| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Starter issue http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34792 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | jeepkj02 [ Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:42 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Starter issue |
My factory starter has been going out periodically. So I bought a remaned one and had it installed today. Started fine at the mechanics, but its been sitting in my driveway about 30 minutes and I go and start it....nothing. Any ideas? Could there be another issue?? |
|
| Author: | Blue KJ in PA [ Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:54 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Was the "bad" starter checked? My ride had issues like that for a while and it was the battery slowly marching towards death. |
|
| Author: | jeepkj02 [ Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:57 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Just had the battery replaced with a red top optima. The factory starter hasn't been checked. When you turn the key, the engine doesn't attempt to crank. |
|
| Author: | jeepkj02 [ Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:04 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Could it be the starter relay?? |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:12 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
jeepkj02 wrote: Could it be the starter relay?? That or your ignition switch is going bad.
|
|
| Author: | jeepkj02 [ Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
tjkj2002 wrote: jeepkj02 wrote: Could it be the starter relay?? That or your ignition switch is going bad.But it only starts when one person turns the ignition and another crawls underneath and gives the starter a wack. |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
jeepkj02 wrote: tjkj2002 wrote: jeepkj02 wrote: Could it be the starter relay?? That or your ignition switch is going bad.But it only starts when one person turns the ignition and another crawls underneath and gives the starter a wack. Sounds like the original starter soliniod had some carbon build up on the copper washer.you may now have a wiring connection problem,heat soaked starter,or a bad soliniod copper washer in the remaned starter. |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Have you tried hitting this starter to see if it starts? |
|
| Author: | jeepkj02 [ Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Jeepjeepster wrote: Have you tried hitting this starter to see if it starts?
Several times, that is the only way it WILL start! EDIT: Something weird I noticed, that I forgot to add. It will start if the Jeep has been parked for several hours or overnight. But if I try to start it after I've been parked for 30 minutes and try to restart it won't. |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:06 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
jeepkj02 wrote: Jeepjeepster wrote: Have you tried hitting this starter to see if it starts? Several times, that is the only way it WILL start! EDIT: Something weird I noticed, that I forgot to add. It will start if the Jeep has been parked for several hours or overnight. But if I try to start it after I've been parked for 30 minutes and try to restart it won't. |
|
| Author: | jeepkj02 [ Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:12 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
The starter hasn't ever been run without a heat shield. |
|
| Author: | jeepkj02 [ Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:21 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Okay.....had the original starter tested, and it checked out fine!! Which kinda sucks because I bought a new starter for no reason. Any other culprits?? EDIT: Also got a P1698 Code!!??!! |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:34 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
jeepkj02 wrote: Okay.....had the original starter tested, and it checked out fine!! Which kinda sucks because I bought a new starter for no reason. OBDII code P1698 is No CCD messange from TCM.You may have some wiring problems from the TCM to the PCM,I'd start checking the wiring harness for any frayed wires.If the PCM lost signals from the TCM then your KJ may not crank,but when you hammer on the starter you somehow gain continuity between the TCM and the PCM.
Any other culprits?? EDIT: Also got a P1698 Code!!??!! Start tracing wires,always a fun job......................NOT |
|
| Author: | jeepkj02 [ Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Thanks for your help. I start doing that and report back as soon as I find something. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|