| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| sticking calipers! http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35528 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Hood297 [ Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:04 pm ] |
| Post subject: | sticking calipers! |
ok so on my way home I noticed a weird smell, didn't think much about it. Then when I stopped at a red light I noticed smoke, and started looking around. I then realized it was me and immediately pulled off the road and shut the engine off. Got out and the Rear Passenger brakes were smoking, and obviously extremely hot. So i let it cool off and took the cap off the reservoir to release the pressure. And had no other choice than to drive about 14 miles back home. It never smoked again because i took it easy on the brakes as much as possible. SO Why is it doing this? HOW do i fix it? HOW can i prevent this from happening again? I know this has been covered before. And what really makes this bother me is that last night i was driving my friend and I's project K10 and the same thing happened on the front! last night!! |
|
| Author: | jeepkj02 [ Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:38 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
It's the calipers, something with the springs inside. Buy a remaned one from NAPA. |
|
| Author: | Hood297 [ Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
so I just replace it? whats going to keep this from happening again? are there any better alternatives? |
|
| Author: | jeepkj02 [ Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:25 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Not too familiar with the subject because I have drums in the back. I believe Jeepster replaced it with remaned ones and he hasn't had any problems. |
|
| Author: | k99jk99j [ Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:01 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
i replaced mine with cardone remans! so far they are working great! |
|
| Author: | JNJ-Z [ Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:49 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
i replaced both of mine, its a common problem with the kj, havent had any problems since,just go to napa |
|
| Author: | bugnout [ Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:56 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Right rear went out of me, replaced it with a new mopar caliper, no problems in the last 40,000 miles. |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:03 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Just go to NAPA or a good parts store and get a reman one, easy to replace, also there are no springs inside of one , it just happens sometimes, due to rust, dirt, etc getting into the system, its not just on KJs have seen on a number of different vehicles over the years |
|
| Author: | KW AV8R [ Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:32 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
My wife took my Jeep to have my brakes checked last month or so (scheduled maintenance) and was told the calipers were sticking and needed to be replaced. tjkj2002 (Troy) was kind enough to take over at this point and flushed my whole brake system. He said there were chunks of cr@p in the lines that came out during the flush. Since then we haven't had any problems . I'm not saying this will solve your problem, just something you might want to try before replacing the caliper. |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
jeepkj02 wrote: Not too familiar with the subject because I have drums in the back. I believe Jeepster replaced it with remaned ones and he hasn't had any problems.
Yea, last summer I replaced the RR caliper with a Napa caliper and its been fine since(around a year). It was only $65 or so for the caliper so its not a major repair if you do it yourself. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|