| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Broken Window Regulator: preventative step. Maybe? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35364 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Fulltimer [ Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Broken Window Regulator: preventative step. Maybe? |
My front passenger window has been getting very noisy. Just like the drivers side did before it broke! That cost me $423.25 to get fixed!! At any rate, I opened up the door by removing the inside panel, and ran the widow up and down a couple of times while watching it. The plastic piece runs in the metal track that you see in the middle. It was very dry. I figured I didn't have anything to loose so I added some grease to the inside of the track. I used my finger to put it on. Ran the widow up and down a couple of times............no more noise! It works nice and smooth and quiet now! Terry
Here is the track and plastic thingy.
|
|
| Author: | DryBones [ Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:30 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
you wouldn't happen to have a video of that thing in motion would you? |
|
| Author: | RAYMAN975 [ Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
yea i dont see how that works. what does that white plastic "rod" do that crosses over the track? |
|
| Author: | Sport [ Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
cool, I just pulled the one out of my passenger door and swapped it out for a good one. That plastic slider on the track is of pretty poor quality. On mine the spring on the regulator let go of the plastic slider. I just now thought to take pictures. dang. |
|
| Author: | Fulltimer [ Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:38 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
RAYMAN975 wrote: yea i dont see how that works. what does that white plastic "rod" do that crosses over the track?
That doesn't move when using the window. It isn't a plastic rod. It is a plastic coating you see. Don't know for sure what it is, but I think it connects to the part that opens the door. Terry |
|
| Author: | Fulltimer [ Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
No video sorry to say. The window itself sets in a groove on the big white plastic piece. Here is what I THINK happens. The very cheap plastic rides in a groove on that metal track. At the factory they "probably" put some kind of lubricant on the track so the plastic will glide on it. Then their lubricant dries out causing the weak (read cheap!) plastic not to glide smoothly. The sound I heard was the plastic grabbing onto the metal. When it does that.....snap! When I greased it the grabbing stopped and so did the noise. I don't know if this will stop them from braking but it was worth a try! Time will tell I guess. Terry |
|
| Author: | dieselenthusiast [ Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:43 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Fulltimer wrote: No video sorry to say. The window itself sets in a groove on the big white plastic piece. Here is what I THINK happens. The very cheap plastic rides in a groove on that metal track. At the factory they "probably" put some kind of lubricant on the track so the plastic will glide on it. Then their lubricant dries out causing the weak (read cheap!) plastic not to glide smoothly. The sound I heard was the plastic grabbing onto the metal. When it does that.....snap! When I greased it the grabbing stopped and so did the noise.
I don't know if this will stop them from braking but it was worth a try! Time will tell I guess. Terry I think you might be on to something. I do remember that the windows were smooth when I first bought the KJ, and now they somewhat shudder (vibrate) when moving the windows up or down. Did the lubricant also make the window roll up and down more smoothly? |
|
| Author: | daspes [ Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:21 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Fulltimer wrote: RAYMAN975 wrote: yea i dont see how that works. what does that white plastic "rod" do that crosses over the track? That doesn't move when using the window. It isn't a plastic rod. It is a plastic coating you see. Don't know for sure what it is, but I think it connects to the part that opens the door. Terry That Plastic tube holds the cable that actually raises and lowers the window. |
|
| Author: | Inc [ Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:33 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Could a thin rubber hose be fitted to work in its place? Would the rubber not let it slide like the plastic or something? |
|
| Author: | Guest [ Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:29 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Delrin, which is what the tube looks and feels like, is a low friction, very hard plastic. I'd say rubber would be a VERY poor choice. |
|
| Author: | Fulltimer [ Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
dieselenthusiast wrote: Fulltimer wrote: No video sorry to say. The window itself sets in a groove on the big white plastic piece. Here is what I THINK happens. The very cheap plastic rides in a groove on that metal track. At the factory they "probably" put some kind of lubricant on the track so the plastic will glide on it. Then their lubricant dries out causing the weak (read cheap!) plastic not to glide smoothly. The sound I heard was the plastic grabbing onto the metal. When it does that.....snap! When I greased it the grabbing stopped and so did the noise. I don't know if this will stop them from braking but it was worth a try! Time will tell I guess. Terry I think you might be on to something. I do remember that the windows were smooth when I first bought the KJ, and now they somewhat shudder (vibrate) when moving the windows up or down. Did the lubricant also make the window roll up and down more smoothly? It made a ton of difference. I still have a little noise when the window is all the way down and it starts to go up. My rear drivers side window is doing the noise thing also so I guess it's next. Terry |
|
| Author: | Khaki-KJ [ Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Thanks Fulltimer, this is a great write up. What tool did you use to get the door panel off? I think the passenger side front on my mothers KJ is going and I just replaced the passenger rear on mine. I would like to give this a try on hers. |
|
| Author: | dog_party [ Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:56 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Were there any secrets to taking that door panel off? Also...ditto on Khaki-KJ's question: What tool(s) does it require? Nice picts, thanks for sharing them! |
|
| Author: | daspes [ Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:07 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Use a screw driver or if you have a automotive trim tool and pop up a corner and tug. It's held on by about 10 push pins. after you remove, you'll have to disconnect the door handle bracket, and unplug the power locks. |
|
| Author: | Khaki-KJ [ Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:25 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Thanks daspes. |
|
| Author: | Fulltimer [ Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I did it the old fashion way. A regular old table knife! Nice and thin. Slide it under the panel, move until you hit one of the push pins, lift up just enough to be able to get your fingers under it and gently pull. Then repeat all the way around. Real high tech! Terry |
|
| Author: | Khaki-KJ [ Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:29 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Fulltimer wrote: I did it the old fashion way. A regular old table knife! Nice and thin. Slide it under the panel, move until you hit one of the push pins, lift up just enough to be able to get your fingers under it and gently pull. Then repeat all the way around. Real high tech!
Terry A table knife, great there goes my excuse to go out and buy more tools. |
|
| Author: | Fulltimer [ Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:56 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Khaki-KJ wrote: Fulltimer wrote: I did it the old fashion way. A regular old table knife! Nice and thin. Slide it under the panel, move until you hit one of the push pins, lift up just enough to be able to get your fingers under it and gently pull. Then repeat all the way around. Real high tech! Terry A table knife, great there goes my excuse to go out and buy more tools. Anything for a fellow Dark Khaki KJ owner! Terry |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|