LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

removing front air deflector thingy
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34992
Page 1 of 3

Author:  jerbacher [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:33 pm ]
Post subject:  removing front air deflector thingy

I wanna take off the air deflector under the front bumper. I thought all the rivets under there were plastic, but they seem to be metal. Any advice in getting them out? Thanks.

Author:  03CDKJ [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

mine were plastic.... I had to take it off after the badlands... :roll:

chris

Author:  modular [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

You can either just yank the plastic air dam out at those 2 points or drill out the 2 metal rivets. I can't remember if they held anything else in place... :roll:

Author:  tommudd [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

I drilled mine part way then RIPPED it the rest

Author:  03CDKJ [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

tommudd wrote:
I drilled mine part way then RIPPED it the rest


That's how mine came off! It was ripped off from the mud bog. :D

Author:  jerbacher [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

wow, look at ohio come through on the replies! way to go guys. thanks

Author:  RAYMAN975 [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

(after playing in an unplowed snowy parking lot :) )i heard my tires rubbing something as i was pulling into my snowy driveway the one day, and then it stopped, i looked in my rear view as im pulling up the driveway, and at the bottom of the driveway is that air deflector haha :lol:

Author:  rangerd77 [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

<-----------LOOK at AVATAR!!!!!!!!! J/K bro, but yeah just drill then out with a small bit and then yank her off

Author:  501 [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

cdiekhans wrote:
tommudd wrote:
I drilled mine part way then RIPPED it the rest


That's how mine came off!


x3

Author:  rescu2000 [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

Just took mine off a couple of days ago for looks. Mine had the metal rivets too. Two metal and three plastic. One of the plastic ones was from the top. I drilled out the four from the bottom, removed the two bolts and just yanked the other one free (the one from the top). Then the bolts went back in to hold the fascia from the bumper. I think it might have held some of the plastic together, but it is plenty strong enough without the rivets. No worries, drill away.
Rescu2000

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

Not to rain on anyones parade but that air darn is a very vital part of your cooling system at highway speeds and removing it can cause overheating issues by causing airflow lose going through the radaitor.That air darn creates a high pressure area that forces the air through the radiator.

Yes I know many have done it on '05+ KJ's with no issues but they will have issues later on.And what about those that run the ARB's? Well they have a air darn that acts like the OEM deflector but looks different.

Author:  jerbacher [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

tjkj2002 wrote:
Not to rain on anyones parade but that air darn is a very vital part of your cooling system at highway speeds and removing it can cause overheating issues by causing airflow lose going through the radaitor.That air darn creates a high pressure area that forces the air through the radiator.

Yes I know many have done it on '05+ KJ's with no issues but they will have issues later on.And what about those that run the ARB's? Well they have a air darn that acts like the OEM deflector but looks different.


interesting...

Author:  Guest [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

Troy, you're saying that the little air dam WAAAAAAAY at the bottom of the bumper directly beneath the radiator is that vital to cooling?

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

I just noticed that somehow when I typed in "d a m n" it changed to darn :roll: .

Author:  03CDKJ [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

tjkj2002 wrote:
Not to rain on anyones parade but that air darn is a very vital part of your cooling system at highway speeds and removing it can cause overheating issues by causing airflow lose going through the radaitor.That air darn creates a high pressure area that forces the air through the radiator.

Yes I know many have done it on '05+ KJ's with no issues but they will have issues later on.And what about those that run the ARB's? Well they have a air darn that acts like the OEM deflector but looks different.


Is that why my relay to my radiator blew? It's been fine ever since I installed the new Beefier relay.
So does Rock lizard do Wind tunnel experiements with their bumpers?
How do you know (if you are fabbing up your own bumper) how to compensate for this?

chris

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

cdiekhans wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
Not to rain on anyones parade but that air darn is a very vital part of your cooling system at highway speeds and removing it can cause overheating issues by causing airflow lose going through the radaitor.That air darn creates a high pressure area that forces the air through the radiator.

Yes I know many have done it on '05+ KJ's with no issues but they will have issues later on.And what about those that run the ARB's? Well they have a air darn that acts like the OEM deflector but looks different.


Is that why my relay to my radiator blew? It's been fine ever since I installed the new Beefier relay.
So does Rock lizard do Wind tunnel experiements with their bumpers?
How do you know (if you are fabbing up your own bumper) how to compensate for this?

chris
The same way ARB did,testing already done :wink: ,well the same concept that works the same way but will look different as not to infringe on any copyrights.Plus it adds to the look with the simple recovery bumber in design.

Author:  LIV42DY [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Not for nothing but I think tJ is right. I took mine off for a few months and replaced it, noticed higher engine temp on the highway. I would leave it on unless you go ARB, I think back at the time they designed the ARB fot the KJ they made provisions for this. but who knows, sometimes I cant remember what went on yesterday :?

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ive also heard it helps with wind resistance by making the air go lower under the Jeep. Weather or not thats true I have no idea.

Author:  Fouros [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

bugger i just removed mine because the 265/70's were rubbing on full lock

marty better get the new bumper done in a hurry :)

Author:  Fulltimer [ Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Interesting, I have never over heated except when playing in a mud bog. Temps up to 100* driving at interstate speeds and the temp is always the same...right in the middle. I'm not disputing the purpose of the airdam but it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

Terry

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/