It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Broken Window Regulator: preventative step. Maybe?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:13 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
My front passenger window has been getting very noisy. Just like the drivers side did before it broke! That cost me $423.25 to get fixed!! At any rate, I opened up the door by removing the inside panel, and ran the widow up and down a couple of times while watching it. The plastic piece runs in the metal track that you see in the middle. It was very dry. I figured I didn't have anything to loose so I added some grease to the inside of the track. I used my finger to put it on. Ran the widow up and down a couple of times............no more noise! It works nice and smooth and quiet now! :D

Terry

Image
Image

Here is the track and plastic thingy.
Image

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:30 pm 
Offline
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 1815
Location: Northern Virginia
you wouldn't happen to have a video of that thing in motion would you?

_________________
Jason
----------
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:31 pm
Posts: 1203
Location: NE Ohio
yea i dont see how that works. what does that white plastic "rod" do that crosses over the track?

_________________
2002 Cactus Green Renegade~OME HD/Rancho
235-85-16 Firestone Destination MT's~Detroit Locker~AL's 4.5 Arms
ARB bumper/Superwinch 9k~PIAA 540 driving lights/PIAA reverse lights~Crane 8.25 diff cover
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:24 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:16 pm
Posts: 1391
Location: Felton, DE
cool, I just pulled the one out of my passenger door and swapped it out for a good one. That plastic slider on the track is of pretty poor quality. On mine the spring on the regulator let go of the plastic slider.

I just now thought to take pictures. dang.

_________________
06 White KJ Sport 4x4 :JEEPIN:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2432458/1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:38 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
RAYMAN975 wrote:
yea i dont see how that works. what does that white plastic "rod" do that crosses over the track?


That doesn't move when using the window. It isn't a plastic rod. It is a plastic coating you see. Don't know for sure what it is, but I think it connects to the part that opens the door.

Terry

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:47 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
No video sorry to say. The window itself sets in a groove on the big white plastic piece. Here is what I THINK happens. The very cheap plastic rides in a groove on that metal track. At the factory they "probably" put some kind of lubricant on the track so the plastic will glide on it. Then their lubricant dries out causing the weak (read cheap!) plastic not to glide smoothly. The sound I heard was the plastic grabbing onto the metal. When it does that.....snap! When I greased it the grabbing stopped and so did the noise.

I don't know if this will stop them from braking but it was worth a try! Time will tell I guess.

Terry

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:43 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
Fulltimer wrote:
No video sorry to say. The window itself sets in a groove on the big white plastic piece. Here is what I THINK happens. The very cheap plastic rides in a groove on that metal track. At the factory they "probably" put some kind of lubricant on the track so the plastic will glide on it. Then their lubricant dries out causing the weak (read cheap!) plastic not to glide smoothly. The sound I heard was the plastic grabbing onto the metal. When it does that.....snap! When I greased it the grabbing stopped and so did the noise.

I don't know if this will stop them from braking but it was worth a try! Time will tell I guess.

Terry


I think you might be on to something. I do remember that the windows were smooth when I first bought the KJ, and now they somewhat shudder (vibrate) when moving the windows up or down. Did the lubricant also make the window roll up and down more smoothly?

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:21 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:54 pm
Posts: 2787
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Fulltimer wrote:
RAYMAN975 wrote:
yea i dont see how that works. what does that white plastic "rod" do that crosses over the track?


That doesn't move when using the window. It isn't a plastic rod. It is a plastic coating you see. Don't know for sure what it is, but I think it connects to the part that opens the door.

Terry

That Plastic tube holds the cable that actually raises and lowers the window.

_________________
- Mike
'12 JK

Jeep Tech Files


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:33 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
Could a thin rubber hose be fitted to work in its place? Would the rubber not let it slide like the plastic or something?

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:29 am 
Delrin, which is what the tube looks and feels like, is a low friction, very hard plastic. I'd say rubber would be a VERY poor choice.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
dieselenthusiast wrote:
Fulltimer wrote:
No video sorry to say. The window itself sets in a groove on the big white plastic piece. Here is what I THINK happens. The very cheap plastic rides in a groove on that metal track. At the factory they "probably" put some kind of lubricant on the track so the plastic will glide on it. Then their lubricant dries out causing the weak (read cheap!) plastic not to glide smoothly. The sound I heard was the plastic grabbing onto the metal. When it does that.....snap! When I greased it the grabbing stopped and so did the noise.

I don't know if this will stop them from braking but it was worth a try! Time will tell I guess.

Terry


I think you might be on to something. I do remember that the windows were smooth when I first bought the KJ, and now they somewhat shudder (vibrate) when moving the windows up or down. Did the lubricant also make the window roll up and down more smoothly?


It made a ton of difference. I still have a little noise when the window is all the way down and it starts to go up. My rear drivers side window is doing the noise thing also so I guess it's next.

Terry

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:31 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:33 am
Posts: 425
Location: British Columbia
Thanks Fulltimer, this is a great write up. What tool did you use to get the door panel off? I think the passenger side front on my mothers KJ is going and I just replaced the passenger rear on mine. I would like to give this a try on hers.

_________________
2006 KJ Sport, Dark Khaki, 3.7 Litre
NSG370 6 Speed Manual Transmission | NP241J Command Trac HD Part Time 4wd | 3.55s | 245/70R16 Firestone Destination A/Ts | Mopar Tow Hooks & Skids | Powerslot Brake Rotors | ARB Rear Differential Cover


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:56 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:55 am
Posts: 2548
Location: VA Beach, VA
Were there any secrets to taking that door panel off? Also...ditto on Khaki-KJ's question: What tool(s) does it require?

Nice picts, thanks for sharing them!

_________________
Image
_______________________DogDomain_______________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:07 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:54 pm
Posts: 2787
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Use a screw driver or if you have a automotive trim tool and pop up a corner and tug. It's held on by about 10 push pins. after you remove, you'll have to disconnect the door handle bracket, and unplug the power locks.

_________________
- Mike
'12 JK

Jeep Tech Files


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:25 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:33 am
Posts: 425
Location: British Columbia
Thanks daspes.

_________________
2006 KJ Sport, Dark Khaki, 3.7 Litre
NSG370 6 Speed Manual Transmission | NP241J Command Trac HD Part Time 4wd | 3.55s | 245/70R16 Firestone Destination A/Ts | Mopar Tow Hooks & Skids | Powerslot Brake Rotors | ARB Rear Differential Cover


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
I did it the old fashion way. A regular old table knife! Nice and thin. Slide it under the panel, move until you hit one of the push pins, lift up just enough to be able to get your fingers under it and gently pull. Then repeat all the way around. Real high tech! :lol:

Terry

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:29 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:33 am
Posts: 425
Location: British Columbia
Fulltimer wrote:
I did it the old fashion way. A regular old table knife! Nice and thin. Slide it under the panel, move until you hit one of the push pins, lift up just enough to be able to get your fingers under it and gently pull. Then repeat all the way around. Real high tech! :lol:

Terry


A table knife, great there goes my excuse to go out and buy more tools. :lol: Thanks for the write up Terry. :D

_________________
2006 KJ Sport, Dark Khaki, 3.7 Litre
NSG370 6 Speed Manual Transmission | NP241J Command Trac HD Part Time 4wd | 3.55s | 245/70R16 Firestone Destination A/Ts | Mopar Tow Hooks & Skids | Powerslot Brake Rotors | ARB Rear Differential Cover


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:56 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Khaki-KJ wrote:
Fulltimer wrote:
I did it the old fashion way. A regular old table knife! Nice and thin. Slide it under the panel, move until you hit one of the push pins, lift up just enough to be able to get your fingers under it and gently pull. Then repeat all the way around. Real high tech! :lol:

Terry


A table knife, great there goes my excuse to go out and buy more tools. :lol: Thanks for the write up Terry. :D


Anything for a fellow Dark Khaki KJ owner! :D

Terry

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com