LOST JEEPS
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/

HELP! Electrical Gremlins Are Back Again!!
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45755
Page 1 of 1

Author:  LibertyRenegade [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:25 pm ]
Post subject:  HELP! Electrical Gremlins Are Back Again!!

Ok so I had one freaky wiring issue fixed in my KJ.
Now I have another...

Now & then I just drive down the road and my dome lights come on for a minute then turna off. Has anyone incountered this problem. Brought it to chrysler because she is under warranty and they said they couldn't fix it because it didn't do it when they had it. :evil: So WHAT THE HECK DID THEY THINK I MEANT WHEN I SAID IT WAS RANDOM!!!!

So browsing JeepKJ & found this:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29066 -> What is a Multifunction Stalk TSB???

I am trying to get this problem figured out before the warranty ruins out :( Thx

Author:  David Jr [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

The turn signal stalk.

Author:  scrappy04 [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have not had that problem but sometimes my dome light won't go off and then other times it won't come on. So far it has just happen a few times so I figure I'll just ignore it for now.

Author:  oddball [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

David Jr wrote:
The turn signal stalk.

Yeah, I too have noticed this happening to me and just the other day realized, or should I say, am now 99% sure the turn signal stalk is the culprit.

Anyone done this? I hate electrical :evil: But I'm willing to give it a shot if it's not too big a PITA.

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

Its fairly cheap and easy to replace. Been needing to replace mine for a couple years now but Im too lazy to do it. :?

Author:  LibertyFever [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Too bad the dealership didn't do thier job :cry: Maybe you should take it to another dealership, some are better than others.
I work in the electronic service industry and when I'm faced with an intermittent or randomly occurring problem I troubleshoot the problem and replace the parts that could cause such a problem. It's not rocket science.

I suspect it's a flacky doorswitch or turn signal stalk, maybe even a pinched wire.

Author:  oddball [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jeepjeepster wrote:
Its fairly cheap and easy to replace. Been needing to replace mine for a couple years now but Im too lazy to do it. :?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'll probably wait until I see smoke coming out from the stalk. :lol:

Author:  tjkj2002 [ Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

LibertyFever wrote:
Too bad the dealership didn't do thier job :cry: Maybe you should take it to another dealership, some are better than others.
I work in the electronic service industry and when I'm faced with an intermittent or randomly occurring problem I troubleshoot the problem and replace the parts that could cause such a problem. It's not rocket science.

I suspect it's a flacky doorswitch or turn signal stalk, maybe even a pinched wire.
Totally wrong approach for the automotive service industry,we can not say it "could" be this(which the customer has to pay for) then when it doesn't work still make you pay for more parts.Intermittent problems are the worst since we the technicians can not diagnose a fualt that does not exist until the vehicle does that certain fault then we can diagnose it.Now there is the problem,time.Time is money in the automotive service field where we get paid flat rate,we can not spend(or like to is more like,but you can not blame us since we have bills to pay also) hours driving your vehicle to get it to do what you are claiming it does "every so often" since we may only get paid .5 hours for the diagnoses so we will not spend 2+ hours trying to diag it(working 1.5 hours for free).

Author:  LibertyRenegade [ Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:15 am ]
Post subject: 

Ok here is the question. What would the turn signal stalk have anything to do with the internal lights (dome light). Im thinkin it may be a door latch or something.

Author:  Jeepjeepster [ Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:43 am ]
Post subject: 

Youve never turned the interior lights on and off with the switch? Thats one of its many uses.

Author:  LibertyRenegade [ Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:52 am ]
Post subject: 

:oops: ooo yeah.. havnt had my morning coffee yet :lol:

Author:  oddball [ Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

And in my case, wiggling the t/s stalk will make the dome lights flicker.

Author:  Liberty for All [ Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:39 pm ]
Post subject:  What style!

Good photos. Really BLACK color scheme Oddball.
I notice the SkunkWerks sticker. Do you do work for government or industrial Black Ops outfit? Black projects, Black budget above Top Secret?

8) :wink:

Author:  oddball [ Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What style!

Liberty for All wrote:
Good photos. Really BLACK color scheme Oddball.
I notice the SkunkWerks sticker. Do you do work for government or industrial Black Ops outfit? Black projects, Black budget above Top Secret?

8) :wink:

No. They're purchased from pixel decals- who is a vendor member here on LOST Jeeps.

Author:  Prospect62 [ Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have a non-foglamp turn signal stalk somewhere around here if either of you guys want to buy it. They go for around $50 on eBay last time I looked. I could do better. :D

Author:  oddball [ Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks, but I'll need the top shelf stalk if or when I replace it.

Author:  Prospect62 [ Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

K.

Author:  icarl [ Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:38 am ]
Post subject: 

tjkj2002 wrote:
Time is money in the automotive service field where we get paid flat rate,we can not spend(or like to is more like,but you can not blame us since we have bills to pay also) hours driving your vehicle to get it to do what you are claiming it does "every so often" since we may only get paid .5 hours for the diagnoses so we will not spend 2+ hours trying to diag it(working 1.5 hours for free).


It's similar in the computer industry although some brands pay better than others when doing warranty work. The manufacturer's warranty doesn't usually pay us to diagnose a warranty problem, they just pay us a set amount to replace parts so what ends up happening is we make quick decisions and replace parts at manufacturers expense until problem is solved. If it's a software issue then it's no longer warranty and is the customers expense. No one wants to work for free and usually the customer does not want to pay anything.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/