| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| LCA Bushings? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35526 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Prospect62 [ Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:19 pm ] |
| Post subject: | LCA Bushings? |
Hey guys...I went in for an alignment yesterday and my guy said the bolts that hold my lower control arms are frozen in the bushings and that I would need to take the Jeep to the dealer, have them cut off the old bolts and replace the bushings and put new bolts in...then I could finish the alignment. Is this a common thing? For some reason I never saw it discussed before, I don't think. About how much does this job probably run? |
|
| Author: | raceinfan [ Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
with the way winters are here & the amount wheelin you may do, it would/will happen, I'm up in MA so I experiance the same here as you do in NY I had both lower arms replaced last year under warrenty, due to ALL the bushings were shot my wifes will be soon & she doesn't even wheel hers, but her's are in rough shape also |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:52 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: LCA Bushings? |
Prospect62 wrote: Hey guys...I went in for an alignment yesterday and my guy said the bolts that hold my lower control arms are frozen in the bushings and that I would need to take the Jeep to the dealer, have them cut off the old bolts and replace the bushings and put new bolts in...then I could finish the alignment. get a can of PB Blaster and onec in the morning and once at night soak the bushing area real good with the PB Blaster.After a few days they will un-freeze themself.Don't be shy with the PB Blaster either,one can should be enough for one days worth of spraying.After a few days of soaking take the nuts of(or loosen them so the nut has about 1/4" from the cradle) and hit the end of the bolt with a air hammer with a blunt tip attachment,works everytime(I just did all the bushings on a '78 vette and PB Blaster and my air hammer were the most used tool).
Is this a common thing? For some reason I never saw it discussed before, I don't think. About how much does this job probably run? |
|
| Author: | Prospect62 [ Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:54 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Cool, thanks tjkj. Reminds me of the old days of trying to get old bushings out of leaf spring eyes. No bigger pain in the rear for the DIY mechanic... |
|
| Author: | Prospect62 [ Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:34 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Raceinfan, how did you get this done under warranty? Do you have the extended warranty? Will the dealer just change the bushings or are they going to try to sell me new arms, too? I'm not going to do this myself...I've had that front end apart and back together about 60 million times in one year. I'm just not doing it again. If the dealer wants to charge me for new lower arms, screw it...it stays the way it is. |
|
| Author: | dirtykj [ Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:27 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
PB Blaster != Peanut Butter Blaster, is it? I can never tell around here ... |
|
| Author: | Guest [ Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:24 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
PB Blaster=IT CLIMBS THE THREADS! Troy, had a similar experiance with a '73 Vette a few months ago. Couldn't get the nuts off the rear so i could re-shim it...soaked it in PB...he came back two days later, and bam, she came right apart. God bless PB Blaster, and F WD40 |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|