LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

Rear pinion bearing replacement cost?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40597
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Jeep4me99 [ Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Rear pinion bearing replacement cost?

Anyone had done or know what cost would be for replacing the rear pinion bearing? I'm sure its not cheap!!!

Thanks

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Rear pinion bearing replacement cost?

Jeep4me99 wrote:
Anyone had done or know what cost would be for replacing the rear pinion bearing? I'm sure its not cheap!!!

Thanks
The same cost as replacing your gears since the carrier with ring gear needs to come out and so does the pinion,so anywhere from $200-$500.A new crush sleave and of course new bearings are needed,might as well get a master install kit and replace all the seals and bearings while there in there.

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

here's one of the bearing kit's with timken bearings

http://www.alljeep.com/oscommerce/produ ... _id=167925

Author:  Jeep4me99 [ Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

thanks...better start saving...blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jeep4me99 wrote:
thanks...better start saving...blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Didn't you just have a bunch of rear diff work done already?

Author:  Jeep4me99 [ Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:07 am ]
Post subject: 

tjkj2002 wrote:
Jeep4me99 wrote:
thanks...better start saving...blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Didn't you just have a bunch of rear diff work done already?


Nope...i've been looking into getting it done for a while. Been trying to narrow it done as to what was the real issue going on back there.
I posted up a while ago the my friend/mechanic thought the diff was gone, but I really doubt that is it, since i"m good on my fluids and never find many metal particles if any. Looked into the u-joints, but they seem pretty good, so the pinion bearing seems like the next logical choice.

Author:  KY Liberty [ Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

The factory trash lock broke in mine and damaged the pinion bearing. Had it rebuilt with a DTT, all new bearings, seals, and HD Yukon axle shafts. I would have gone to 4.10's at the same time if I didn't already have them. Any time you have the diff taken apart, you should expect at least about $250-$300 in labor. If you half a bunch done, even more.

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jeep4me99 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
Jeep4me99 wrote:
thanks...better start saving...blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Didn't you just have a bunch of rear diff work done already?


Nope...i've been looking into getting it done for a while. Been trying to narrow it done as to what was the real issue going on back there.
I posted up a while ago the my friend/mechanic thought the diff was gone, but I really doubt that is it, since i"m good on my fluids and never find many metal particles if any. Looked into the u-joints, but they seem pretty good, so the pinion bearing seems like the next logical choice.
What issues are you having again with the rear diff?(sorry senior moment and can not remember and to lazy to search 8) ).It may not be the pinion bearings at all.

Author:  Jeep4me99 [ Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

tjkj2002 wrote:
Jeep4me99 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
Jeep4me99 wrote:
thanks...better start saving...blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Didn't you just have a bunch of rear diff work done already?


Nope...i've been looking into getting it done for a while. Been trying to narrow it done as to what was the real issue going on back there.
I posted up a while ago the my friend/mechanic thought the diff was gone, but I really doubt that is it, since i"m good on my fluids and never find many metal particles if any. Looked into the u-joints, but they seem pretty good, so the pinion bearing seems like the next logical choice.
What issues are you having again with the rear diff?(sorry senior moment and can not remember and to lazy to search 8) ).It may not be the pinion bearings at all.


Its a rotational kinda whirring/grinding noise. I originally thought it was just part of the hum from the MT/Rs. But now I know its not. When we had it up on the lift and in drive it was definitely coming from the pumpkin area. The only thing I've done in the back lately is rotors/pads and a caliper.

Author:  JeepinJarhead03 [ Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

i had a 8.25 chrys in my T/A with a really friggin low set of gears, it whirred for about 5k miles then grenaded

not to spook ya or anything :P i actually think i ran it about 700 miles without any grease in it :lol: :oops:

pop the cover and check for spaulding and tooth wear and excessive metal debris

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/