LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Horn suddenly started honking
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36241
Page 1 of 1

Author:  dog_party [ Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Horn suddenly started honking

Weird. My wife has the Jeep today. She calls me up and says, "The horn just started honking and it won't stop." I could hear it in the background and it was a continuous blare, not the warble of the "security" system. But we went through the normal drills of hitting the panic button on the fob, hitting the unlock button on the fob, starting the truck up, hitting the horn, etc., etc., etc. Nothing worked. The horn would not stop honking.

Finally just had to disconnet the stupid thing. Then the hazard lights started flashing and the key fob wouldn't unlock the doors. She unlocked it manually, which we, surprisingly, CAN still do. She started it up and everything started working fine (except the horn, which is now disconnected).

It has been a real monsoon here today. In fact, we have had more rain and stronger winds today than we did when the last hurricane went over us. Had the windows down some and I'm sure a bit of rain got on the door, but nothing outrageous.

Does anyone have any insight or ideas why the horn might have suddenly decided that it wanted to PO everyone around where my wife works?

Author:  swyszomirski [ Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

well either the water shorted som'in or the clock spring in the steering wheel shorted.... did you pull any codes?

Stephen

Author:  Dje Ryu [ Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hook the horn back up, everything should be fine. How old is the battery?

Author:  Guest [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:58 am ]
Post subject: 

It's an optima, so it should be good.

I had a redtop for 7 years. it was in 4 different vehicles, and fell out of my CJ7 and got run over by a Chevy K10 on 40s, laid against a serpentine belt when the bolt pulled out of the battery tray in my T-bird, and started my Isuzu Trooper for 2 1/2 years.

I seriously doubt it's the battery.

Author:  dog_party [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:52 am ]
Post subject: 

No codes at all.

My battery isn't a Redtop. I know the CRDs were supposed to come with them, but mine did not. I assume someone snagged it out either at the dealer, or in transit. Either that or I got one that made it through production with the wrong battery. It is, however, age of truck. Made in May of 05.

I am going to hook the horn back up this weekend and see what happens.

Author:  ATXKJ [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:14 am ]
Post subject: 

The stock Redtops - are a custom for Chrysler - they don't have as much reserve as the regular ones - several folks had them die early.

don't forget to check the Key fob battery - caused me several alarms early in the morning before I figured it out.

Author:  dog_party [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:36 am ]
Post subject: 

ATXKJ wrote:
The stock Redtops - are a custom for Chrysler - they don't have as much reserve as the regular ones - several folks had them die early.

don't forget to check the Key fob battery - caused me several alarms early in the morning before I figured it out.


Good idea. I'll check that. Anyone think a bad key fob battery could have set the horn off like that though? It wasn't the alarm sound horn, it was like someone was leaning on the horn from inside the truck. Just stuck "open."

Author:  ATXKJ [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

no - my horn honking was the 'alarm' mode - not constant.

Author:  jeepkj02 [ Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

My manual says to check the horn relay which is located in the Junction block or the horn switch built into the air bag system.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/