LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

2WD & Snow
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4103
Page 1 of 1

Author:  MikeD0106 [ Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:51 am ]
Post subject:  2WD & Snow

My mom is going to be 'renting' my Libby to go to OK w/ my little brother & sister for a week. Christmas Day to New Years Day. I'm going to make sure that it is up on maintenance and everything before I give it to her, but I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for preparation of her trip. I know she plans on buying chains for her. I just don't know if anything else will be needed. I have a 1st aid kit, emergency kit, flares, and water in there.

Anything else?

Author:  LimitedLurker [ Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

Check on chains - they may not fit. There have been posts on this issue and some have not been able to use chains. I don't remember if people were lifted or running larger tires or what. They may work Ok going strainght ahead but turns may cause the chains to beat parts of the KJ.

Whats the major concern down there, snow or ice? Shovel for snow. Bag of Kitty-litter (or sand) for ice, helps in snow too. Tow strap and points (so they can pull others out of the ditch if they want). Blanket(s) to help keep warm. I like to carry small chemical hand and foot warmers too (find in sporting goods). Maybe some PowerBars or similar product.

Author:  Tokyojoe [ Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Blankets. Spare food (energy bars). 2-way radio (FRS). Cell phone may not work in some areas.

Having an air regulator wouldn't hurt. two flats can happen.

Author:  the1jferg [ Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

"renting" & "Mom" & "Christmas" in the same sentence????

Author:  Flying J [ Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

I would't use a bag of Kitty-litter - it gets slick like clay when wet. Stick w/ sand.

-Vic

Author:  MikeD0106 [ Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

the1jferg wrote:
"renting" & "Mom" & "Christmas" in the same sentence????


Yeah, she insisted on "renting" it. I tried to argue with her, but in the end it's just useless.


Thanks for all the tips guys. If you have anything else please add.

Author:  ManicMechanicJoe [ Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

she probably wont even need the chains. As long as she has plenty of weight in the back (sounds like she will anyways) she'll be fine. I have yet to need 4x4 up here in minnesotaand we have had a couple of snowstorms. The biggest thing is to make sure your cooling system is up to par. Test it to see when it freezes, at what temperature. -30 degrees is a good number up here. If it gets cold make sure she plugs the block heater in. Frost plugs are a PITA to replace.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/