| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| Brake Rust http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41808 |
Page 1 of 2 |
| Author: | Hez10 [ Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:31 am ] |
| Post subject: | Brake Rust |
I took my Liberty into have the rear brakes replaced and found out the noise I was hearing was from my rear rotors. The rotors had started to rust through. I have never seen this before in any vehicle. I only have 27k miles. |
|
| Author: | Guest [ Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:45 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Never had it in any vehicle? C'mon, the Jeep's 3 years old...rotors are not painted or protected from rust in any way, so it is not unheard of. Salt+metal=rust |
|
| Author: | JeepinJarhead03 [ Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:34 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
heh about 4-5 days out of a week my jeep typically sits and doesn't get driven one rain cloud and when i drive it the next time the first few times i hit the brakes it makes that dying goose sound as it scrubs the rust off the rotors think about it as 'extra' grit to help you stop many similar vehicles rims are not as open to the weather as ours are, or, have brake dust shields on the inside of the rim which as a byproduct shield them a little more from the weather I know for a fact when I was driving my car that I "USUALLY" didn't giggle and dive it through a giant puddle either Ja Knows? |
|
| Author: | Jeepjeepster [ Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:46 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
By rust through do you mean it rusted all the way through the rotor? Youve got some major problems going on if that happened.. Do you soak your Jeep in a salt bath over night? |
|
| Author: | oddball [ Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:04 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Yeah there's a explanation for this, what it is I am not sure, but it has nothing to do with the fact your vehicle is a Jeep Liberty. |
|
| Author: | Hez10 [ Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:36 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
The rust had started to eat away the rotor, it had not actually gone all the way through. I was surprised that it had happened so early, but I guess it is not to uncommon. My co-worker had to do the same exact thing to his Liberty. My Jeeps have been fairly problematic lately, so more or less I was just venting. |
|
| Author: | JeepinJarhead03 [ Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:37 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
got pictures of this rusting through? |
|
| Author: | Hez10 [ Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
JeepinJarhead03 wrote: got pictures of this rusting through?
Sorry man, the rotors are gone. |
|
| Author: | tommudd [ Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:51 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
wow would of like to of seen those, my 04 with over 120,000 and the ORIGINAL pads on are not rusted any at all, or I mean any more than normal so I would not say it is a common problem as you say it is??? where do you live and park at anyways |
|
| Author: | Hez10 [ Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:59 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Wow that's crazy that you still have the same pads. I live in Denver soooo of course we have salt on our roads during the snowy months. Both Jeeps get alternated into the garage and washed so they are not abused in any way. I thought it was interesting that when I was telling my co-worker about this he said he had the exact same issue. Both his and my mechanic said the same thing "I have never seen anything like this." |
|
| Author: | JeepinJarhead03 [ Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:01 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
musta been some chineez rotors or somethin cause IL's roads are made out of salt and that chloride crap and i've never seen anything other than the car rust through hehe, im sure ohios the same way out towards toms we aren't sayin we don't believe ya, just sayin we woulda liked to have seen that! |
|
| Author: | Hez10 [ Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:07 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
JeepinJarhead03 wrote: musta been some chineez rotors or somethin cause IL's roads are made out of salt and that chloride crap and i've never seen anything other than the car rust through hehe, im sure ohios the same way out towards toms
we aren't sayin we don't believe ya, just sayin we woulda liked to have seen that! Yep who knows, at least it is fixed and back on the road now. Now to tackle my JK problems. |
|
| Author: | Guest [ Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:08 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Hez10 wrote: Both his and my mechanic said the same thing "I have never seen anything like this."
Time to find a new mechanic Did brakes on an '07 Tundra today, and turn rotors on other cars, for that very reason. |
|
| Author: | JeepinJarhead03 [ Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:11 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
people still turnin rotors? when i was workin in a shop last even bus rotors we were just buyin new ones since there was a like 10-15 dollar difference in the price of turnin vs. new |
|
| Author: | Guest [ Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:15 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Well, we turn rotors as part of a brake job. Surprisingly that Tundra had .050" to play with on each side Plus the rotors were going to run him about 160 a pop, so he opted to turn them rather than drop $320 on the suckers, and if he has issues, he'll just get the rotors later. |
|
| Author: | JeepinJarhead03 [ Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:17 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
ahh i gotcha, yeah thats understandable for instance though, my last vehicles rotors were like 28 bucks a piece turning them was like 15 |
|
| Author: | Guest [ Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:06 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Yeah, it kills ThunderbirdJunkie how many people bring in rotors to be turned. 2008 Pontiac G6...like 26 bucks each to put new on there...the guy paid us 14.99/rotor to have them turned. Gotta wonder sometimes... |
|
| Author: | wheeee32 [ Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:00 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
Hez10 wrote: Wow that's crazy that you still have the same pads. I live in Denver soooo of course we have salt on our roads during the snowy months. Both Jeeps get alternated into the garage and washed so they are not abused in any way. I thought it was interesting that when I was telling my co-worker about this he said he had the exact same issue. Both his and my mechanic said the same thing "I have never seen anything like this."
That's weird. I didn't think salt was used in Colorado. I know they use a chemical solution for the intersections along with sand here but I've never seen salt used. |
|
| Author: | Hez10 [ Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:01 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
wheeee32 wrote: That's weird. I didn't think salt was used in Colorado. I know they use a chemical solution for the intersections along with sand here but I've never seen salt used. You might be right. I always assumed they used salt. |
|
| Author: | Sir Sam [ Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:14 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
Hez10 wrote: wheeee32 wrote: That's weird. I didn't think salt was used in Colorado. I know they use a chemical solution for the intersections along with sand here but I've never seen salt used. You might be right. I always assumed they used salt. We don't use salt, we use Magnesium Chloride, which while I'm sure it still promotes some corrosion, is nothing like pure salt. In colorado we are lucky, rusty vehicles are not really an issue here, I am surprised you have had any issues at all, I have tons of stock rotors that are much older than yours and never have seen anything like this. Honestly I see more rust in southern california because of the humidity than I do here. |
|
| Page 1 of 2 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|