| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Best Class III/IV Reciever Hitch? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3790 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | mOlson [ Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:11 am ] |
| Post subject: | Best Class III/IV Reciever Hitch? |
Buying a rear hitch for tow point and trailer pulling and am looking at the Draw-Tite #75128 from e-trailer.com. Any opinions on a better hitch or retailer? |
|
| Author: | raceinfan [ Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:42 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I got mine from U-HAUL class III it was around $ 120 got it as a recovery point,bolted right up no problems at all |
|
| Author: | Neatus [ Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:13 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I got a Hiden Hitch class III off Ebay for $100 and free shipping. I have towed light and heavy loads with no problems. |
|
| Author: | Tokyojoe [ Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Hidden Hitch or Draw-tite. Some say the Draw-tite might be stronger. The Hidden hitch hides better. You choose. |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:38 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Draw tite is the best, it tows 7500 even though the libby only pulls 5k. I like knowing my hitch isnt going to break. it extends out more so you can clear the spare tire better too. |
|
| Author: | CtrlAltDel [ Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:36 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I just ordered a front receiver hitch from etrailer.com and they seem like a pretty good outfit. Acknowledged and processed my order the same day, shipped it the next business day. Also got free shipping...I stumbled in when they were doing a promotion the day after Thanksgiving |
|
| Author: | Tightwadsjeeper [ Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:03 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Tokyojoe wrote: Hidden Hitch or Draw-tite. Some say the Draw-tite might be stronger. The Hidden hitch hides better.
You choose. I've had two Hidden Hitches before, and was very happy with both. I've installed a couple of them for other friends/relatives who were also very satisfied with them. Luis |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:06 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
umm, draw tite. |
|
| Author: | dog_party [ Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:26 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I had a Hidden Hitch before and I liked it, but that was on a different vehicle. With the spare on the back of the Jeep, I might be inclined to try the DrawTite, just because it sticks out further and seems to be getting pretty good reviews. My Liberty already had the towing pkg when I bought it, so I have the DC hitch and have been extremely happy with it so far. |
|
| Author: | mOlson [ Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:51 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Thanks for the input guys; you all are tops! Looks like I am going with the draw-tite particularly for the tire clearance issues. |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:31 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
i had a post on it when i put mine on. Ill try to find it for ya, lots of pics and stuff. Edit: found it. http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight= |
|
| Author: | shak [ Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:21 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I was looking to get one of those rear bumper gurads but if i get a hitch it'd have the same effect plus the fact that it allows me to tow. In order for the hitch receiver to protect my rear end, am I better of getting a draw-tite hitch? (hidden hitch stays back) Please help..... |
|
| Author: | Guyute1210 [ Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:55 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
shak wrote: I was looking to get one of those rear bumper gurads but if i get a hitch it'd have the same effect plus the fact that it allows me to tow. In order for the hitch receiver to protect my rear end, am I better of getting a draw-tite hitch? (hidden hitch stays back)
Please help..... Whichever hitch you get, just get a clevis and D-Ring and that will stick out far enough to keep the tire from creasing the door when coming off of rocks, etc. |
|
| Author: | DaveKJ02 [ Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:36 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
shak wrote: I was looking to get one of those rear bumper gurads but if i get a hitch it'd have the same effect plus the fact that it allows me to tow. In order for the hitch receiver to protect my rear end, am I better of getting a draw-tite hitch? (hidden hitch stays back)
Please help..... I have the Draw Tight hitch with the clevis ring down the street! Not sure how it sits compered to the Hidden Hitch. I think it's rated a bit heavier than the hidden hitch and heard the reciever sticks out a bit more to make it easier to clear the tire. I have scrapped it against some rocks wheeling so I suppose it would have been the back bumper scrapping if it wasnt there! (By the way-saw the bumper-very nice! |
|
| Author: | Tokyojoe [ Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:57 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
You'd get less scraping with the Hidden and it not reach your bumper unless it was a really good angle that you hit. Then it would've really scraped the Draw. Anyone got a picture of their rear Draw-tite hitch attached? I'll take one of my Hidden Hitch and post it tonight or tomorrow. [/img] |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:44 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
In my post above.
|
|
| Author: | ManicMechanicJoe [ Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:30 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I have a Reese Class III on my '02. It was cheap ($80 at wal-mart), bolted right up, sticks out far enough to use, and can tow my dad's boat (21 foot 300 horsepower, 4500 pounds plus fuel and gear). The install was easy and the instructions were clear with lots of vehicle specific pictures:
|
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:54 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
so is the draw tite a class IV hitch. Its rated at 7500/750. |
|
| Author: | ManicMechanicJoe [ Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:18 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I think its still a class III because class IV go to 9k or 10k. The class system is a minimum amount that a hitch is rated for. I have yet to see any KJ with a class IV as there is no point. The most this vehicle is rated to tow is 5000 pounds. Why buy a hitch rated to tow doulble what your vehicles towing capacity is? If you tow anything over 3000 pounds make sure it has trailer brakes (surge or electric) because stock KJ brakes are a little scary when towing. The short wheelbase of a KJ makes it a bit scary to tow as well. |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:48 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Well, i like to think of when im off road and i get stuck. think off the that force that is on that hitch when your stuck on mud and someone is pulling you out. Im sure it can be more than 5k. Thats why i like having a stronger hitch. I may not be towing that much with it, but it may get that force sometime down the road. |
|
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|