LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Question On 2005 KJ Grill
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35775
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Fulltimer [ Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Question On 2005 KJ Grill

I have the Limited with the chrome grill. There are 2 pop up clips, one above each headlight. They aren't a problem. In between the headlights are 4 other clips that look like the grill must be pushed in towards the radiator to get them off. That doesn't work even if rocking the jeep from pushing so hard. How do I get the blasted grill off?

Terry

Author:  Inc [ Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

On my 2005 all I have are the 4 top clips, and then the bottom ones aren't clips but pieces that stick out on the grill that slide into place at an angle and keep the bottom from moving around. I have a renny though and not a limited. Not sure what the deal is with yours. Someone will know for sure though.

Author:  Dje Ryu [ Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

My ltd just has the 4 clips that lift up and out on the top, as well. The 1st time I took it off was not easy, but now I can have it off in a few seconds. I used a short (about 3" total length with handle) flat screwdriver. #2 size. I couldn't get the center 2 clips after popping the outer 2 the first time I took it off, either. Start with the center clips.

Not sure what to say if you have 6 clips, though. :?

Author:  Fulltimer [ Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

The center ones are like the letter "J", with the short piece comming back at you. It hooks onto another piece. So, it won't lift up unless it goes forward first. I must be missing something that I just can't see.

Terry

Author:  Inc [ Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

get some pics.

Author:  Fulltimer [ Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

See the white tag (rectangle), one of the clips is just above it. Yucky picture I know. The clip hooks onto the black piece.

EDIT: this is the chrome grill. The chrome shows up as dark black (night photo). The clip goes towards the radiator, down then back towards the front.

Terry
Image

Author:  Inc [ Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

Man, that is weird. My top 4 clips pop off and the grill leans back and then kind of slides out. No other clips. I am at a loss. Sorry.

Author:  Dje Ryu [ Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:13 am ]
Post subject: 

daytime pic front angle? Might help. Kinda looks like you might need to slide a screwdriver into a slot from the front and pry up but, it's hard to tell much from that pic.

Author:  Fulltimer [ Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:35 am ]
Post subject: 

Here is a close-up of one of the clips. I tried to pry up one and it started to crack.

Terry
Image

Author:  Inc [ Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:07 am ]
Post subject: 

Those clips on mine are easy to get off. I just put my hand over it, squeezed and lifted up. Pinched a finger once or twice but it came off real easy.

Author:  WoodysKJ [ Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:48 am ]
Post subject: 

First release the clip over the passenger side headlight, GENTLY as this can scratch the fender area right next to it. Then Grab the grille and the black piece it is attached to and squeeze then together in your left hand above the clip. Using the other hand as you squeeze, slide a flat bladed screw driver UNDER the chrome clip piece of the grille (wedging between the grille and the black mount). Release the squeezing hand.

As you squeeze it may cause the one you just got undone to re-catch. This is the frustrating part of it. Two large screw drivers are helpful as you go to un-secure the second one on that side, slide the second screw driver under the first one as a wedge so to prevent it from popping back into place as you squeeze the next one. Then switch to the other side. As you get the other side's first one done they will be less likely to re-catch.

DON"T stab your hand with the screw driver. It hurts and ruins your day.

Author:  jeepkj02 [ Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

My 2002 grille is held on by 4 torx screws. I can take it off in about 30 seconds.

Author:  bugnout [ Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

incubusmike wrote:
Those clips on mine are easy to get off. I just put my hand over it, squeezed and lifted up. Pinched a finger once or twice but it came off real easy.


My experience as well. I did use a screw driver the first time, but its plastic, and I was worried about breaking it. I always unhook the latches over the light buckets first then push in and pull up at the same time on each of the j hooks.

Author:  WoodysKJ [ Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

The J hooks on my 07 chrome grille were a witch to get loose.

The black sport grille i replaced it with is much easier. Just depends on the grille I guess.

ONLY other warning is to be VERY careful if you ever try to do this in COLD temps as the plastic is more brittle then.

Author:  Fulltimer [ Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks guys! I think I'll take the dremel and cut the hook of and put a stainless steel screw in. Then I won't have that problem again!

Terry

Author:  WoodysKJ [ Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:16 am ]
Post subject: 

Fulltimer wrote:
Thanks guys! I think I'll take the dremel and cut the hook of and put a stainless steel screw in. Then I won't have that problem again!

Terry


That always looks good to the dealership when you return for a warantee issue. If that is not an issue then why not. seams a bit extreme but what the hell.....

Author:  Fulltimer [ Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:20 am ]
Post subject: 

WoodysKJ wrote:
Fulltimer wrote:
Thanks guys! I think I'll take the dremel and cut the hook of and put a stainless steel screw in. Then I won't have that problem again!

Terry


That always looks good to the dealership when you return for a warantee issue. If that is not an issue then why not. seams a bit extreme but what the hell.....


Not really. I already cracked one of them so now I won't crack/break anymore.

Terry

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/