It is currently Sun Oct 11, 2026 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Upper Balljoint Failure
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:25 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:48 am
Posts: 1348
Location: Arlington, MA
It's been awhile since I've posted.....I just had my upper balljoint give out on me. Thankfully it was in a parking lot and not a highway. I'm ok, I had to have the jeep towed, of course. We'll see if they want to cover it under warranty or if they will blame my lift for it.

_________________
Jeff 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade
4x4, 6spd, Leather, Sunroof, trak-loc, skids/rails, hitch+shackle, hooks, Alpine/iPod, Thule, GPS, CB, Frankenlifted w/ 31" MTRs
Photos Cardomain


Last edited by Se7enLC on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:03 am 
"... under warranty or if they will blame my life for it."

i think you mean lift. Your life can't be that bad! :lol:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:54 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:48 am
Posts: 1348
Location: Arlington, MA
icarl wrote:
"... under warranty or if they will blame my life for it."

i think you mean lift. Your life can't be that bad! :lol:


LOL

Yeah, looks like I was a bit tired when I wrote that

_________________
Jeff 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade
4x4, 6spd, Leather, Sunroof, trak-loc, skids/rails, hitch+shackle, hooks, Alpine/iPod, Thule, GPS, CB, Frankenlifted w/ 31" MTRs
Photos Cardomain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:48 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:11 am
Posts: 824
Location: Castle Rock, Colorado
Despite what I personally think is right, they won't cover it, I guarantee it unless you get a cool/nice dealership service manager, like they all should be while the clear majority are not. Good luck, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the chances are against you. Get JBA 4.5s, do some grinding, and be over with it.

_________________
2003 Limited, Silver - L.O.S.T. # 068957 Rockies
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2127390/14
2006 Kawasaki KLR650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:03 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:31 am
Posts: 1979
Location: Lower NY
You could try pointing out that the uppers are currently under investigation by the NHSTA (or whatever)......

_________________
My pics!!
'03 Rennie w/all Tupperware
Custom Roof Basket
Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:42 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:48 am
Posts: 1348
Location: Arlington, MA
I just don't get it....

I've had SOOO many things NOT covered under warranty. Things that SHOULD be. LIke my power steering lines, my wheel bearings, my U JOINTS even failed, and they wouldn't cover any of them...

But they are covering the balljoint under warranty!

I am basically CERTAIN that the lift caused the premature failure....but if they are covering it, I am not going to stop them. I mentioned that I wanted to replace the balljoints and control arms, but they said that warranty won't cover those, so I would have to have this repair done first anyway, if I wanted any warranty coverage.

I think I will wait until the warranty is running out before replacing the control arms, but I now believe that it is a required item.

_________________
Jeff 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade
4x4, 6spd, Leather, Sunroof, trak-loc, skids/rails, hitch+shackle, hooks, Alpine/iPod, Thule, GPS, CB, Frankenlifted w/ 31" MTRs
Photos Cardomain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:11 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:12 pm
Posts: 589
Location: Tempe, AZ
First, glad it was in the parking lot. Second, it's no surprise really given your set-up. Be thankful they lasted that long! I went through 2 1/2 sets of stock uppers before I got my first set of Al's.

TL

_________________
95 YJ 2.5" RE lift and 32's, Posi-Lock, 4.10's with a Tru-Trac up front, M8000 winch, CB, gear and what have you...
RIP: 02 KJ LE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:35 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:46 pm
Posts: 1251
Location: Sparta
Se7enLC wrote:
I mentioned that I wanted to replace the balljoints and control arms, but they said that warranty won't cover those,


Warranty won't cover what? The control arms? The ball joints?

_________________
WWW.ROCKLIZARDFABRICATIONS.COM

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:46 pm 
Offline
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:51 pm
Posts: 2202
Location: Fall River,MA
my uppers were coverd under extended warrenty ?????

with my lift :?

_________________
PETE
ADMINISTRATOR
L.O.S.T. 4 LIFE
04 COLUMBIA ED. & 04 SPORT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:54 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:48 am
Posts: 1348
Location: Arlington, MA
Rock Lizard wrote:
Se7enLC wrote:
I mentioned that I wanted to replace the balljoints and control arms, but they said that warranty won't cover those,


Warranty won't cover what? The control arms? The ball joints?


Sorry, I meant to say that I wanted to replace the balljoints and control arms with aftermarket (al's). Warranty won't cover non-stock parts, of course, even though they are less likely to fail. When these ones start to wear out again, I'll do the replacement UCAs. I don't do much wheeling anymore, and I'll try to take the speed tables a little slower to prevent spring contact :-P

_________________
Jeff 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade
4x4, 6spd, Leather, Sunroof, trak-loc, skids/rails, hitch+shackle, hooks, Alpine/iPod, Thule, GPS, CB, Frankenlifted w/ 31" MTRs
Photos Cardomain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:33 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
If the warranty doesn't cover it, now is a good time to replace them with Al's Upper A-arms. You cannot replace the ball joint in the stock UCA without replacing the entire control arm.

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com