It is currently Sun Oct 04, 2026 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Which Transmission do I have?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:18 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:57 pm
Posts: 387
Location: Buchanan, MI
I have an '04 Liberty Ltd., and was curious: How do I find out if I've got a 42rle, or a 45rfe transmission? :shock:

_________________
E.E.P. for my Jeep (EMPTYING EVERY POCKET)
2004 Limited - Stock no more
JcrOffroad sliders-Trail tested, mud approved
Frankenlifted
Al's A-Arms
Stock Skids
235/70/16 Cooper Discoverer HTPs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:19 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
42rle.

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:20 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Woodward Ave
Word. Only the 2002 and SOME 2003's have the 45.

_________________
02 Liberty Limited
Silver Outside & Taupe Inside
Heated Seats, Sunroof & Infinity speakers
USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:23 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:57 pm
Posts: 387
Location: Buchanan, MI
Gracias, senior. :D So now, my next question: Any idea how difficult it is to replace the range sensor? My stealership told me I've got a P0706 code, which is a bad range sensor, and they want $450 to change the darned thing. :cry:

_________________
E.E.P. for my Jeep (EMPTYING EVERY POCKET)
2004 Limited - Stock no more
JcrOffroad sliders-Trail tested, mud approved
Frankenlifted
Al's A-Arms
Stock Skids
235/70/16 Cooper Discoverer HTPs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:46 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
QuestMan wrote:
Gracias, senior. :D So now, my next question: Any idea how difficult it is to replace the range sensor? My stealership told me I've got a P0706 code, which is a bad range sensor, and they want $450 to change the darned thing. :cry:
You have to remove the valvebody in the trans.

Right from the '04 FSM.
Quote:
TRANSMISSION RANGE
SENSOR
DESCRIPTION
The Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) is mounted
to the top of the valve body inside the transmission
and can only be serviced by removing the valve body
assembly. The electrical connector extends through
the transmission case

Quote:
REMOVAL
(1) Disconnect the TRS connector.
(2) Remove valve body assembly from vehicle.
(3) Remove the manual shaft seal
(4) Remove manual shaft/TRS retaining screw
(5) Slide TRS off of manual valve shaft.

Quote:
INSTALLATION
(1) Install the TRS to the manual shaft. Make sure
TRS locating pin rests in manual valve bore slot.
(2) Install the TRS/manual shaft retaining screw
and torque to 5 N·m (45 in. lbs.) torque.
(3) Install the manual shaft seal.
(4) Install valve body to the transmission.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:47 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm
Posts: 1885
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
I had to replace the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) on my Liberty (45RFE). But the part itself cost $400. It seems on the 42RLE it is a different design. On the 45RFE it is a integrated part of the Solenoid Pack. According to my 2003 service manual it says it a serviceable part.

To answer your question, you must drop your pan/filter and remove your valve body to gain access to the TRS.

_________________
2002 Jeep KJ Sport 3.7L 4x4

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:09 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:57 pm
Posts: 387
Location: Buchanan, MI
Quote:
You have to remove the valvebody in the trans.


Thanks. Thats the answer I needed - NOT necessarily the answer I wanted, but the answer I needed.

Quote:
But the part itself cost $400.


This is the reason I was wondering which tranny I had. The part for the 42RLE is about $58, from the dealer. They told me the biggest cost was the labor. I was HOPING they were wrong.

Hmmm............time to get the transgo shiftkit and MAYBE an upgraded torque converter!! 8)

_________________
E.E.P. for my Jeep (EMPTYING EVERY POCKET)
2004 Limited - Stock no more
JcrOffroad sliders-Trail tested, mud approved
Frankenlifted
Al's A-Arms
Stock Skids
235/70/16 Cooper Discoverer HTPs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:19 pm 
Offline
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:40 pm
Posts: 2353
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Having never had a 42 apart ( or even had one ) I cannot say for sure, but taking the valve body off of older Chryco auto's is pretty simple. The potential for making a big red mess is about the worse part. Go for it.

_________________
LOST # 633
'05 KJ 3.7L/6spd/241 245/75/16 MT's
'88 MJ 4.0L/AW4/231 SWB HPD30 & trac-loc D44 w/3.73's
A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:29 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:57 pm
Posts: 387
Location: Buchanan, MI
I've replaced/rebuilt an engine, done countless brake jobs wheel bearing replacements and tuneups, but the ONLY thing I ever replaced on a tranny was the filter, fluid, and gasket on my Postal Jeep. For some reason, I get really nervous about playing inside the tranny. Ever since I saw trannies being put together in Hamtramck, I've kind of been in awe/fear at the amount of parts that go into those suckers. :oops:

_________________
E.E.P. for my Jeep (EMPTYING EVERY POCKET)
2004 Limited - Stock no more
JcrOffroad sliders-Trail tested, mud approved
Frankenlifted
Al's A-Arms
Stock Skids
235/70/16 Cooper Discoverer HTPs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:13 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:57 pm
Posts: 387
Location: Buchanan, MI
OK - Here's the deal. I checked my receipt from 3 weeks ago, and they show the same P code from when they rebuilt my transmission. I showed the service writer the receipt from yesterday, and from 3 weeks ago, pointing out that it was noted there was a P0706 code that was scanned both times. They told me that since the range sensor is a part of the electronics, it is NOT covered under the 7/70 powertrain warranty - even though it is INSIDE of the transmission. :shock:

Even so, it would have been nice if they had said, 3 weeks ago, "Hey! You've got a bad range sensor: since we're rebuilding the transmission anyway, would you like to pay the cost of the part, and we'll take care of it right now, while the transmission is ALREADY apart?"

Although it may have been technically correct, isn't this a little on the 'shady' side? :?

_________________
E.E.P. for my Jeep (EMPTYING EVERY POCKET)
2004 Limited - Stock no more
JcrOffroad sliders-Trail tested, mud approved
Frankenlifted
Al's A-Arms
Stock Skids
235/70/16 Cooper Discoverer HTPs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:17 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:52 am
Posts: 625
Location: DuPage County , IL
Maybe? Then again, the Tech and or Service Writer might be a moron?

_________________
Illegitima Non carborundom!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com