LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Loose Lifter????????
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36660
Page 1 of 1

Author:  jeepkj02 [ Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Loose Lifter????????

So today I was driving down the freeway, and all of the sudden it started make a loud noise coming from the engine....like a clank...clank...

Few days ago, I changed out the Fram filter with a Purolator. The oil only had about 1500 miles on it (Valvoline SYNPOWER). Didn't have any oil, so I put about some Marvel mystery oil in the filter. The noise only happen at about 50-70+ mph.

Ideas?????????? Thinking it might be a loose lifter. Maybe the MMO cleaned out some sludge and a lifter came loose.

Author:  tommudd [ Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

only happening at those speeds? any other noise, loss of power, missing, how long did it last

Author:  jeepkj02 [ Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

I did notice a lack of power. Doesn't want to go over 2500rpm.

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

What made you want to change out the fram at 1,500 miles?

I take it you checked the oil after changing the filter?

How does it idle?

Author:  jeepkj02 [ Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jeepjeepster wrote:
What made you want to change out the fram at 1,500 miles?

I take it you checked the oil after changing the filter?

How does it idle?


No problem with the idle. Oil level is good. I wanted to change the oil but it only had 1500 miles on it. I have 10W30 in there right now. So I just changed the filter. No oil pressure problems. Was going to change the oil to 5W30 see if it helps.

Author:  jeepkj02 [ Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

Not hearing it as much now. I'll drive it tommorow morning, see if it acts up again. Going to change the oil....should I put conventional or conventional blend instead of full syn??

Author:  tommudd [ Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

jeepkj02 wrote:
Not hearing it as much now. I'll drive it tommorow morning, see if it acts up again. Going to change the oil....should I put conventional or conventional blend instead of full syn??


been running mine with full syn forever so if thats what you have been running I would not change it now

Author:  InCommando [ Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

Amsoil made my 3.7L quieter.

Author:  DryBones [ Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

change the oil. Get that mystery oil out of there and go all fresh new oil to see what happens.

Author:  jeepkj02 [ Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Should I change the filter also???

Author:  Khaki-KJ [ Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

jeepkj02 wrote:
Should I change the filter also???

Yes. Cheap insurance. Also stick with synthetic oil if that is what you have been running. If the engine was running fine on the origional oil before the mystery oil and new filter then I would go back to that oil and the prior filter and see if things go back to normal. No sense in adding unknowns into the problem by going to another oil and filter. You can always change to a better oil and filter later if that is what you want to do.

Author:  LIV42DY [ Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Change the oil and the filter, I have been using Mobil1 10-30 full syn since it was born, do what you can to never add any additives to the oil. Frequent oil changes will keep the oil clean and all you lube ports in good shape , also be cautious of oil filters some restrict the oil flow and may cause a slight oil preassure loss to vital parts. If the noise continues do what you can to diadnose, where its coming from, upper or lower engine. also pay close attention to the density of the noise, the upper portion of the block... timing chain, rods, lifters, blancer, rockers, the lower end could get a bit more complicated. Is it louder when its cold? does it minimize or go away when the engine raches normal operating temp?.
first give the new oil and filter a shot. If it dosent go away, I ll give you a few more diag tips. good luck.

Author:  jeepkj02 [ Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I found the problem!! Since I don't have a bumper cover on right now, the inner fender was rubbing on the tires and the fog light door was sticking out towards the tires making the noise!! Don't know how I missed that one!! :roll: I'll take a picture and post it....I guess I got some cutting to do!! :twisted:

Author:  jeepkj02 [ Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

Image

Image

Author:  tommudd [ Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

I don't know if I should laugh at you or with you :lol: :lol: :lol: at least it was nothing major !!! Good find

Author:  jeepkj02 [ Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

tommudd wrote:
I don't know if I should laugh at you or with you :lol: :lol: :lol: at least it was nothing major !!! Good find


yeah, nothing serious...my inner tire sidewall got scraped up a bit..thats all.

Author:  tommudd [ Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

jeepkj02 wrote:
tommudd wrote:
I don't know if I should laugh at you or with you :lol: :lol: :lol: at least it was nothing major !!! Good find


yeah, nothing serious...my inner tire sidewall got scraped up a bit..thats all.


Oh anything about the "little side project " :wink: with Clint yet?? just wondering??!!!! Also off subject again, but did you get his LEDs to work? I got one and it doesn't work ????

Author:  jeepkj02 [ Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Tom, PM sent!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/