It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2026 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Poison Spyder Customs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:33 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am
Posts: 3865
Location: Draper, UT
from colorado4x4.org

It has been rumored that Poison Spyder was closing, having problems or just reorganizing. I recently addressed some of this on the boards, if you read closely you would have caught that I was contemplating another direction at that time. I have entertained a change for over a year now and finally pulled the trigger. I'am closing Poison Spyder customs down in it's current form, as a full manufacturer.

I originally started out building Baja bugs at age 15, learned allot but moved on to Jeeps. Had a five year gig with the army in a Special forces unit as a commo specialist and Thai linguist, after an injury was forced to redirect my life plan. I never forgot the off road world, and figured I would try to find a place in it. Worked at a small shop called Wilderness off road, then to 4 Wheel parts doing special projects while writing for 4X4 Power and JP magazine. Partnered with my buddy Steve Rumore, sold my house, paid all of my debts and moved into 1000 ft. shop in the heart of Denver. Steve maintaining the sister shop in Bayfeild,Colorado. This was Avalanche engineering. My dogs and I lived at various shops for six years as the company grew through the Avalanche days and then separated into Poison Spyder customs. Bringing along a heritage of innovation and style that is still part of the modern DNA of the rock machines built today. We grew from those meager days to a fully encapsulated and self sufficient manufacturer. As I reflect over the past twenty five years in the dirt world, owning an off road company of Poison Spyder's size and abilities should have been the pinnacle. When I got to the top of that mountain I found myself looking back wishing I had stopped somewhere along the way.

The above is very summarized history, all a continued evolution built on vehicles and component innovation. One of the first questions everyone poses to me is what are you going to do with all of the parts, are you still going to build any of them? No, with a couple of exceptions. Another popular inquiry is where can I get equivalent parts? Even with our components in the grasp of mimicking companies, they could never seem to find the recipe, the perfect combination of function and style that we always aspired to. So to this question I don't have an answer. We grew as a company with our foundation in hard core components, parts that had never been seen or conjured up before. For those of you that were wheeling in the late eighties and early ninety's, you can remember when chrome tube bumpers and diamond plate were the cutting edge. We the renegade hard cores of those days that could be seen running the trails with full width axles, exotic suspensions and these gnarly looking mud tires called Swampers. We couldn't travel the ever escalating trails we were pushing with the off the shelf equipment that was available then. Those parts were more inspired by show truck fashion, and was not the answer for the direction the off road world was destined to follow. Regrettably I'am not driven to continue building and creating some of the best hard core parts in our industry on a production level.

Many people have passed through over the years, I would like to mention several stand outs that were and are integral in our growth and success:
Steve Rumore: A good friend, one of the only people in our industry that could really impress me
Tim Turner: Best fab tech I ever had, an eccentric for sure, but the great ones always are
Paul Herrera: A great organizer, the last one standing a 4AM when something had to get done, potential to further himself in the industry
Curt Sadler: A jack of all trades, could cover any position in the company and do it well, and a good friend
Larry wood: A consistent rock of reliability, a trusted cohort, worked at Spyder longer than anyone
AJ Slay: Always a positive force at the shop, the best sales person we have ever had, kept me in touch with reality
Bret Glassett: A creative mind that elevated our company on many levels and a respectable wheeler
Chris Kreutzer: Another individual that came with many unique skills that pushed us upward
Scott Polk:We shared our first building, a great wrench and old school builder
Karl Westendorf: A company first man, always looked out for my and Poison Spyder's best interest, most capable

So what is to become of Poison Spyder customs? AJ, our daughter, two dogs and I are moving to Luckenbach Texas... well not in a literal sense. However we are going to re-open the first week of November in our new shop. We are leaving behind the tasking dynamics of a large business, staff and burdens that have grown with us over the years. Going back in time to a shop only a hundred yards from my second shop off of Titan court. Our foundation being the Spyderlock bead lock line, of which I'am excited to focus and expand on. Further, after AJ and I get reorganized I will return to building Rock rods, custom machines and trail guiding. We greatly appreciate your patronage of Poison Spyder customs, and look forward to reacquainting with everyone under our new direction.

Clifton and AJ Slay

_________________
2006 CRD http://www.UtahPowderCoatings.com/ http://www.gorecon.com/ I'm kind of a big deal.
RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:23 pm 
Offline
Bush Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:22 am
Posts: 952
Location: Raleigh, NC
I don't know anything about that company, but he sounds like a sincere, and hard working american. Hard to find nowadays.

I would like to tell him now that he is in Luckenbach, TX. Say hi to Willy, Waylon, and Johnny for me. :D

_________________
-08 KK Bright Silver Met.
Mopar front tow hooks,
Mopar Skids
Curt class III/IV hitch, and wireing
O.K. Offroad steel reciever shackle
Zune 80 gig for the tunes,
(Do Jeep slush mats count?)
Life size Amstaff terrier bobble head in rear seat :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:28 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:38 pm
Posts: 5334
Location: Biggest Little City
Bummer. I liked a lot of the stuff they put out. A lot. Have to look elsewhere for my LJ. :evil:

_________________
My Jeep Build ----> Big Black
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:31 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:52 am
Posts: 625
Location: DuPage County , IL
So does this mean my PS rock ring, and the PS (unused) decal I received (from the original owner of my KJ) are now collector items? :wink:

_________________
Illegitima Non carborundom!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com