It is currently Wed Oct 07, 2026 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: rear illumination
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:42 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 1496
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
I'd like to add some rear illumination, but not in the way everyone else does. I'm not concerned about using them as reverse lights, I just want to light the area behind the Jeep for setting up camp etc. What I'm thinking are some smallish LED lights mounted on the interior roof just in front of the black plastic trim up there or actually on the trim. I would like to be able to aim them, probably just vertically, no need to swivel.

My ideal vision is a rectangular LED light that is fairly thin and has a hinge to allow it to fold up flat against the roof or swing down into the opening and light up the area.

Ive looked around but I think someone on here might have a better idea of where to find something like this.

Here's what I've found so far that is sort of like what I'm looking for, but not quite:
http://www.vehiclelight.com/0185000.html
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/closertowholesale/Items/007-49b-55?&caSKU=007-49b-55&caTitle=55W%20RV%20Cargo%20Enclosed%20Trailer%20Work%20Ramp%20Halogen%20Lights

_________________
-Jon-
02 Jeep Liberty - LOST Trail Tested Edition - sold
09 VW Tiguan 4motion - current


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:03 pm 
Offline
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 pm
Posts: 27226
Location: NOW Southeastern Ohio/ Tanzania
www.4statetrucks.com
has some back up lights that may work for you ,
oval with 13 diodes , PN# TLEDOBMW
also have
4 inch round ones with 19 diodes PN# TLED4W ,

would not be hard to make a backing plate with a hinge on it

_________________
MUDD'S MOTORSPORT'S We do IFS lift installs ,
03 OVERLAND EDITION /Kilby-Skidrow-Mopar-4XGuard skids/ 2.5 inch TOTAL CONTROL JBA coilovers -JBA Arms/MOABS-31 FALKEN WILDPEAK AT3W / 4.10's etc, 04 Kilimanjaro Edition loaded, plus 05 KJ limited


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:29 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 12:32 pm
Posts: 885
Location: Cincinnati-ish, Ohio
I bought a cheap set of rectangular fogs from walmart for $15 and bolted them to my roof basket. With the supplied switch powered through the fuse panel in the door, you can power the lights with the jeep on or off. I use them all the time when I'm out at night: camping, working, hauling band gear, etc.

If you make it to the Rally, I'll show you the set up.

_________________
'04 Renegade 4x4
L.O.S.T. #058466
Car Domain, Updated: 2/23/2009
===_oooo
(_l_|_,\____\,_
{----__---_(olllllllo)
()_)"""""()_)--"--)_)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:46 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 1496
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
meh_kick wrote:
I bought a cheap set of rectangular fogs from walmart for $15 and bolted them to my roof basket. With the supplied switch powered through the fuse panel in the door, you can power the lights with the jeep on or off. I use them all the time when I'm out at night: camping, working, hauling band gear, etc.

If you make it to the Rally, I'll show you the set up.


cool, thanks. I plan on being there!

_________________
-Jon-
02 Jeep Liberty - LOST Trail Tested Edition - sold
09 VW Tiguan 4motion - current


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:53 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 1496
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
See, what I dont like about having them above the door on a rack or something is the fact that the glass will block the light when the door is open, and when the door is open is probably when I want to be using them most. This is why I'm thinking of the interior roof for mounting.

_________________
-Jon-
02 Jeep Liberty - LOST Trail Tested Edition - sold
09 VW Tiguan 4motion - current


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:18 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 12:32 pm
Posts: 885
Location: Cincinnati-ish, Ohio
I gotcha. But there's not that much difference with the glass in the way. It's good shade for my eyes though so I don't go staring directly at them when I'm getting stuff out of the back.

_________________
'04 Renegade 4x4
L.O.S.T. #058466
Car Domain, Updated: 2/23/2009
===_oooo
(_l_|_,\____\,_
{----__---_(olllllllo)
()_)"""""()_)--"--)_)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:10 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:40 pm
Posts: 1496
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
meh_kick wrote:
I gotcha. But there's not that much difference with the glass in the way. It's good shade for my eyes though so I don't go staring directly at them when I'm getting stuff out of the back.


Good point for sure! I didnt really think about getting BLINDED by them!

_________________
-Jon-
02 Jeep Liberty - LOST Trail Tested Edition - sold
09 VW Tiguan 4motion - current


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com