It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Shift Kit
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:20 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:17 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reading back to last year it looks like some here have added a Transgo shift kit to their 42RLE tranny. I cannot find our kit listed on their site. Is it still available? What is your experience with the kit after 1 year of use? Is it something I could install myself?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:51 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Pretty sure they still sell it but youve got to call.

From what I read the changes it makes are not really noticable.

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: long post but worth reading IMO
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:22 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
I had the Transgo Shift Kit installed back in early 2007. The kit is known as a “correction kit” and isn’t anything fancy. 90% of the kit can be installed in the valve body. There is one spacer plate that needs to be installed when the transmission is out. However, the directions clearly state that the spacer plate does not need to be installed to make the shift kit work, however, the additional plate is recommended for the added benefits. With the stronger (tighter) springs, the Jeep does shift tighter than with the factory springs. Those of you who have the 42RLE probably know what I’m talking about. You can feel the delay in-between the shifts. With the “correction kit”, I do not feel the lag time in-between shifts like I did before. Shift Kits are designed to make the transmission more efficient, and by doing so, the upgrade also prolongs the life of the transmission. In many cases, the Transgo shift kits also expand the hole allowing the Torque Converter to fill up with trany fluid much quicker. The TransGo shift kit for the 42RLE does not open up the hole going into the TC like it does on my Dodge Cummins. The engineers at TransGo saw that the weakest link in the 42RLE was not the transmission, but the Torque Converter itself. TransGo teamed up with a high performance Transmission shop and decided that the 42RLE needed a better TC. According to TransGo and several of their engineers, they discovered that the 42RLE is actually a pretty good transmission with the upgraded TC. Once you upgrade the correction kit and add the aftermarket TC, then you have a pretty solid trany that should last well over 200,000 miles depending on how you drive it, how often you change the fluids, and the type of fluids you use. Heat is the toughest enemy on a transmission. I would recommend changing your Transmission fluid at least every 30,000 miles with Amsoil ATF. In my opinion, the TransGo correction kit for the 42RLE is worth the upgrade. Especially for those of you who are towing or loaded with armor, the vehicle will do better on the road and out on the trail. Adding the upgraded TC in addition to the shift kit will significantly make a difference by increasing mpg, lower transmission temperatures, increase the performance (more efficient power transfer), and prolong the life of the transmission. It seems like frivolous spending at first, but the upgrades do make the Jeep more enjoyable. For those of you who are interested, you can buy the TC and shift kit from Wayne.

Wayne at APS Precision
Mobile: (408) 205-8500
Office: (408) 374-1217

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:50 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
bump

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:17 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Thanks for all the input, will look at getting one next year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:34 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
Thats an awesome tid bit of info dieselenthusiast, thanks for posting that.

Ive always heard the 42rle was a pretty good tranny but I didnt know the TC was the weakest link.. thats something to look into. :)

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:09 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
Jeepjeepster wrote:
Thats an awesome tid bit of info dieselenthusiast, thanks for posting that.

Ive always heard the 42rle was a pretty good tranny but I didnt know the TC was the weakest link.. thats something to look into. :)


Exactly, and now that I will be towing, I am looking more into the idea. I'll keep you posted when that times comes. :D

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:47 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:46 pm
Posts: 1195
The TC will help a lot. The stock TC for the 42RLE is a real piece of s$@!. Talk to Wayne about your specific needs and they will build you what you need. If you really want to change the way your KJ performs, do the shift kit, TC, and B&G. It will drive like a completely different vehicle. If you have larger than stock tires, go to the 4.10's. All these upgrades are a little expensive, but if you're keeping the KJ they are really worth it. Friends of mine with stock KJ's can't believe how much better mine performs than their's, and mine is lifted with bigger, heavier tires.

_________________
June 2001 Liberty Limited 4X4
Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:18 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
KY Liberty, what’s actually involved when doing the B&G? I guess I’m scared to mess with my factory settings. :oops: Like most automotive computer upgrades (chips, modules, and tuners), I don’t want to overload my engine or cause it to prematurely wear out due to cranking up the high output. I need to feel warm and fuzzy about a modification before making a decision to go through with it. TC upgrade, “YES” I feel warm and fuzzy. 4:10’s upgrade, “YES” I feel warm and fuzzy. But B&G upgrade………………, I’m not feeling so warm and fuzzy, but mainly because I don’t know enough about it.

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:45 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:46 pm
Posts: 1195
The B&G flash is well within what the engine can handle. Mine blew with minor damage after a year of 75-100 hp N2O shots, followed by a tuning mistake. The 2nd motor has over 3 years and 35k miles on it with the B&G with no problems.

The best way to get the B&G is to get another ECU. Go to a good dealership with it and get it installed, the VIN written to it, and take both your keys so they can be programmed to it. Drive it for a couple weeks for it to program everything. Then swap it for the stock and send the new ECU to B&G. When you get it back, swap it back in. Now you have the B&G, and still have your stock ECU if you need it. If you like the way the shift kit and TC helped, you really like the B&G flash added to it. Really helps wake it up.

_________________
June 2001 Liberty Limited 4X4
Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:02 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:54 am
Posts: 5827
Location: 7,000 feet, Zuni Mountains, New Mexico
KY Liberty, what kind of highway mileage are you getting with your B&G, lift, 4:10’s, and larger tires?

_________________
2015 Ram Ecodiesel/Big Horn/4x4/Quad Cab
2016 Arctic Fox 22G/Onboard 2500 LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:24 am 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:46 pm
Posts: 1195
dieselenthusiast wrote:
KY Liberty, what kind of highway mileage are you getting with your B&G, lift, 4:10’s, and larger tires?


Varies a lot. Depends on speed, temperature, and amount of hills. For example, if I'm going about 60-65 mph, drafting a big truck, I can get about 24-26 mpg. If I'm doing 70-75 mph out in the open I get more like 16 mpg. About 50-55 mph gives me around 20 mpg on flat open ground. Going up some hills I'm down around 14 mpg or even less. I guess the best way to answer would be a little less mpg than when it was stock. My highway numbers are going to be different than yours because of the difference in OD ratios between the 42RLE and 45RFE also.

_________________
June 2001 Liberty Limited 4X4
Frankenlift II Premium, Al's Upper Arms, 245/75R16 C Silent Armors on Moabs, RL Skink Super Sliders, Rear DTT, Riddler Diff Cover, Fastman Throttle Body, Profinish-Proglass Hood, Borla Dual Outlet Exhaust, TransGo Reprogramming Kit, APS Stall Converter, 4.10 Gears, B&G Chrysler PCM, Lots of Line-X, etc...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com