| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Need brake input... http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36700 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Chief BK [ Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:35 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Need brake input... |
Went to the dealer to have a window regulator replaced. While I was there I decided to get my inspection and emissions done. The inspection turned up worn rear brakes. I've only got 20k on this lil beauty and have yet to put fronts on it. I am well aware of the TSB for the 03-04 "moaning" but that's not the issue. Can anyone tell my why the heck my rears are shot in the rear at 20k and my fronts are still at 5? The dealership tried to tell me that it's the composition of rear pads now and that the ratio is more 1:1 than the 2:1 (front to rear) from days past. My question (that they couldn't answer) was "If it's 1:1...why is my front still at 5?" Anybody have any input on this? |
|
| Author: | InCommando [ Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:03 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Something is wrong for sure. I had to replace mine at 50K, but that was due to a bad caliper. The other side indicated that had the caliper not stuck I had many miles left on those pads. IIRC, the '05 & '06 brakes are identical. Unless you are riding around with the e-brake on for some reason, Lucy would have some 'splainin' to do. |
|
| Author: | KJ Willy [ Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I had to have my rears replaced at 40,000 and my front just made it to 57,000. I don't understand how they were so far off on being changed? |
|
| Author: | Chief BK [ Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:07 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
This dealer has been great in the past to myself and even my family for years. The Service Manager has been there since I was a small child. I don't think he would put me over the barrel like that. So the question now remains...what's wrong with it? |
|
| Author: | ATXKJ [ Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:37 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
There have been some problems with the rear calipers not releasing fully - when you stop - check and see if they're hotter than the fronts. FYI - search on ' rear caliper' http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=27823&highlight=rear+caliper http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=35528&highlight=rear+caliper http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=31804&highlight=rear+caliper |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
dealership is full of it No way you should only get 20,000/30,000 out of a set unless you left foot it all the time |
|
| Author: | Chief BK [ Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:51 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
That would eventually cause the "moaning" sound that was listed in the TSB. I asked them about that...he says that I shouldn't have any problems with an '06. He also said that they can't justify it under the TSB until the "moaning" is heard. That's the thing...I haven't heard it. They test drove it for 20 miles and didn't hear it either. |
|
| Author: | JNJ-Z [ Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:56 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
question? did you look at them? and if they are worn you need new calipers, i replaced both of mine 05 sport, both were sticking |
|
| Author: | Chief BK [ Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:38 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I did see them and they were definitely worn. What I fail to understand is...I should have felt some resistance or hesitation if they were sticking. Say I'm in denial...say whatever you want, but I'm struggling to comprehend it. lol |
|
| Author: | JNJ-Z [ Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
my would have a slight popping when taking off, which indicated the sticking. so i replaced both just to be sure. napa has them about 80.00 a piece!! everything is much better now. but that worked for me i hope this helps!!! |
|
| Author: | KJ04 [ Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:46 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Chief BK wrote: I did see them and they were definitely worn. What I fail to understand is...I should have felt some resistance or hesitation if they were sticking. Say I'm in denial...say whatever you want, but I'm struggling to comprehend it. lol
I couldn't feel any resistance either when my rears were sticking. There is a smell like hot asphalt though and the rotors were hot. Dealer replaced both rears at 15,000 mi. and I just replaced the left rear again recently at 28,500 mi. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|