered, even when bone dry. I thought the older ones had a smaller tank?



I'm in the same boat with mine... but I just checked my build sheet and it said:

Code:
 NF2S -  18.5 Gallon Fuel Tank




Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:02 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Woodward Ave
Yup the 2002's have the smaller fuel tank.

Last week I was able to put in 17.6 gallons... That's a record for me. I usually only need about 16 gallons to top off.

Fuel light comes on at 2 gallons.

_________________
02 Liberty Limited
Silver Outside & Taupe Inside
Heated Seats, Sunroof & Infinity speakers
USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
iambob wrote:
My 03 has 18.6 per the book in my glove box. A few sites I have looked at show 18.5, but im sure .10 gal of gas don't make much of a difference when you are down that low. I have read a post here that the light goes on at 2.5 gal. I am waiting for the build sheet for Jeep im sure it will be listed there.


If you open your owners manual to page 112, it says that the low fuel chime comes on when there is 3 gallons left in the tank (12 liters). This is in my 2002 manual.

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:20 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:42 pm
Posts: 27
Location: MD
Most I have gotten in my 04 is like 16.2, and that was well after the light came on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:10 pm
Posts: 78
Location: Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
I got stuck on the wrong side of a forest fire on July long weekend and had to back track about 75 miles to get gas and a good 50 miles of that was after the low fuel light came on. I put a record 17.5 gals. in. I am sure my build sheet says i have a 19.5 gal. tank. Maybe if the tank is filled to 100% cap. it will hold that much. Either way it would be nice to know without having to run out of gas.

_________________
L.O.S.T. #174455, 04 Renegade, Full Mopar Skids, Trac-Loc, All J Interior Rack,
Frankenlift II Premium, ARB Bumper, Surco safari rack, 265/70/16 BFG AT KO, K&N, Sirius
Al's Arms, Garmin GPS, Machined CV'S


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:26 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Most Ive put in mine is 17 gallons. I ran the DTE to 0 and drove it another 15 miles or so.

The 2004 has a 19.5 gallon tank.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:20 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
It's always nice to carry extra fuel, I'm putting a transfer tank in the back of my truck. On the KJ, I'm limited on options, so I plan to carry a 5 gallon jerry can on the back of a RL bumper.

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:56 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:17 pm
Posts: 111
Location: Irwin, PA
I just got my build sheet & I got 18.5 gallon tank so my book is wrong it had said 18.6 gallon. Glad I havnt had to depend on that final .10 gallon lol. The most I haev put in tho was 17 gallon.

_________________
IamBob
03KJsport
Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO
Mopar hooks
Class 3 hitch
comming soon mopar plates
rock rails
http://www.myjeepspace.com/user/iambob/gallery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:23 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:46 am
Posts: 798
Location: Williamson, NY
My '03 has the 18.5 gallon tank. The furthest I've gone on one tank was around 340 miles and it took 17.5 gallons to fill it until it was literally spilling out of the filler port.

_________________
2003 Renegade 4X4 5-Speed, Bright Silver *TRADED for 2013 Wrangler*
PIAA 520 Auxiliary Lights
Garmin GPSMAP 76S
DynoMax Ultra Flow SS Muffler
Amsoil Ea "Absolute Efficiency" Air Filter
Nokian Vatiiva 235/70/R16 Tires
Pixeldzn's "RENEGADE" decals
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com