| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Engine consuming coolant? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41634 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | Sean [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:02 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Engine consuming coolant? |
****** Update: I changed my plugs and besides being worn - is there anything specific I be looking for to see if they are burning coolant? ******* Hello everyone, I have been experiencing a problem for the last 15,000 or so miles, my '06 seems to be consuming coolant. I checked for leaks and did not find any, nor have i been finding any coolant underneath my vehicle. I became suspicious that it was being consumed by my engine, so I had an oil analysis done when I changed my oil last. The laboratory findings suggested that there was antifreeze in the oil sample I provided them. I haven't yet measured the exact amount of coolant I am losing, however, 5,000 miles ago I filled the reservoir while the engine was hot from the cold fill line to the hot fill line, and checked yesterday while the engine was hot and the coolant level was back down about 1/2 inch below the cold fill line. Jeep is an 06 with 59,000 miles on it and standard cooling package. Any ideas what could be happening here? head gasket? hairline cracks in cylinder walls? Also looking for input to see if anyone else has experienced this issue. Thanks, Sean |
|
| Author: | Powdrdaze [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Try a pressure test on your cooling system? |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:24 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
if you have antifreeze in the oil stop driving it until you find out the problem or where it is going! Oil and antifreeze do not mix well and could cause some serious problems with the engine |
|
| Author: | JeepinJarhead03 [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:17 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
get the pressure test done asap, its cheeper to find the leak and replace gaskets than it is to fork for a new engine sorry to hear of your misfortunes |
|
| Author: | Sean [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:36 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I will get the pressure test done early next week and keep you posted. Thanks for the advice. Sean. |
|
| Author: | JMSMN [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Is it puffing white smoke, or does the exhaust smell sweet? |
|
| Author: | Sean [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:44 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
JMSMN wrote: Is it puffing white smoke, or does the exhaust smell sweet?
I have not noticed excessive white smoke, or odor changes. Engine oil looks normal when checked/changed. |
|
| Author: | JeepinJarhead03 [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
if you aren't getting baby poo for oil it will most likley be concentrated around the intake rather than a cracked head but that isn't always the case, very hard diagnosis to make, even profuse leaks of coolant, like any other fluid can sometimes be very easy to misdiagnose if you end up going the course to replace head gaskets i'd seriously consider having the heads fluxed and checked for cracks while theyre off have you had a chance to pull the plugs to see if they show signs of burning coolant? |
|
| Author: | Sean [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:06 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
JeepinJarhead03 wrote: have you had a chance to pull the plugs to see if they show signs of burning coolant?
Not yet, I will likely do this before I take it in for pressure test, about due for new plugs anyway, still on original plugs at 58,500. Thanks for the info on having the heads "fluxed" I haven't heard of this before, I'll do some research on it. |
|
| Author: | JeepinJarhead03 [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
nevermind the fluxing, i had a brain fart, aluminum heads can't be magnafluxed the dust/shavings won't stick to aluminum only iron heads sorry for the added confusion i forget what generation I'm living in sometimes, I highly doubt you've got a cracked head anyway, i keep hearing things about our coolant erroding our intake gaskets |
|
| Author: | 03jeepkj [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:12 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
did the motor ever get hot?? if it did you might have warped the heads. |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:08 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
If youre losing that much coolant you would notice an increase in the amount of oil on the dipstick along with a milky oil. Could just be a cracked radiator.. |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:25 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Anti freeze is the #1 killer of engine bearings,stop driving ASAP and get the leak found and fixed. |
|
| Author: | DryBones [ Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:44 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
still under warranty? |
|
| Author: | Sean [ Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:34 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Update: I changed my plugs and besides being worn - is there anything specific I be looking for to see if they are burning coolant? Thanks, Sean |
|
| Author: | Sean [ Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:35 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
DryBones wrote: still under warranty?
Nope, 06 only had 3/36 |
|
| Author: | sleeve84028 [ Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:41 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Sean it sounds like there is a small leak around the head gasket. It's time to have the top half of the motor removed and repaired. You might start by calling over to the Chrysler headquarters and ask them for some assistance in the repair. [not that they will help, but it's a start] The other option you have is pulling a junkyard motor and just replacing the whole thing with a different engine. Running the motor too much longer with coolant in the oil will only further shorten the life of the engine. |
|
| Author: | Edvalencia [ Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:06 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
What type of coolant are you using? |
|
| Author: | Sean [ Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:11 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
whatever came from the factory and been topping off with something that said chrysler compatible - don't know brand off hand |
|
| Author: | Edvalencia [ Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:36 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
I used a "Chrysler compatible" coolant once and started having similar issues. I would fill the coolant reservoir and after a couple of weeks, it was low again. After a while, I also started getting cylinder misfire codes. Once I drained all my coolant and went back to Zerex GO5, which is the recommended coolant, all those problems went away. I changed the coolant about 6 months ago, and my reservoir is still full. No more misfire codes either. (Now I just have to fix my vacuum leak Stupid Jeeps... |
|
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|