LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Tensioner puller clicking?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35095
Page 1 of 2

Author:  ISpy [ Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Tensioner puller clicking?

I hear this ticking, clicking noise from my pulley area. I'm thinking maybe it's the lower tensioner pulley.
Sometimes it's not there and other times I can hear it. Usually when I start and it's cold. Do I need to change
the tensioner pulley or can I just WD40 it somehow? How much does it cost to replace? Has anyone else had
this problem? Thanks in advance for any knowledgable replies.

Author:  tjkoen01 [ Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:01 am ]
Post subject: 

when you suspect you have an issue with your tensioner pulley, your best bet would to be replace asap. i don't think it is expensive, but if it breaks, you are stuck. I think there are some people on here that carry a spare tensioner and belt with them at all times....i'm sure there is a good story behind it :wink:

Author:  tommudd [ Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:37 am ]
Post subject: 

remove the belt and roll the pulley by hand sometimes you can either hear a noise or feel it dragging if its bad. Easy to change out , mine went at 91000 , carried a spare for a long time knowing sooner or later :wink:

Author:  ROWA [ Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

Replace it, the last thing you want, is to be stranded with a shredded serpentine belt. Check the waterpump while your at it. :)

Author:  Joe Jeeper [ Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have the fifth one on mine it clicked one week after the Dealer installed it! I was so fed up I've left it on and it's been on about a year.
Can't get an aftermarket tensioner with a 3" idler pulley even with the correct part # ordered tried Good Year and two other brands. Just talking about it raises my blood pressure, it's the only &%$# thing I don't like about my Liberty other than the lousy fuel mileage! (Sorry about venting!)

Author:  ISpy [ Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

So Joe, how much is the part to replace? Thanks.

Author:  KJ 119 [ Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

Had mine replaced by warranty about 3 weeks ago.
Was squeeling like a son of a(Boy shut your mouth)!
3 weeks later,starting to squeel :evil: Hate that noise.

Author:  SoDakJeep [ Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

mine went out when I was 800 miles from home. Without the pulley you are not going any where. No charging system,cooling system, or power steering. Makes a fun trip when your stranded on the side of the road.....but lucky for RockLizard saved the day. Nice guy he knew what was wrong an even gave me a ride from the Springs back to Denver.

Author:  ISpy [ Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:42 am ]
Post subject: 

Cost anyone?

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

ISpy wrote:
Cost anyone?
Depending on what brand(Dayco or Goodyear for aftermarket) will run you about $60-$120 for the tensioner,you will want to get a new serp belt also.

You should always change both the tensioner and serp belt together,the tensioner wears out at the same rate as the serp belt does.

Author:  ISpy [ Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks tjkj and others. After reading these posts I've decided to just change it out to be safe.
The stealer-ship has me scheduled in for next Wednesday for $200 including the new belt.
Hope it lasts that long. It only rattles usually when I turn on the A/C which puts more torque
on the pulley I guess. Doesn't rattle all the time so I'm guessing I can make it a few more
days God willing. Thanks for all the replies.

Author:  tommudd [ Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

very easy to replace it, takes 10 minutes at most or so, 200 bucks ???? drive down to Toledo and I will do it for $15 ( you buying the parts of course) that way next time you will know how to do it yourself :wink:

NAPA Drivebelt Tensioner Assembly 73 bucks ( Toledo Price) , belt they have 2 one is 20 other 44 bucks total of 117.

Author:  KJ04 [ Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

tommudd wrote:
very easy to replace it, takes 10 minutes at most or so, 200 bucks ???? drive down to Toledo and I will do it for $15 ( you buying the parts of course) that way next time you will know how to do it yourself :wink:

NAPA Drivebelt Tensioner Assembly 73 bucks ( Toledo Price) , belt they have 2 one is 20 other 44 bucks total of 117.


Why does he need the tensioner assembly if just the $22.00 pully is bad?
As for the belt , just take it off and look at the backside. If the ridges don't have bad cracks or missing pieces then just spray it good with silicone belt conditioner and throw it back on.
As Tom stated this can be done in 10 - 15 mins. with a 3/8 drive rachet and a socket. There is even a diagram when you lift the hood on how to route the belt. Doesn't get much easier, and certainly not worth $200.00.

Author:  tommudd [ Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

agree with ya there KJ04 on just replacing the pulley, I was listing the worst case or highest price it would be and thats retail at NAPA, which some of don't have to pay :wink:

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

KJ04 wrote:
tommudd wrote:
very easy to replace it, takes 10 minutes at most or so, 200 bucks ???? drive down to Toledo and I will do it for $15 ( you buying the parts of course) that way next time you will know how to do it yourself :wink:

NAPA Drivebelt Tensioner Assembly 73 bucks ( Toledo Price) , belt they have 2 one is 20 other 44 bucks total of 117.


Why does he need the tensioner assembly if just the $22.00 pully is bad?
As for the belt , just take it off and look at the backside. If the ridges don't have bad cracks or missing pieces then just spray it good with silicone belt conditioner and throw it back on.
As Tom stated this can be done in 10 - 15 mins. with a 3/8 drive rachet and a socket. There is even a diagram when you lift the hood on how to route the belt. Doesn't get much easier, and certainly not worth $200.00.
If it is clicking just replacing the pulleys will fix nothing,the internal spring is what is going out and a whole new tensinor is needed.And why you should always replace the belt and tensionor at the same time is the belt will stretch after time,even if it is not cracked,and the tensioner has a certian range and when your belt is stretched it will wear out the tensionor's spring and then the tensionor will not properly hold the correct tension causing belt slippage.

Author:  Joe Jeeper [ Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

I ordered the Daystar from Advance - wrong sized pulley, and the Goodyear from National Auto - wrong sized pulley. The Five I had on including the current are OEM put on by Dealer either warranty or extended warranty and everyone clicked, present one on about a year.
Tried silicone on the nylon between the moving parts - no good.

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

Joe Jeeper wrote:
I ordered the Daystar from Advance - wrong sized pulley, and the Goodyear from National Auto - wrong sized pulley. The Five I had on including the current are OEM put on by Dealer either warranty or extended warranty and everyone clicked, present one on about a year.
Tried silicone on the nylon between the moving parts - no good.
That is really odd since the Dayco one I had worked perfectly,and now the GoodYear one also is working perfectly(changed my serp belt/tensioner again at 60,000miles).Both fit perfectly and the belts fit perfectly and no clicking.I went through a few OEM tensioners due to bearing failures but the last one started clicking soon after install only when the A/C was turned on(or defrost) so I replaced it with a Dayco one and no clicking.There should be no clicking,as the clicking means a internal problem in the tensioner.

Author:  Joe Jeeper [ Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'd put one on tomorrow if I could find one with the correct idler pulley!
(3" dia.)

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

Joe Jeeper wrote:
I'd put one on tomorrow if I could find one with the correct idler pulley!
(3" dia.)
I PM'ed you with some measurements and how they have been working for me for over the last 3+ years.

Author:  FreeJeep [ Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

Just a thought. Make sure it is actually the tensioner pulley making the noise. I had a ticking noise coming from the pulley area just before my water pump failed.

DonC

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/