| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Snow Chains http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3980 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Dman [ Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:10 am ] |
| Post subject: | Snow Chains |
Anybody have experience running snow chains on the Liberty. I have an unlifted 2005 Renegade running 245/70. Chains on the front probably won't fit, right. What about the back??? I know running with rear chains only isn't the best idea, but maybe just when stuck. Any experiences??? |
|
| Author: | Bri [ Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:15 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I haven't been through a winter with the KJ yet, but I've never needed chains on my TJ ... 10" of heavy wet snow, and the TJ just crawls (swims?) right through it in 4Hi. That's about the worst I've driven through, winters here have been pretty mild for years now. Two-and-a-half foot drifts of powder get busted through without two much trouble also, if they aren't too long ... Chains would be helpful if you have a LOT of snow, I know even on my TJ the manual says "rear wheels only" as there isn't enough clearance to steer properly with chains on the fronts. My KJ has even less room all the way around, I don't think I'd want to run more than the cable-type tire chains in the back and leave the fronts alone. |
|
| Author: | ManicMechanicJoe [ Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:27 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
You COULD get away with fronts if you had 235's. The 245's and chain will eat your front fenderwells. I run them in the rear on trail rides for winter. Works great-I get into spots most people need lockers for. |
|
| Author: | Tokyojoe [ Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Perhaps those new cable-type "chains" will work on the front. They are a little tighter against the tire than chains. |
|
| Author: | CaKJFreedom [ Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:36 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
These can be used in mud, snow and sand, self cleaning and can be installed while vehicle is stuck.
Costco.com carries them now. |
|
| Author: | USAFCOP [ Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:55 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
what size of those fits the 245/70's? 2 or 3? |
|
| Author: | CaKJFreedom [ Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Size 2 fits 245/70/16. |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:54 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
hmm, thats cool. |
|
| Author: | ManicMechanicJoe [ Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
those goclaws are mighty spendy though |
|
| Author: | CaKJFreedom [ Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:48 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Might be worth it for the "I don't need chains.....Oooops, nevermind" kind of moments though. Neat that you can put them on while you're stuck. |
|
| Author: | Tokyojoe [ Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:21 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
My question is: How effective are they? They don't look any better than regular tire tread. |
|
| Author: | roadpup [ Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:14 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
CaKJFreedom wrote: Might be worth it for the "I don't need chains.....Oooops, nevermind" kind of moments though. Neat that you can put them on while you're stuck.
Isn't that what a winch is for?? |
|
| Author: | CaKJFreedom [ Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:03 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
"Tough, longwearing polyurethane traction modules are easy on your tires, your vehicle and the road Patented PascalTech chambers grip snow, sand or mud; outperforms mud/snow tires and chains " Well, they say they're cool, but then again they have to say that. Just a neat option. Man a winch would be awesome. But not if you were using it to winch yourself off of a tree or something you slid into because you didn't have chains. But at least you'd get to use the winch! |
|
| Author: | ManicMechanicJoe [ Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:45 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
I have chains for the rear of my liberty, my buddy has goclaws for all four of his tires on his XJ. I have yet to get stuck where he got through. Just because you can put the claws on after you're stuck doesn't mean you will unstuck yourself. I can shift into 4x4 after i get stuck-still doesn't pull me out of the mud. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|