| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| The rear axle is making noise.... :( http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35802 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | swyszomirski [ Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:30 pm ] |
| Post subject: | The rear axle is making noise.... :( |
So, over the summer the rear axle began making a creaking noise that is pretty loud. I think the U-joint could be toast because of the Hollister mud pit and the water hole + the cleaning/ hosing I do after. Anyone had this problem? Any replaced the U-Joint with one that had a Zerk on it? I looked at it last night and there is oil seeping out from under the cap. Also, how hard is it to drop the drive shaft? looks like I have to have a special tool to remove the C style clips? Stephen |
|
| Author: | jeepkj02 [ Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:04 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: The rear axle is making noise.... :( |
swyszomirski wrote: So, over the summer the rear axle began making a creaking noise that is pretty loud. I think the U-joint could be toast because of the Hollister mud pit and the water hole + the cleaning/ hosing I do after. Anyone had this problem? Any replaced the U-Joint with one that had a Zerk on it? I looked at it last night and there is oil seeping out from under the cap. Also, how hard is it to drop the drive shaft? looks like I have to have a special tool to remove the C style clips?
Stephen Did you check the fluid after you went through the water. Some water could have gotten in. I change my rear u-joint with a Duralast unit with a zerk on it. Not hard to do. Need a vise or a press and a hammer and socket. I replaced the metal clamps on the t-case end with heavy duty zip ties. |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
mine went at 50,000 miles , easy to replace, go to NAPA or other GOOD parts store, if its squeaking then more than likely thats what it is |
|
| Author: | jason thompson [ Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:26 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: The rear axle is making noise.... :( |
jeepkj02 wrote: I replaced the metal clamps on the t-case end with heavy duty zip ties.
Tell me you replaced the strap and screw style with a U-bolt style now if you are talking about the strap that holds the boot over the slip joint then that is fine in fact that is good but hose clamps work better |
|
| Author: | swyszomirski [ Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:37 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
So I disconnected the drive shaft from the rear axle and checked the U joints. They are fine, so I am thinking it might be a bad bushing? Maybe from the yoke? I am bummed because the U joints are the easiest to replace Stephen |
|
| Author: | jeepkj02 [ Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:51 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: The rear axle is making noise.... :( |
jason thompson wrote: jeepkj02 wrote: I replaced the metal clamps on the t-case end with heavy duty zip ties. Tell me you replaced the strap and screw style with a U-bolt style now if you are talking about the strap that holds the boot over the slip joint then that is fine in fact that is good but hose clamps work better Yeah, I was talking about the boot on the t-case. That would be crazy to hold a u-joint in with a zip tie, not even sure it would hold for even one revolution. Haven't had any issues with the zip ties. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|