It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Loose Lifter????????
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:12 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
So today I was driving down the freeway, and all of the sudden it started make a loud noise coming from the engine....like a clank...clank...

Few days ago, I changed out the Fram filter with a Purolator. The oil only had about 1500 miles on it (Valvoline SYNPOWER). Didn't have any oil, so I put about some Marvel mystery oil in the filter. The noise only happen at about 50-70+ mph.

Ideas?????????? Thinking it might be a loose lifter. Maybe the MMO cleaned out some sludge and a lifter came loose.

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:29 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
only happening at those speeds? any other noise, loss of power, missing, how long did it last

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:45 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
I did notice a lack of power. Doesn't want to go over 2500rpm.

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:26 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 8052
Location: Kentuckeeee
What made you want to change out the fram at 1,500 miles?

I take it you checked the oil after changing the filter?

How does it idle?

_________________
LOST KJ'S
Where are you going???
Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty
-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:29 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Jeepjeepster wrote:
What made you want to change out the fram at 1,500 miles?

I take it you checked the oil after changing the filter?

How does it idle?


No problem with the idle. Oil level is good. I wanted to change the oil but it only had 1500 miles on it. I have 10W30 in there right now. So I just changed the filter. No oil pressure problems. Was going to change the oil to 5W30 see if it helps.

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:15 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Not hearing it as much now. I'll drive it tommorow morning, see if it acts up again. Going to change the oil....should I put conventional or conventional blend instead of full syn??

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
jeepkj02 wrote:
Not hearing it as much now. I'll drive it tommorow morning, see if it acts up again. Going to change the oil....should I put conventional or conventional blend instead of full syn??


been running mine with full syn forever so if thats what you have been running I would not change it now

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:33 pm 
Offline
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:40 pm
Posts: 2353
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Amsoil made my 3.7L quieter.

_________________
LOST # 633
'05 KJ 3.7L/6spd/241 245/75/16 MT's
'88 MJ 4.0L/AW4/231 SWB HPD30 & trac-loc D44 w/3.73's
A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:16 pm 
Offline
Jeep-O-Caching
Jeep-O-Caching
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 am
Posts: 1815
Location: Northern Virginia
change the oil. Get that mystery oil out of there and go all fresh new oil to see what happens.

_________________
Jason
----------
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:23 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Should I change the filter also???

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:40 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:33 am
Posts: 425
Location: British Columbia
jeepkj02 wrote:
Should I change the filter also???

Yes. Cheap insurance. Also stick with synthetic oil if that is what you have been running. If the engine was running fine on the origional oil before the mystery oil and new filter then I would go back to that oil and the prior filter and see if things go back to normal. No sense in adding unknowns into the problem by going to another oil and filter. You can always change to a better oil and filter later if that is what you want to do.

_________________
2006 KJ Sport, Dark Khaki, 3.7 Litre
NSG370 6 Speed Manual Transmission | NP241J Command Trac HD Part Time 4wd | 3.55s | 245/70R16 Firestone Destination A/Ts | Mopar Tow Hooks & Skids | Powerslot Brake Rotors | ARB Rear Differential Cover


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:40 pm
Posts: 630
Location: Southern New Jersey
Change the oil and the filter, I have been using Mobil1 10-30 full syn since it was born, do what you can to never add any additives to the oil. Frequent oil changes will keep the oil clean and all you lube ports in good shape , also be cautious of oil filters some restrict the oil flow and may cause a slight oil preassure loss to vital parts. If the noise continues do what you can to diadnose, where its coming from, upper or lower engine. also pay close attention to the density of the noise, the upper portion of the block... timing chain, rods, lifters, blancer, rockers, the lower end could get a bit more complicated. Is it louder when its cold? does it minimize or go away when the engine raches normal operating temp?.
first give the new oil and filter a shot. If it dosent go away, I ll give you a few more diag tips. good luck.

_________________
“You cannot solve a problem from the same consciousness that created it."

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:49 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I found the problem!! Since I don't have a bumper cover on right now, the inner fender was rubbing on the tires and the fog light door was sticking out towards the tires making the noise!! Don't know how I missed that one!! :roll: I'll take a picture and post it....I guess I got some cutting to do!! :twisted:

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:53 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Image

Image

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:51 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
I don't know if I should laugh at you or with you :lol: :lol: :lol: at least it was nothing major !!! Good find

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:03 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
tommudd wrote:
I don't know if I should laugh at you or with you :lol: :lol: :lol: at least it was nothing major !!! Good find


yeah, nothing serious...my inner tire sidewall got scraped up a bit..thats all.

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:20 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
jeepkj02 wrote:
tommudd wrote:
I don't know if I should laugh at you or with you :lol: :lol: :lol: at least it was nothing major !!! Good find


yeah, nothing serious...my inner tire sidewall got scraped up a bit..thats all.


Oh anything about the "little side project " :wink: with Clint yet?? just wondering??!!!! Also off subject again, but did you get his LEDs to work? I got one and it doesn't work ????

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:04 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Tom, PM sent!

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com