LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Which Transmission do I have?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36832
Page 1 of 1

Author:  QuestMan [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Which Transmission do I have?

I have an '04 Liberty Ltd., and was curious: How do I find out if I've got a 42rle, or a 45rfe transmission? :shock:

Author:  jeepkj02 [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

42rle.

Author:  sleeve84028 [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

Word. Only the 2002 and SOME 2003's have the 45.

Author:  QuestMan [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Gracias, senior. :D So now, my next question: Any idea how difficult it is to replace the range sensor? My stealership told me I've got a P0706 code, which is a bad range sensor, and they want $450 to change the darned thing. :cry:

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

QuestMan wrote:
Gracias, senior. :D So now, my next question: Any idea how difficult it is to replace the range sensor? My stealership told me I've got a P0706 code, which is a bad range sensor, and they want $450 to change the darned thing. :cry:
You have to remove the valvebody in the trans.

Right from the '04 FSM.
Quote:
TRANSMISSION RANGE
SENSOR
DESCRIPTION
The Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) is mounted
to the top of the valve body inside the transmission
and can only be serviced by removing the valve body
assembly. The electrical connector extends through
the transmission case

Quote:
REMOVAL
(1) Disconnect the TRS connector.
(2) Remove valve body assembly from vehicle.
(3) Remove the manual shaft seal
(4) Remove manual shaft/TRS retaining screw
(5) Slide TRS off of manual valve shaft.

Quote:
INSTALLATION
(1) Install the TRS to the manual shaft. Make sure
TRS locating pin rests in manual valve bore slot.
(2) Install the TRS/manual shaft retaining screw
and torque to 5 N·m (45 in. lbs.) torque.
(3) Install the manual shaft seal.
(4) Install valve body to the transmission.

Author:  jeepkj02 [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

I had to replace the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) on my Liberty (45RFE). But the part itself cost $400. It seems on the 42RLE it is a different design. On the 45RFE it is a integrated part of the Solenoid Pack. According to my 2003 service manual it says it a serviceable part.

To answer your question, you must drop your pan/filter and remove your valve body to gain access to the TRS.

Author:  QuestMan [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
You have to remove the valvebody in the trans.


Thanks. Thats the answer I needed - NOT necessarily the answer I wanted, but the answer I needed.

Quote:
But the part itself cost $400.


This is the reason I was wondering which tranny I had. The part for the 42RLE is about $58, from the dealer. They told me the biggest cost was the labor. I was HOPING they were wrong.

Hmmm............time to get the transgo shiftkit and MAYBE an upgraded torque converter!! 8)

Author:  InCommando [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Having never had a 42 apart ( or even had one ) I cannot say for sure, but taking the valve body off of older Chryco auto's is pretty simple. The potential for making a big red mess is about the worse part. Go for it.

Author:  QuestMan [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

I've replaced/rebuilt an engine, done countless brake jobs wheel bearing replacements and tuneups, but the ONLY thing I ever replaced on a tranny was the filter, fluid, and gasket on my Postal Jeep. For some reason, I get really nervous about playing inside the tranny. Ever since I saw trannies being put together in Hamtramck, I've kind of been in awe/fear at the amount of parts that go into those suckers. :oops:

Author:  QuestMan [ Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

OK - Here's the deal. I checked my receipt from 3 weeks ago, and they show the same P code from when they rebuilt my transmission. I showed the service writer the receipt from yesterday, and from 3 weeks ago, pointing out that it was noted there was a P0706 code that was scanned both times. They told me that since the range sensor is a part of the electronics, it is NOT covered under the 7/70 powertrain warranty - even though it is INSIDE of the transmission. :shock:

Even so, it would have been nice if they had said, 3 weeks ago, "Hey! You've got a bad range sensor: since we're rebuilding the transmission anyway, would you like to pay the cost of the part, and we'll take care of it right now, while the transmission is ALREADY apart?"

Although it may have been technically correct, isn't this a little on the 'shady' side? :?

Author:  CrossBones [ Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Maybe? Then again, the Tech and or Service Writer might be a moron?

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/