It is currently Thu Oct 08, 2026 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: ATF change details
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:40 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:30 am
Posts: 52
Location: Mexico City
I'm about to change the ATF in my KJ for the first time. I've read almost every thread in this forum about
ATF change and think I got the idea very clear. Only some issues I need help about and hope somebody can share his experience or advice:

- In other forums is said that after removing the filter, we have to be sure to remove a gasket that usually stays in the transmission,
but that information is specific for the 45RFE trans. Mine is 42RLE, should I have to look for a gasket to remove?

- About cleaning the pan, someone mentions to do it with brake cleaner, but the procedure is not clear for me. Could
someone help with this please?

- An last, about the RTV, exactly how much time do I have after applying it and before placing the pan in place?.
Do I have to hurry once started to apply it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

_________________
___________________
2006 Limited 4x4 Silver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:59 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm
Posts: 7928
Location: Big Bear & Lancaster, Ca.
Quote:
- In other forums is said that after removing the filter, we have to be sure to remove a gasket that usually stays in the transmission,
but that information is specific for the 45RFE trans. Mine is 42RLE, should I have to look for a gasket to remove?


*Make sure that there is no old RTV or gasket material on the pan mating surfaces before installing the new rtv or gasket. (I recommend finding a kit w/ gasket or buying a pan gasket And putting a Thin layer of rtv on both sides of it before installation for the best, leakproof seal)

*Also, Make sure that the Filter O-ring/seal is removed when you pull the filter off. Your kit should include a new one to install on teh new filter, you don't want the old one in the way when putting the new filter up in place.

Quote:
- About cleaning the pan, someone mentions to do it with brake cleaner, but the procedure is not clear for me. Could
someone help with this please?


*After thougroughly cleaning off old rtv and/or gasket material from the pan and mating surface of the trans, spray the pan w/ brake cleaner to clean it of any old fluid and clean off the magnet. Wipe it dry before putting the new gasket and/or rtv in place.

Quote:
- An last, about the RTV, exactly how much time do I have after applying it and before placing the pan in place?.
Do I have to hurry once started to apply it?


*You have several minutes After application to work w/ it. I apply a small bead to the pan, I spread it across the perimeter surface of the pan making a thin layer, I then lay down the new gasket and repeat the process on the gasket itself. Then I let the rtv skin over, takes a few minutes or so and then you install it, tighten bolts finger tight w/ just a socket and extension, then go back over the bolts alternating sides of the pan as I work my way around the pan. I use a 1/4" drive ratchet for this and just make them hand tight, I don't worry about any torque specs, etc. since after all these years of doing it I have developed a feel for it. Just don't go crazy and break a bolt or strip the trans case going too tight oh or squish out the gasket. If you have a torque spec and wrench, use it if you feel you need to.


fwiw, I have used the above process as well as Just using rtv using a slightly thicker layer of rtv spread around the permiter of the pan and Never a leak either way on Many vehicles over the years both my own, on customers cars and friends and family cars. I also swear by Permatex Ultra Copper for this and many other uses. I have seen leaks on other parts w/ other rtv but Never when I have used Ultra Copper. (don't know why, just my experience)

Hope some of that helps.

_________________
99 TJ
71 C101
04 KJ
03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:26 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:30 am
Posts: 52
Location: Mexico City
Wow, thanks a lot JJsKJ!!

Now it's more than clear for me.

Today is the day, so I hope every thing goes fine.

I have the torque specs and a torque wrench, so think I won't have any problem with that.

About RTV, couldn't find Permatex here, then I'm gonna use the mopar one. Hope it works OK.

_________________
___________________
2006 Limited 4x4 Silver


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:08 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:38 pm
Posts: 12988
Location: Colorado Springs
The best RTV I have found for trans pans in Ultra Gray,it gets harder then regular RTV and can handle high torque apps.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com