It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Wheeling Alone/Stock
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:27 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:22 am
Posts: 173
Location: Laurel MD
I am not trying to start a holy war but just wanted to put forth my opinions on Wheeling alone and/or in a stock vehicle. I have seen over and over again, people say "do not wheel alone", "it's stupid to wheel alone", etc. There have been similar comments about wheeling in a stock vehicle. Now I will be the first to admit that it certainly isn't the first choice to wheel alone or stock but I don't think that it is as dangerous as some like to make it out to be. As long as you realize that you are alone and that you are in a stock vehicle there is no reason you cant go out and have fun and be safe at the same time.

That being said, lets talk about wheeling alone. Of course, you would never want to hit the Moab trails alone. If you are going to wheel alone, go places that are not far from civilization. If you are always in cell phone range then you know you can always get help if needed. If you are going to a place that is not in cell phone range, then make sure you are able to walk back to civilization to get help. Always head back well before dark if you aren't prepared to walk back in the dark. The key is to realize you are alone and to wheel like you are alone and not with a group, dont take undue risks and always be aware of your surroundings

As for wheeling stock, I would love to have an SFA with 8" of lift, warn power plant, some 35" tires and arb lockers... but I don't. I have a stock liberty. So I go wheeling like I have a stock liberty (my wife might dispute that point sometimes but I haven't been stuck yet :-)). Again, if you are wheeling in a stock vehicle, then be aware that you are in a stock vehicle and dont try to go places that you need lift and armor and a winch to get to. YOu can have fun in a stock vehicle as long as you are careful, you are aware of your surroundings and you dont try to go beyond the limits of your vehicle. I was out on the trail once and I came upon an F250 that looked like it had 10 inches of lift and some super big tires. I asked him how the trail was up ahead, where he just came from. He said it was really rough that I should probably turn around and go the other way. I went ahead anyway to see for myself and the trail was rough, but by going slow and picking good lines and having my wife spot me, we made it through with no problems. It is all about knowing the capability of your jeep and not being overconfident.

I could go on and on but I will leave at this. You can wheel alone and in a stock vehicle as long as you are careful and know your limitations.

Let the flames begin :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

_________________
04 Black Limited
Custom orange grill inserts, custom orange rock rails
Reese Class III Add-on Hitch
245 70 16 Firestone Destination ATs
http://www.clownthings.com/jeep


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:54 am 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
No flames for you but they will have some for me, I agree that IF you know what you are doing, and have someone with you to spot and know that when you come upon a big mud hole not to drive straight in but check to see how deep it is etc then yes you can go out and have fun

Here is what I have seen, heard and read over the past 30 years on what a lot of the real problems are
1) Some who has never owned a 4 WD buys one and thinks "I can go any where now, I HAVE 4 WHEEL DRIVE!!!!"
2) Booze, gets you in trouble every time
3) Friends...best buddy telling you, sure you can make it a friend of mine with a 2 wheel drive Chevy went through there last week ( right before it rained 11 inches) :wink:
4) stock tires are junk if you upgrade them you can go a lot better
5) skids, you always need skids no matter what
6) tow points just in case you do have to be pulled out
7) COMMON SENSE, for some reason the human race has lost this part of the DNA over the past 20 years, know that you have a stock vehicle and drive it as such

just a few of the things but the rest will get deleted by admin if I post them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FLAME ON :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:46 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:03 pm
Posts: 765
Location: Homeless in Vegas
I have been wheeling alone since I started driving in the late 70's. Heck I wheel alone for work on a regular bases. I get back into some areas where it can be very scarly to be alone.

Please if you don't have even basic survival skills, food and water for at least 3 days for all in the vehicle with you, recovery gear for self recoveries, communication devices other than just a cell phone, first aid kit including things like snake bite kit, super glue (found that one out the hard way), fire extingisher, shelter (I carry a tent and sleeping bag at all times, extra clothes and boots for each in the vehicle past what I will need), water proof matches and are not capable of hiking out from where you are going into, please don't do it. Know the climate your are going into, this is extremely important. Know the weather report for the time you are going to be gone, they aren't always right so be prepared for the worst.

Always notify someone of where you are going, I even give maps and GPS cordinates of my routes to someone. I always tell them when I am going when I expect to be back, when to come searching for me or call in a search team (which hasn't happened). Sometimes this is tough with my work trips as a lot of times I am going into places where I have never been, but I still give as much information as possible.

When I go into the forest service lands or blm lands, I check in at the local office and also tell them my plans and tell them I when will come back by such and such date by such and such time. They love that and will also be very helpfully with planning a fun trip, and also have a quick response time if you don't check back in.

I am always looking at what I am about to go through before proceeding. I don't take near the chances when I am by my self that I do when I am with a group. Use your head, its the best tool you have. Be prepared, yes I was an Eagle Scout but that can't be stressed enough.


I am sure there is a lot more I am not remembering to post and one day would like to post up a ton of information for those that may wheel alone. I always tell people that heck I didn't even join a Jeep club till 2002. Over 20 years of wheeling and going into my cabin etc back in the middle of no where alone, or with my wife. Heck we have wheeled alone in Moab many times as well. I like wheeling with groups, but I also like to be out either just me or the wife and I. I have pictures of a trip where I had to winch many times to get out because the road washed out, yes I was by myself. Crazy? No I was prepared and got right out and made it on time. It was actually very gratifing to know that I have the equipment and the skills to do it. I had to plan out every crossing by recovery points. I have been stuck in the snow where it took many hours to get out by myself. One time I fell and sliced my thumb open. I drove myself out over 15 miles of trail and another 20 to the hospital. Ended up with somewhere around 30 stiches in my thumb. That was a bad day.

This all being said some situations that can come up can really bring the suck, and it's not for everyone.

_________________
Jeep, its a way of life.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 KL Cherokee Trail Hawk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:00 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:23 am
Posts: 349
Location: cincinnati
so how about all us stockers go drive somewhere completely away from civilization then take back packing gear with us so if it hits the fan we can just hike.

_________________
04 KJ sport Patriot Blue
Hella 500's
Tail Light Covers
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Pathfinder AT's


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:04 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:23 am
Posts: 349
Location: cincinnati
funny thing a buddy and i went wheeling the other day alone there was a guy with a 4x4 cutting up fallen trees from the wind storm we had within a yell most of the trail. He had hooks and i had a strap...... So point being we got stuck and my buddy was like ill go get him :? , i decided that we need not be stock no more and some how managed to get out of two very deep ruts and some nasty doo doo i slipped into, so now the libby is dirty inside and out like i said slipped into my window was down.

_________________
04 KJ sport Patriot Blue
Hella 500's
Tail Light Covers
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Pathfinder AT's


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:19 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm
Posts: 4129
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
I agree that with proper preparation it can be an enjoyable time. However, it you slip in mud or a wet moss covered stone and fall hitting your head and get knocked out MOST of the preparations won't help. In this case the ONE preparation that would help is telling someone where you are going and when you expect to get back. You can't be ready for everything that "can" happen. But there is smart and there is dumb.

I am lifted, good off road tires, skid plates, first aid kit, snake bite kit and cell phone. Some places I will go alone and some I won't. I admit that it is nice to be out there alone and you see a nice spot so you stop. All by yourself, the view and the quietness are fantastic. But even here in Florida where it is as flat as a pancake there are dangers. We have rattle snakes, water moccasins (copper heads) and bears. You just never know do you?

Terry

_________________
Image2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:05 pm 
Offline
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:16 pm
Posts: 768
Location: Sin City, Nevada
I have to throw in my two cents here as well. I wheel alone most of the time. I have to agree with Taz and Tom. BE PREPARED! Being in the desert, I always carry an extra 2 gallons of water with me whenever I plan to leave the pavement. I always pack a meal and throw in an extra sandwich and take several energy bars along as well. I am lifted with great off road tires, full skids. strong recovery points, etc. I never leave without throwing in a shovel, air compressor, hi-lift jack, and the hi-lift winching kit (there has been much debate about using a hi-lift as a winch. It works great. Yes you only move a couple of feet at a time. Yes, it takes a lot of work, yes its a royal pain, but it works. Slowly, but it works). I keep my tools, recovery strap, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, 2 liters of water and a couple of energy bars in the KJ at all times. Heck, I had an important meeting last month that I had written the wrong time down for. I had to rush across town and skip a meal. Luckily, I drank a liter of water, ate and energy bar and I was good to go for several more hours.

I always let people know where I'm going and when to expect me back home. The Forest Service loves it when you stop by. They will tell you places to avoid, what the weather should be like, give you maps, suggest points of interest, etc. If I am unsure about a particular trail or part of a trail, I will get out and walk it. Many times there is an obstacle right over a little rise in the trail that I don't want to try to tackle alone. Park someplace that you can turn around. That way you don't have to try to back down the trail (I have seen too many roll overs caused by guys backing down a trail). If its just you in the Jeep and you need a spotter, you shouldn't try to tackle the obstacle. Don't be over confident. The KJ is a very capable vehicle, but it's not a tank. Drinking and wheeling is not a good idea. I like an adult beverage as much as the next guy, but save it for camp or when you get back home.

The soap box is now available.

_________________
'06 Stone White, CRD Limited
CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:19 pm 
Offline
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:40 pm
Posts: 2353
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Well, if you can't 'wheel alone what else can't you do? One is no more likely to slip & fall on a rock 'wheeling as they would be walking in their back yard. Unconcious, alone, bleeding severely is bad either way.

If you drive off the side of a highway & become trapped in the car ( as there has been countless examples ), is it becuase you failed to safely travel in at least a two-car pack?

Everyone has their risk tolerences. Some people's risk threshold is just way lower than others'. A little common sense in deciding the level of preperation required for the desired activity should level the risk playing field.

Not 'wheel stock? I have not heard that. I have heard to not try to hit the hardest trails at Moab stock, for example, but many here & throughout the 4by world well bone-stock vehicles. My KJ is stock, and it gets to play. To some degree risk-tolerence comes into play here, too. But you can have just as much fun conquering a lesser obstacle that is at the far-end of your vehicles abilities as you can with ultra-rig rock racing. All that you lose is bragging rights.

_________________
LOST # 633
'05 KJ 3.7L/6spd/241 245/75/16 MT's
'88 MJ 4.0L/AW4/231 SWB HPD30 & trac-loc D44 w/3.73's
A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:36 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
When I was younger I went wheeling all the time by myself, almost exclusively by myself actually, and I have been stuck three times where I had to walk down a mountain, not big hills but full on mountains. One mountain was over 8,200 feet down to about 4,600 feet, the second was about 9,600 feet to around 5,100 feet and the other one was over 6,000 feet down to 4,800 feet in 2 feet of snow. All three times the trails were easy but a small and simple mistake and I ended up stuck and had a long, terrible walk out. One of those times I was wheeling at night and got stuck in a water crossing and had to walk down the mountain in the dark, wet from the waist down where bears and mountain lions are seen frequently. It was horrible. I have an endless supply of trails right behind my house and I used to hit all those alone too but not really anymore. Since I joined a good club and since people from a local forum are always asking if anyone wants to go hit a trail I am never in need of trail buddies, plus my brother has a CJ8. So my solo days are pretty much over for now. The only wheeling I do alone anymore is for hunting and those trails are all well maintained fire roads for the most part so no issues ever arise.

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:23 am
Posts: 349
Location: cincinnati
i live in cincinnati i get close to the river get some muddy thats it maybe get shot but not eaten by a bear

_________________
04 KJ sport Patriot Blue
Hella 500's
Tail Light Covers
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Pathfinder AT's


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:55 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:20 pm
Posts: 502
Location: Corona, CA
My weekend is Tuesday/Wednesday. That means I wheel alone. Almost all the time. Don't have to worry much about getting stuck around here, where mud exists only theoretically. I do worry about a mechanical failure leaving me stuck somewhere where it would be difficult or exceptionally expensive to recover the vehicle. But I've got two feet that come with a lifetime warranty. Any wheeling you can walk away from afterward is good wheeling. And any wheeling where you can reuse the vehicle afterward is great wheeling.

_________________
2002 KJ (un)Limited 4x4: OME HD lift, ARB bullbar, Warn 4X flood lights, Skid Row tranny skid, Mopar engine, transfer case and fuel tank skids, Boulder Bars, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs on Moab wheels.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:04 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
Like others have said you need to be smart about it and plan for anything that might or can happen.

Have at least....
-extra food/water
-clothes(for the worst weather)
-GPS/compass and map
-Cell phone/sat phone(best)
-first aid kit
-flashlight
-lighter/matches
-winch
-pullpal--http://www.pullpal.com/

And of course let someone know where you plan on going and at what time,and don't forget to give a expected return time and do not go somewhere else then where you stated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:25 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:22 am
Posts: 173
Location: Laurel MD
I'm pleasantly surprised. I really did expect more negative feedback. Everybody has made excellent points, the key is definitely be prepared for your surroundings and for the unexpected. Here in maryland, I have nowhere to go that I couldnt crawl back to civilization from on a bad knee in less than two hours. Some of the places all ya'all have described as being able to go to would definitely require some serious preparation and some consideration of whether going it alone was a wise idea or not.

KJTAZ, that list is awesome and I saved it off for use as a guide in putting together our disaster preparedness kit. Thanks for the support folks.

_________________
04 Black Limited
Custom orange grill inserts, custom orange rock rails
Reese Class III Add-on Hitch
245 70 16 Firestone Destination ATs
http://www.clownthings.com/jeep


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:07 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:03 pm
Posts: 765
Location: Homeless in Vegas
There is a lot more I carry with me on these adventures but hopefully you get the idea. At one time I had a list together, but I can not find it at the moment.

_________________
Jeep, its a way of life.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 KL Cherokee Trail Hawk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:42 pm 
Fulltimer wrote:
I agree that with proper preparation it can be an enjoyable time. However, it you slip in mud or a wet moss covered stone and fall hitting your head and get knocked out MOST of the preparations won't help. In this case the ONE preparation that would help is telling someone where you are going and when you expect to get back. You can't be ready for everything that "can" happen. But there is smart and there is dumb.

I am lifted, good off road tires, skid plates, first aid kit, snake bite kit and cell phone. Some places I will go alone and some I won't. I admit that it is nice to be out there alone and you see a nice spot so you stop. All by yourself, the view and the quietness are fantastic. But even here in Florida where it is as flat as a pancake there are dangers. We have rattle snakes, water moccasins (copper heads) and bears. You just never know do you?

Terry


You guys have bears in Florida? I didn't think there was any that south. lol. We have loads of bears up here. Last weekend i saw a grizzly bear while offroading in the mountains. I got about 10 feet from him because i came around a corner in my jeep and we surprised eachother. He stopped and looked at me a few times and then finally left.

Here is a pic i managed to get - was too dark but i fixed it in photoshop.
Image


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:12 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
I've been wheeling in MOAB alone many times. However, when I am alone, I only go out on the well-traveled trails.

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:17 am 
Offline
I live here
I live here
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:59 pm
Posts: 5839
Location: Aurora, CO
He was debating whether if he could eat the Jeep or not.

Let's see.....


slip on moss and hit head - solution: wear bicycle helmet

come upon a grizzly bear 10 ft from you - solution: take Mother-in-law with you, toss her out in front, and quickly lock the doors.

_________________
===
New KJ Gear - Desert Armor Flak

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:19 am 
Offline
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:16 pm
Posts: 768
Location: Sin City, Nevada
Bears?? We have these vicious critters here in the desert surrounding Vegas. Let me tell you, when you find yourself nose to nose with one of these guys . . . its just too frightening to think of.
Image

_________________
'06 Stone White, CRD Limited
CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:22 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
I'd take the grizzly all day over this rabbit:

Image

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:32 am 
Offline
The Cake is a Lie!
The Cake is a Lie!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:16 pm
Posts: 768
Location: Sin City, Nevada
:-)r :-)r :-)r

I think I soiled my armor! Bring out the holy hand grenade!

_________________
'06 Stone White, CRD Limited
CRD Frankenlift II, Rock Lizard Rear Bumper, Mann Provent, GDE FT-ECO Tune, "Euro Torque Converter, Transgo 545RFE-H2 Shift Kit, 245/75 MT/R's on Moabs, Full Mopar Skids, Front Tow Hooks, CAT 2 Fuel filter and bleeder valve mod, Fumoto valve, Wahlbro Lift Pump, Custom 2 1/2" Exhaust


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com