| LOST JEEPS http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ |
|
| What's involved in a compression test? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41912 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | DryBones [ Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:02 am ] |
| Post subject: | What's involved in a compression test? |
Thought I would throw this out and see what you guys know. I have never done one or had one done but thinking it might be a good idea now that the old girl has 90k on her. So what do I need or is this a dealer thing? |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:22 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
To do it correctly the engine will need to warm(be very careful here) and then remove all 6 spark plugs and leave them out.Pull the fuel pump relay and make sure the coil packs are disconnected.Screw in the compression hoes,finger tight only,and crank engine over for 2-3 seconds.Repeat for the other 5 cylinders.The normal compression for a 3.7 is 170-225psi,the compression should not be more then 25% difference between cylinders. |
|
| Author: | KJ kyle [ Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:57 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
dont forget your wet test |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:04 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
KJ kyle wrote: dont forget your wet test That is usually saved for when the psi is vastly different from one cylinder to the next.
|
|
| Author: | DryBones [ Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:52 am ] |
| Post subject: | |
how much should I expect a dealer to charge me for this? |
|
| Author: | tjkj2002 [ Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:02 pm ] |
| Post subject: | |
DryBones wrote: how much should I expect a dealer to charge me for this? Most likely the same cost as replacing the spark plugs since they need to be removed,which is about 1.5 hours labor If I remember for a KJ kith a 3.7.
|
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|